cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

boondocking on old US66 between Kingman and Ash Fork AZ.

dannydimitt
Explorer
Explorer
boondocking on old US66 between Kingman and Ash Fork AZ.

We are interested if anyone has stayed or knows of any dry camping spots along this stretch of old Route 66 "now Az state highway 66" .

We will be traveling the Mother Road on the 3rd of April and would love to camp along this fine old original stretch of pure Americana and listen for the ghosts of old dust bowl travelers as they pass by seeking the "promise of a better life" out in California .

Will be our first time on this section of 66 and would like it to be "special" for the wife and grand kids "if they get to go.

I hear Peach Springs was the inspiration that turned into Radiator Springs on the "Cars" movie.

We will be in a 3/4 ton Dodge , pulling a short 22 ft Airstream
and don't mind some dirt and rocks.

Any help would be appreciated.:)
5 REPLIES 5

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Off Pavement wrote:
Less than 10 miles east of Ash Fork is a great free, flat, next to old 66 boondocking area that is just off I-40. If you walk along the old US-66 highway, you will find thousands of old tin cans thrown out by long gone travelers. There is some shade, but the area could be muddy if wet.

The camping area is on the north side of the interstate at exit 151. Here is a link to a map and more info...

Free Camping Near Williams/Ash Fork

X2,I have Boondocked there before,if it rains you will need 4wd in places.If you make it t Needles there are lots of places to camp near the old 66

Latest GMC seen boondocking off of old 66 near Needles

OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
Less than 10 miles east of Ash Fork is a great free, flat, next to old 66 boondocking area that is just off I-40. If you walk along the old US-66 highway, you will find thousands of old tin cans thrown out by long gone travelers. There is some shade, but the area could be muddy if wet.

The camping area is on the north side of the interstate at exit 151. Here is a link to a map and more info...

Free Camping Near Williams/Ash Fork
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

Moved from Forum Technical Support

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
RT66 between Kingman and Ashfork is the old road and maintained in reasonable condition for travelers as we have traveled it numerous times. Stop at Grand Canyon Caverns, located just a few miles east of Peach Springs, Arizona, They are among the largest of dry caverns in the United States and they have a campground onsite. There is quite a bit of open and private land along this route but I would check before venturing off the beaten path. There are many roads off RT66 that have signs posted to gates with information if entering the areas.
I noticed you did not asked about RT66 between Kingman and Oatman but for your information I would not recommend you take the trailer on RT66 from Kingman to Oatman as it is very narrow, quite a grade and many switchback, I believe there is signage stating not recommended for TT or vehicles over a certain length.
Have a great trip.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
old 66 between Kingman and Az. 95 is now Az. 10, a route over the mountain through Oatman to Needles.
As you turn west off of the interstate 40 on shinarump rd., onto old 66, you will pass through private land for a while, then climb into the pass, dropping by goldfield mine then into Oatman. I do not know of a road off of old 66 there that would work for boondocking with any trailer. You could unhitch at the first turnout over the pass, and go reconnoitre.
There are turnouts at the switchbacks just over the pass before Goldfield ( private) to dry camp. One turnout below Goldfield offers fabulous views, a pioneer cemetary.
You can find it in google maps. . Enjoy our public lands.