cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheaha state park in Alabama

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Planing a trip here and wondering what is the best route to get there. We will be coming up I-65 to Montgomery, pulling a 33 foot fifth wheel. Map quest has us getting off interstate 173 getting on US231 going to SR9 , SR77 working way up though there to the park. My question is what is the best route for pulling a fifth wheel to this park. Thanks for any replies and help
5 REPLIES 5

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to take our time and went up 49 very nice ride and nice scenery

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Proably going to go up to I-20

rctaw
Explorer
Explorer
If we are in a hurry we just go to Montgomery and stay on I65 to I20 and then take exit 188 to the Leon Smith Parkway and on over to HWY 281 which approaches the park from the Northeast. HWY 281 is very steep when close to the park but not a big deal.
Usually we are not in a hurry and at Montgomery we take I85 east and turn north on Hwy 49. We then turn northwest on HWY 77 toward Ashland and then take Clay County 31 to Highland. Then take the small county roads to HWY 281 which approaches the park from the southwest. Sometimes it seems like it takes forever on this route because it is a slow drive through small towns (with stop signs) but it is a pretty area and you get the bonus of stopping in at the Horseshoe Bend National Military Park if you want to. It is a nice 1 to 2 hour stop if you like that sort of thing. We do this with an F350 and a 28ft fifth wheel and we have no problems.

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We visited it years ago. Don't recall much about the road, other than it was steep. Great park we need a re-visit.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper