cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Along I-84 in Southern Idaho

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
As part of our summer wanderings, we'll be coming north from SLC to I-84 across Idaho to Ontario, OR (then west to the coast on 20). We have several days to linger. Looking for suggestions of sightseeing, things to see and do, places to stay in Idaho along this portion of I-84.

We mostly do scenic drives, overlooks, interesting/oddball museums, factories, historical sites, dams, parks. My spouse is disabled, so little to no walking, but scootering if applicable. Sometimes I take a short walk/hike.

I know I can look up tourism in all those towns, but I'd like to know what people here have enjoyed along this route. Thanks!
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
17 REPLIES 17

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
CJ Strike - state park campground... good fishing in all the wet locations mentioned small mouth, trout, panfish,

If you're in Twin drive north to Stanley, ID. It's good camping but not sure of availability due to extremely high demand unless you can dry camp.

For those who don't know, this is on your way to Bruneau Dunes State Park.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
CJ Strike - state park campground... good fishing in all the wet locations mentioned small mouth, trout, panfish,

If you're in Twin drive north to Stanley, ID. It's good camping but not sure of availability due to extremely high demand unless you can dry camp.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Here's their web site, so you can call and ask if they have a waiting area.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
All these great ideas! We may have to stay two weeks in the area! It's pretty slow going whatever we do, plus we need some down days in between.

I love caves!! Probably spouse will have to stay at camp, unless Ice Caves has an air-conditioned building to sit in and wait.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
bobsallyh wrote:
The Perrine Bridge, over the Snake River, on US 93, just off I-84 at Twin Falls. It is scooter accessible from a shopping center parking lot. Shae can scoot to the overlook and hopefully there will be some jumpers. Just east of that is where Evil Knievl(sp) made his jump across the Snake River. The ramp is still visible. Balanced Rock is just out of Twin Falls. Also, Shoshone Falls in Twin is a great view.

Anybody in that area looking for points of interest should visit the Shoshone Ice Caves. Bring a jacket, or you can borrow one of their nasty loaners.

(DISCLAIMER: I haven't been there in years, so the nasty loaner jackets could be a thing of the past.)

Shoshone Ice Caves is great, but not wheelchair accessible.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
Near Craters of the Moon is the EBR-1 Museum, the world's first atomic power plant. Along with a walk through the building, check out the two "atomic aircraft engines" outside. Here is a link to some photos from my last visit.

One of the aircraft engines:

This is definitely worth it if you are interested in this type of thing.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Near Craters of the Moon is the EBR-1 Museum, the world's first atomic power plant. Along with a walk through the building, check out the two "atomic aircraft engines" outside. Here is a link to some photos from my last visit.

One of the aircraft engines:

dedmiston
bobsallyh wrote:
The Perrine Bridge, over the Snake River, on US 93, just off I-84 at Twin Falls. It is scooter accessible from a shopping center parking lot. Shae can scoot to the overlook and hopefully there will be some jumpers. Just east of that is where Evil Knievl(sp) made his jump across the Snake River. The ramp is still visible. Balanced Rock is just out of Twin Falls. Also, Shoshone Falls in Twin is a great view.

Anybody in that area looking for points of interest should visit the Shoshone Ice Caves. Bring a jacket, or you can borrow one of their nasty loaners.

(DISCLAIMER: I haven't been there in years, so the nasty loaner jackets could be a thing of the past.)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Wow! This is alot of great information. Thank you so much everyone!

Tom/Barb...Where could I drive to see an overlook of Hell's Canyon from this section of I-84?

There really isn't one. The way we get to Hells Canyon even to stay in one of the campgrounds there is to take 95 north from I84 to Cambridge, then 71 to Hells Canyon. Another way would be to take 95 to Riggins, then just south of Riggins is a turn off to Seven Devils and the view at the top is amazing. With a smaller motorhome the road is do-able. There is a campground at the top, Windy Ridge, aptly named and a tent or small camper CG, Seven Devils. We stayed there in our tent and Jeep.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! This is alot of great information. Thank you so much everyone!

Tom/Barb...Where could I drive to see an overlook of Hell's Canyon from this section of I-84?
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
1. Massacre Rocks State Park near American Falls is a nice place to spend the night. Hookups and scenic. Interior road is paved.
2. Three Island State Park and there is an Oregon Trail Museum there too.
3. Bruneau Sand Dunes State Park - exit at 78, at Glenns Ferry or take 51 out of Mountain Home. This is one of the largest natural sand dunes in the US and there is an observatory there. There are two campground loops with a small bass fishing lake.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
On the 30 road just west of Burley is Milner Recreation area, the coolest boondocking I've ever seen. Along the Snake.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Nice park in Hagarman ID. Good location for day trips.
View Twin Falls,
Hagerman Fossil Beds NM,
Craters of the Moon Lava Beds NM,
Hagerman National Fish Hatchery,
Thousand Springs State Park.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu