cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Bend National Park

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are thinking about a trip down there in Febr. and wondering about campgrounds near the park. We would be staying a week and BIL would bring his horses. Anyone have information on campgrounds with hookups and or areas with horse pens? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Sorry, forgot to see which forum I was posting in.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pigkisser
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the other post on Stillwell Ranch. It's a real working ranch with lot's of history and very friendly people. Just be advised that it is not a "resort", but does have full hook ups. It is located on FM Hwy 2627 just outside the east entrance of BBNP.
2007 Jayco Seneca 33SS
2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door 4X4 toad
Ready Brute/Ready Brake tow bar/brake combination
Yeti Ice Chest

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Pigkisser
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the other post on Stillwell Ranch. It's a real working ranch with lot's of history and very friendly people. Just be advised that it is not a "resort", but does have full hook ups. It is located on FM Hwy 2627 just outside the east entrance of BBNP.
2007 Jayco Seneca 33SS
2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door 4X4 toad
Ready Brute/Ready Brake tow bar/brake combination
Yeti Ice Chest

Bfos
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a week at Maverick Ranch, an absolutely awesome place to stay! The parks were so beautiful. One of the best trips we have had.

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
We also have stayed at Maverick- nice place and if you are picky about where your horses stay- Lajitas stables is the best I have seen anywhere near Big Bend. The golf course is amazing.

jram116
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently staying at Maverick Ranch RV Park about 25 miles outside of Big Bend. They have their own horse stable here in Lajitas. You may be able to work something out, or they may be able to direct you. Gl, its great down here but very remote.
2011 Ford F-350 DRW
2014 Fuzion 404 Chrome

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
gwalter wrote:
We are thinking about a trip down there in Febr. and wondering about campgrounds near the park. We would be staying a week and BIL would bring his horses. Anyone have information on campgrounds with hookups and or areas with horse pens? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Sorry, forgot to see which forum I was posting in.

Be sure to learn about snakebite when out in the sticks with horses. Best be prepared if there's any warm weather for them to be active. Lots 'o snakes down there.

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a horse but I have seen some camping at the Stillwell Store and campground. It is just out side the park on the East entrance. I think they have a trail ride about that time but you can check with them.

http://stillwellstore.com/
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Moved from Forum Technical Support