cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware sign for $10 RV full hookups on I-10

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
On I-10 between Palm Springs and San Bernardino (a/k/a the middle of nowhere), there's an RV park right on the interstate with a sign advertising $10 RV full hookups.

I went and said I saw the sign and asked if they had a space for my motorhome for one night, and the woman said it's a membership campground and not open to the public, and I tried to hand me a sheet with a number to call. I said, "So you have a sign on the highway that says full hookup RV sites for $10 but you don't actually offer full hookup RV sites for $10?" She said that's how it is.

So if you're traveling along that stretch and think you're willing to stay in a skanky RV park right on the highway if you can have air conditioning for $10, don't be fooled.
16 REPLIES 16

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
There is a campground between Havasu and Parker with a similar set up. I don't think you would get anywhere notifying BBB or anyone else, the one we saw also had a sign just on the entry drive saying private campground.

No worth my time complaining.

Those are membership camp grounds and you can stay at the one in Havasu Springs for the $10 as long as you listen to their 90 min speal about buying a membership. No thanks.
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned it is a membership CG, and from having considered staying there, the $10 rate is for an add on program to which I belong - RPI.

No, there are not many RPI affiliate CG on the east coast. But I do count 28 CG which belong to my membership program in New England, NY, NJ, eastern PA, VA, NC, SC and close to 45 CG in Florida. All for my annual membership fee and an add on program. About $1,000 per year. And I definitely spend more than 100 nights per year in the membership program CG per year.

During our 2015 trip from Key West to Maine and back to Texas, we did not belong to that membership program, but using Passport America, federal government CG and military bases we never paid more than $30 per night. Yes, many of those were only electric and water CG.

Though I would not consider Cherry Valley the middle of nowhere in the California desert. It is more like I-95 in Georgia or SC as far a populated areas near the freeway. Just a lot fewer trees, but that applies to most of the nation west of Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
I have never seen an advertisement for $10 full hookup, especially here on the east coast. I am not surprised that there was some form of strings attached.

I remember in New Mexico, in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, staying at an RV Park that had a sign advertising RV spaces for $10. Can't remember if the sign said if they were full hookup sites, but they were. No strings attached. And it was about what you'd expect for $10, which was fine with me.

That's why I believed the sign in the middle of the California desert, for an RV park that is sitting right on I-10 and presumably a lot noisier than the one in New Mexico.

Obviously this would never happen on the east coast.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen an advertisement for $10 full hookup, especially here on the east coast. I am not surprised that there was some form of strings attached.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
BTW - my information on that park says it is all 30Amp, no 50Amp electricity.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I think that sign isn't fraudulent, just misleading and stupid. Fraud would be if they lured you in and then charged you more money. That sign lured you in, but they wouldn't let you in and didn't take your money!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
gemsworld wrote:
I believe that park belongs to Colorado River Adventures, which is a membership system and the $10 is probably what members pay.That sign has been there forever. I agree the sign is misleading and should clearly state the price is for members only.

CRA...Cherry Valley Lakes Resort
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
There is a campground between Havasu and Parker with a similar set up. I don't think you would get anywhere notifying BBB or anyone else, the one we saw also had a sign just on the entry drive saying private campground.

Yea, I have driven by it many times. A friend finally stopped in & an overnight with full hookups is $60.00.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I believe that park belongs to Colorado River Adventures, which is a membership system and the $10 is probably what members pay.That sign has been there forever. I agree the sign is misleading and should clearly state the price is for members only.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rice wrote:
Apparently that sign has been there for a long time, so my only goal is to keep people from falling for it. To get to the campground from the freeway you have to take a circuitous route, and I'm trying to save people the trouble.

Would that be Cherry Valley?

Hard to warn w/o naming the place......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently that sign has been there for a long time, so my only goal is to keep people from falling for it. To get to the campground from the freeway you have to take a circuitous route, and I'm trying to save people the trouble.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch is correct. Minor modification would make it legal but not moral.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
If they have a higher non-members rate, they might get away with just adding "Start at..." or "...and up." to the sign.

People sometimes don't "see" everything that is there.

IF.....the sign really doesn't have any "qualifiers" like that on it, I certainly would at least take a picture of it and report them to the BBB in the area.....if there is one.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"