cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charlotte NC area campgrounds

longrider1100
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone recommend a clean affordable campground near Charlotte and I-77. Planning to be there near June 20th-21st. Thanks.
Time to camp.
18 REPLIES 18

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
prolandsurveyor wrote:
I like fort wilderness near carowinds.

He said affordable. Lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
I like fort wilderness near carowinds.
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
Seems to me that Charlotte would be a great place to open a new campground. I've seen similar threads so many times I can't count.

Yeah, but the cost of building one is the ticker. There are some decent ones, but you gotta be out of the city. The further you drive, the better chance you have of finding a nicer one (depending on ammenities).
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me that Charlotte would be a great place to open a new campground. I've seen similar threads so many times I can't count.

Back when my son lived there we wanted to take the RV for a visit but struck out when looking for a CG close by.

schrecker96
Explorer
Explorer
mockybird wrote:
IN SC check out Andrew Jackson State Park. Not far into SC and just below Mathews I think.

It's actually south of Pineville, but there are backroads to get you to Matthews. Forgot about that one...good call!
2010 Jayco Eagle 313RKS

mockybird
Explorer
Explorer
IN SC check out Andrew Jackson State Park. Not far into SC and just below Mathews I think.
Gary

schrecker96
Explorer
Explorer
Friday Nights is stop and go between I-77 and Matthews on 485. Now that I think of it I-85 is stop and go at rush hour between TJ and I-77...so no way to avoid it on a Friday unless you get in town before 3pm.
2010 Jayco Eagle 313RKS

Tarheel_2
Explorer
Explorer
schrecker96 wrote:
Tarheel 2 wrote:
We recently attended a 4 day national JR ice hockey tournament next to Matthews and stayed at the Tom Johnson RV park at Concord. It was about a 15-20 minute straight shot drive on the bypass to the arena.
After checking RV Park Reviews for the Charlotte area, I wasn't impressed with any of the rest of them. The Johnson facility is next door to the Charlotte Motor Speedway and it is a large well kept facility.

http://www.tomjohnsoncamping.com/Page.aspx/pageId/30741/Tom-Johnson-Concord-Campground.aspx

I agree Tom Johnson has the easiest access to the Extreme Ice Center during peak traffic times.

We were there during the week of the Food Lion car show at the speedway. It was a straight shot from the campground intersection to the bypass and we traveled past Matthews to the Extreme Ice Center during rush hour both ways and had no holdups. Traffic was heavier during rush hour, but no stop and go.
Tarheel

schrecker96
Explorer
Explorer
Tarheel 2 wrote:
We recently attended a 4 day national JR ice hockey tournament next to Matthews and stayed at the Tom Johnson RV park at Concord. It was about a 15-20 minute straight shot drive on the bypass to the arena.
After checking RV Park Reviews for the Charlotte area, I wasn't impressed with any of the rest of them. The Johnson facility is next door to the Charlotte Motor Speedway and it is a large well kept facility.

http://www.tomjohnsoncamping.com/Page.aspx/pageId/30741/Tom-Johnson-Concord-Campground.aspx

I agree Tom Johnson has the easiest access to the Extreme Ice Center during peak traffic times.
2010 Jayco Eagle 313RKS

schrecker96
Explorer
Explorer
KOA in Fort Mill, Carowinds Campground or McDowell Park are your best bet if you want to be near I-77. With access to Matthews area.
2010 Jayco Eagle 313RKS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
longrider1100 wrote:
schrecker96 wrote:
Depending on which side of town you are visiting. (North or South) will dictate where you stay due to traffic. Where on I-77 do you need to be?

I think southeast, something like Matthews???

The closest to you will be either the Fort Mill KOA or going over to Concord. Either way, you are going to have to deal with traffic, no matter which one you pick and the time of day you are moving about. Ft Mill KOA is a typical KOA. Trees, pool, etc. You can cut across a couple of back roads and get on Hwy 51 (Pineville-Matthews Rd). It will be busy, but will be better than getting on 485.

The Tom Johnson Camping "Resort" is a gravel parking lot pit. The Tom Johnson dealership oftens uses part of it as an overflow. They do not own the RV Park, even though their name is on it. If there are racing events going on, then it can be loud. The Zmaxx dragway buts right up to it. The dirt track is not too far away either and of course CMS is right across the street. Best bet from there will be 485 and Schrecker will tell you what a nightmare it can be.

There is no real good way of getting to Matthews unless you are south of it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Tarheel_2
Explorer
Explorer

Tarheel

longrider1100
Explorer
Explorer
schrecker96 wrote:
Depending on which side of town you are visiting. (North or South) will dictate where you stay due to traffic. Where on I-77 do you need to be?

I think southeast, something like Matthews???
Time to camp.

schrecker96
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Jayco Eagle 313RKS