cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gulf State Park

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Anybody know what Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores Alabama is like? They don't seem to post any pictures of their campsites on their reservation system. Seems to be a rather large campground. Is it close to the beach? Is it still reality warm there in November?
7 REPLIES 7

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
d1h wrote:
Anybody know what Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores Alabama is like? They don't seem to post any pictures of their campsites on their reservation system. Seems to be a rather large campground. Is it close to the beach? Is it still reality warm there in November?

"The average temperature in Gulf Shores in November for a typical day ranges from a high of 70ยฐF (21ยฐC) to a low of 59ยฐF (15ยฐC). Some would describe it as mildly cool with a gentle breeze."

I've stayed there in November and it was pretty much as the quote above says. I have a booking for next May - just managed to find it. The place is booked solid as soon as sites become available. One of the hardest places to get into but, IMHO, one of the best. Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
The worst thing about it is that everyone has found out about it, and it is hard to get into.
We are headed there Thursday for a few days. It is a huge park with almost 500 sites. Biking trails are great and you can walk/bike to the beach on boardwalks over the marsh. It's our favorite beach campground.
The fall is a great time to be there, as long as a hurricane doesn't visit.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
I personally have not been but my parents frequent the campground to escape the Michigan winters. They echo the same comments as above. If I had a more predictable schedule and could confidently make advanced reservations, I would certainly go there based on what I hear!

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
We wintered there for the first time this past Jan-March. Going again this next winter. Have been there for short stays a few times before. It is a very large CG. Sites range from large to very large, all with full hookups. Not packed in like many private campgrounds. While some may be better, there really isn't a bad spot anywhere. About 20 miles of paved walking/biking paths. Small lakes for "fresh water" (well brackish) fishing/boating. This past winter, the coldest was about 40 at night, and 55-60 during the day. But many days trended warmer, especially as the winter progressed. From the CG, it is about a 1/2 mile to 2 mile walk to the beach (it IS a huge campground). Large dog park, with dog swimming access to one of the lakes. You also get free parking at the beach pavilions if you drive there. Nothing between the CG and the beach except natural land, and dunes (no condos, etc.). They have a great fishing pier, free access with a campground pass. There is a fee to actually fish, though. Pier was damaged in a past hurricane, but due to be repaired this fall/winter. Huge swimming pool, heated and open all year. Very close to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach for stores and dining - can bike if you don't want to drive. On site free bike share program, or several nearby bike rental places.
Ranks at the very top of being one of the best state parks in the Country, and deserves it. Can be hard to get into, so plan well ahead. They have a one day period in November when you can go on line to rent monthly spots from Dec-March the next year.(ie in 2023 you reserve for winter months in 2024-2025)

Last year we were there for the first week of Nov., and it was routinely in the high 70's to 80 each day.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice campground. Been there going on six years now. This year, my trip will be in Oct. Hoping it will be cooler than when we typically go, which is July.

It is close to the beach. Park entrance is right across the street from beach. Nice bike trails through park.

We really enjoy it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google Street view covers the entire campground.

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Click on campground map and it opens a pdf of the whole campgroun

https://www.alapark.com/parks/gulf-state-park/rv-and-primitive-campground
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD