cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Death Valley in May

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
We have an opportunity to visit Death Valley National Park in mid-May. Is it likely to be too hot by then?
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C
10 REPLIES 10

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you're going to be in the area definitely drive through the park if only staying a night. How often will you get a chance to see (& feel) what it's really like? Europeans make it a point to visit in mid-summer to do just that!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for great information. We are going to be in Bullhead City, Arizona in May, headed from there to Yakima Washington. Maybe we'll watch the weather and take the slight detour to Death Valley National Park if it looks like there's going to be a cool snap.
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it is too late to really enjoy the Park. You can head for the upper elevations and do your outdoor activites in the early morning. I like Feb best, but have had trips in March when it was too hot. There is little shade and no water. It is a rigorous environment in winter, but by May you are in serious summer conditions. You can die out there. It is no joke. The other point is that it does not cool off. It can be 75-80 as a low temperature for the day. There is no relief.

dedmiston
We were there in February and it was 85 by 10:00 am.

We camp and ride in the cooler desert areas outside of Ridgecrest and itโ€™s too hot by May. I wouldnโ€™t go to DV that late in the season.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The link given above to the average weather was monitored at Indian Spring, Nevada at 3133' elevation.

Death Valley is 282' BELOW sea level so temps will be quite different.

According to the national park web site the average high for May is 100 deg and a low of 73 deg.

We were enroute to Oregon one year from Arizona and decided to cut through Death Valley. May 10 it was 112 deg. We stayed without electric and sat outside all night! Left the next morning and returned in November for wonderful temperatures. ๐Ÿ™‚

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/weather.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
C&J wrote:
We have an opportunity to visit Death Valley National Park in mid-May. Is it likely to be too hot by then?

While you might not have control for your trip dates, It would not be my 1st choice, mid-April would be better. Make sure every thing mechanical in top shape, I would also carry 10 1 gal. water container in case of emergency and also carry an extra set of belts for you engine.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you in an electric site at Furnace Creek?
I don't mind the heat so much if I can look forward to cooling off in the evening.
Otherwise I say go as DV is a favorite of mine. Just roll out if the heat gets unbearable.

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I was there April 14-17, 2016. It was 95-100 degrees by mid afternoon.
Mornings and evenings were comfortable. I was looking for someplace cool to hide out from the sun for the afrternoons. Dante's View is high elevation, and was cooler for that time of day.

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
I frequently stay in Death Valley. I have seen 108 degrees on Mother's Day. I have seen snow on Telegraph Peak on Memorial Day. All you can do is watch the weather forecast for the few days before go. If it will be hot, make sure your AC is working properly.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
DEpends on the weather which you may have noticed is unpredictable. Early May would on average be OK but later in the month is more likely to start getting hot. May 2016; you can see the temps ranged up to 94 deg.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper