cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue Ridge Parkway

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
I will be in Raleigh & only have a couple days, I would like to experience the Blue Ridge Parkway & hopefully have some opportunity to hike. I will be in a Class B
Can someone recommend a campground, I will be there mid October
Thanks
Dennis
5 REPLIES 5

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend the book on the Blue Ridge Parkway by Rose Houk.

If it were me, I'd head west from Raleigh and get on the Parkway at Deep Gap, NC. Then I'd head north on the Parkway. Depending on your interests, and depending on how much driving you want to do each day, you might consider stopping at the Blue Ridge Music Center, just north of the NC-VA border.

If you are looking for just dry camping, right on the Parkway, there are a few options. Doughton Park, Rocky Knob, Peaks of Otter, and Otter Creek are all within what would be about a 600-mile loop, returning to Raleigh from the north. Each of these campgrounds has at least a couple of hiking trails accessible right from the campground.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Dennis,

We were warned. Some of the campgrounds are just paved parking lots that charge money to sleep there. I suggest that you do the research. We did the whole run from except Skyline (we did the run starting in Cherokee)in 2010. It was spring except for the high elevations where it was still winter. We never paid for a campground, but we rarely do anyway. Blacktopping is fine with us. We were supposed to overnight in the campground as Pisgah, but it wasn't open because the crew was still cleaning up the road after a later winter storm.

Matt

Matt: Where did you stop without paying for a spot?

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
Their are several campgrounds around boone/blowing rock area,and lots of good hiking along the parkway,most with great views.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis,

We were warned. Some of the campgrounds are just paved parking lots that charge money to sleep there. I suggest that you do the research. We did the whole run from except Skyline (we did the run starting in Cherokee)in 2010. It was spring except for the high elevations where it was still winter. We never paid for a campground, but we rarely do anyway. Blacktopping is fine with us. We were supposed to overnight in the campground as Pisgah, but it wasn't open because the crew was still cleaning up the road after a later winter storm.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Considering that the Parkway is about 470 miles long, in 2 days you will only see a small part of it.

Suggest you look up the tons of info on the internet and you will find your answers there.

We spent two weeks on it several years ago and did not see all of it.

Numerous campgrounds all along the way.
Jim Hunter