cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American West Historical Sites / Towns / Places to Visit

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, Rookie RVer :C here. Do you know of a place(s) to visit where the focus is the old American West? (Historical sites, museums, small town(s), etc.). Your suggestion will be added to my 2018 Summer Places to Visit Bucket List........
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"
31 REPLIES 31

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
Boot Hill cemetery in Ogallala Nebraska. This town was the end of the great Texas cattle drives of the late 1800’s. Lots of interesting history in the most unexpected place. We came across this totally by accident. Neat little town.

Bill
Brenda, Bill
Our little dog Madison has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 40ft. Spartan chassis
400 hp Cummins ISL

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few in different areas. Ft Verde in Arizona was an old Army post from the 1880's. Some of the buildings have been restored and are open to the public. In Marysville,Kansas,there is an original Pony Express barn where they would keep horses and riders could rest after they completed a section. There is a Pony Express Station in Hollenberg ,Kansa too. Both are pretty neat.Along I-90 in South Dakota is the 1880's old town.Which is a building from the old west.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
What does west mean what states are you talking about

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
If you're heading through WY on Highway 191 (between Rock Springs and Jackson), the Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale is pretty interesting. It focuses on the fur trading that went on in the Rocky Mountains in the 19th century... so a little different than the normal "Wild West" type of museums.

Pinedale is also a great little town in general but I'm a bit biased, my father in law lives there.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
South Park City, in Fairplay CO. About an hour SW of Denver on US 285. It's a recreated Old West town from buildings collected throughout the region, great way to spend a day. And the drive itself to get there is magnificent, regardless of which way you come.

US 285 out of Denver will take you through some beautiful areas as you make your way to Kenosha Pass at 10000 feet and the incredible vista from the top of the pass that is South Park.

Or coming up US 24 from Colorado Springs, also a beautiful view as you enter South Park from the east, albeit not quite as dramatic as the view from Kenosha Pass.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Tombstone, Arizona should be added to your list.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
As others have noted, the West is a big place! Rather than making a list that may not cover where you are going, I suggest you check what is available in all the small towns you camp near. Most have museums that run from excellent to laughable, but there are so many of them that making a list doesn't work. An example of an offbeat one I enjoyed was the Fossil Museum in Fossil, OR. The first time I saw a gasoline powered iron!

A big advantage of these small museums is they are often run by a local old timer that will have wonderful stories about the area. Much more interesting than the canned guides in the larger facilities.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few to Google, Scott's Bluff/Chimney Rock, NE, the end of the prairie and fork in the road on the way West, Pipe Spring, AZ near the Utah boarder. Be sure to watch the movie at the visitors center, Benn a ranger w/the park service works there and is in the movie. Another place to visit is Hubbell Trading Post in Ganado, AZ. At Scott's Bluff, some rangers are usually in costume and there is where we learned about the tea they carried in the wagon trains.

Fort Laramie in WY, in fact download the PDF at this site, Trading Posts and Forts

Two things are pivotal in settling the West, The Corps of Discovery and the Oregon trail. Starting just outside St. Louis and ending at the mouth of the mighty Columbia, the Corps trail was truly to key to the western movement. The Oregon trail led to the settling of the Pacific Northwest.

A lot of other places both north and south of the two trails like Hubbells can be found by reading about the movement. The vast area from Mesa Verde to Monument Valley to Pipe Spring to the slick rock areas of So. Utah are seeped in Indian Lore and the settling the west.

Read about "The Long Walk", "The Trail of Tears" and other atrocities perpetrated on our First Nations People and you'll have another ten or twenty Bucket Lists about the whole country.

There are a lot of people who live in the towns and cities where you'll travel that will sit and talk with you, so don't just look at the displays in the museums and visitors centers, look for that person who wants you to know about their homeland. Especially look to the First Nations People and the docents in museums and visitor centers.

I talked to one Navajo elder for 30 or 40 minutes before he started talking to me, but, when he did, it was very educational and became very emotional for both of us. Just seeing is only part of of the experience. The sales clerks in the store at the Monument Valley hotel are mostly Navajo and if it is not busy, boy oh boy do they have stories.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great museum about the settlers travels West.
https://archway.org/

The Buffalo Bill Museum of the West in Cody, WY is also excellent. You will need 2 days to visit all of the displays and not kill yourself. They know this so your pass is good for 2 days. You could then head into Yellowstone for a week but if you can plan this part of your visit AFTER Summer (after the kids are back in school) you will have a MUCH more enjoyable visit.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see, Yellowstone NP, MT/WY/ID Grand Teton NP, WY, Glacier NP, MT/Canada, Butte, MT Museum of Mining, Custer Battle Field, MT, Sleeping Buffalo Hot Springs, Saco, MT (just discovered this unique place), Zion NP, UT, Deadwood SD for some gaming, Las Vegas, NV for more gaming and unique entertainment. The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY. That's about four states and a few weeks travel. Good luck and travel safely.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Oh boy, this is going to be a wonderfully long post! The West? There are sooooo many places to visit, but one that immediately came to mind, is Virginia City, Montana! In addition, an out of the way place, that not too many know about is Custer and Bonanza just NE of Stanley, Idaho, off of Hwy 75.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie RVer :C here! There is no time table......i’m retired, so there are no hurries or worries. In about two and a half weeks I am pulling up anchor and getting underway. This year my 2018 Summer Travel Bucket List will be focused on the old American West. Just because the trip start in summer does not mean it must end when the summer ends........i’m retired 🙂 . If that mean I travel the “zillion” miles (as referred to in a reply) that’s okay too......i’m retired. Googling information like this doesn’t compare to the responses I can get from those who have actually live it.

My 2017 Summer Travel Bucket List focused on historical American Slavery Sites. I pulled up anchor and got underway mid-June and didn’t return until a couple of days before Thanksgiving.......i’m retired 🙂 . “Summer Travel Bucket List” is more a title than an accurate description. It’s helps with the organizing of my journals that include all sorts of things like pics, sourvieners, writings, and memories.

If there was one place......just one place that you have visited that has the old American
West focus which you are fond of what would it be?
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
As other have said, give us something to narrow things down, there are many options.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
If you get near Deming, new mexico, check out this museum. Text below copied from wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:
The Deming Armory (formerly known as the State Armory, now also known as the Deming Luna Mimbres Museum) is a historic armory in the United States, located at 301 South Silver Avenue in Deming, Luna County, New Mexico.

We thought we would spend about an hour in this museum. After 4 hours, we had to move on due to campground reservations. We then planned our return trip so that we could visit again to see the remainder of the exhibits.

The "Queen Mine Tour" in Bisbee, AZ is worth a stop also.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of ghost towns, graveyards, museums and Western things from San Bernardino to Lee Vining along U.S. Hwy. 395 including Death Valley. No DV from June to October however...too hot. Alabama Hills, Movie Road, Bodie, Bishop Mule Days, Laws etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad