• The size of the Q tip cotton limits the treatment to a safe level
  • Does not scar or mark skin
  • This treatment works. Flat out. Once the itch is gone it does not return
  • Even 10% lidocaine in comparison seemed to work .000001% as well
  • No medication can compare to how well this works
  • And it's damned near free
36 REPLIES 36

Talleyho69
OK, we have been using the Therapik for a month now. It's absolutely amazing! Mosquito, no see ums, ants, anything. The only issue? Forgetting to use it!

I got nailed by a mosquito 3 times this morning in the bathroom, and they were the hot itchy kind. After washing them, putting on lotion, I did the DUH moment, and used the therapik. Gone.

I don't sell these, have no financial interest in the company, don't know where to get them here in Mexico (hopefully they are available) but we are believers!!!!

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Garlic oil is definitely effective on certain types of mosquitos. Not all, however it does decrease bites depending upon which type of mosquitos are in your vicinity. I have used it for many years with good results, far less bites, and it is heart healthy...

Lavender was mentioned and it too is good for certain types of mosquitos. It all depends on the type of mosquito in your area.

As Mex said, pennyroyal oil is very effective, topically, not ingested. Although I can't recommend it due to liability as people will inevitably use it incorrectly. Topically, it is great. Small bottle- easy to carry, a drop on finger tip is enough. Just don't ingest it. Don't lick your fingers after applying it. Wash you hands just to be sure... Common sense...

Mercury is highly toxic and one of the elements that can penetrate the skin. Keep it moving in your hands, no problem. Hold it still and you will have problems. Follow directions...

Skin is a fantastic protectant although many people don't quite understand it. A sunburn and soak in the tub? Bad idea as water is removed from the skin by soaking, dehydrating it. Just look at your wrinkled fingers and toes. If the skin absorbed water, we would look like Sponge Bob after bathing or swimming...
It is much better to drink the water and thus hydrate. Yet you still won't convince some people...

That reminds me of a lady that wouldn't allow her kids to get fluoride treatments from the dentist. She stated the reason was that it was used in concentration camps to kill prisoners. Her ignorance is now causing her now grown kids to have teeth problems. Many times I tried to explain to her that there is a big difference in treatment (swishing and expelling) versus ingesting. Some people are going to believe what they want to believe without seeking the facts.

When I do get bit by insects, I have found oregano oil to be quite effective. As with pennyroyal, just a drop on the end of your finger tip applied directly on the bite. A quick sting, and the bite will be forgotten. Do not ingest it. Don't put it in your spaghetti sauce... Topical use only... YMMV
Inquiring minds want to know...

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Wife uses Doterras lavander oil and no mosquito bytes, we also have lavander flowers planted in the gardens, no moaquitos they do not bite me at all, do not know why.

navegator

Talleyho69
Have you tried the wonderful, fun tennis racquet looking things that are rechargeable or battery operated? Not only are they entertaining, they sizzle the little dudes. I'd rather be awakened in the middle of the night to him cooking the little beasties than knowing I'm doused in nasty stuff that doesn't last that long, or isn't on the bottom of my feet or lickable.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are some rather powerful poisons derived from plants, you know...

I'll give this flower a try in hot season. Can't stand the smell of DEET.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Intelligence means exactly that...

Re-read my post.

ONE SINGLE DROP spread over the entire body.

Doesn't require a Hudson sprayer.

California is trying to do an amoeba. Sane counties want to divorce from the Che Guevara Hookah crowd. Good luck.

California banned Pennyroyal Oil because CALIFORNIANS were drinking it. California legalized yet another pulmonary path to ingest superheated destructive distillates of vegetation. Pretty fartsmellers them folks.

Reminds me of working with Diosopropoanylamine in the refinery in 1970. Today the drums sport skull and crossbones. DEET is better than Dengue. It feels like the optimum mix of having the flu plus a 9.0 richter scale beer and tequila hangover.

Sorry I'll stick with the oil of the flower.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

California the lowest intelligence region in the western hemisphere

I guess this explains the BN forum phenomenon 🙂

Pennyroyal is actually more toxic than DEET. We are supposed to dilute it more than DEET - for external use. One has to be an i.diot to swallow it.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yup,
And luckily Pennyroyal oil is something that has been proven for over a hundred years by millions of users.

Tritium! Watch dials that glow in the dark

Tritium Can cause vast craters that can be seen at night from the moon

It's all about (these days) UNcommon sense.

If N,N-Diethyl-meta-Toluamide,came from a flower, it might most closely resemble a TRIFFID.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Our society deems essential oils as safe. However, they possess a diverse amount of chemicals and should be used with caution because some of these chemicals are potential endocrine disruptors."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43429933
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I worry a lot more about groggy early morning mis-dosing with my medicines.

I learned one day that taking 200 milligrams of Metoprolol instead of paracetamol can lead to blood pressure of 83/51 and a pulse of 42. Unable to stand.

But the bitter mint taste should tattle-tale the frontal lobes.

Thanks for the Amazon tip. Things they are a changing. Talleyho there's your answer. Is there a reason a smear of the soles is difficult? Remember, our boats are just out of hailing distance to each other.

California the lowest intelligence region in the western hemisphere banned pennyroyal oil because the unwashed was swallowing it to induce abortions. Too complicated to add a bitterant. Legislators require an IQ of at least 60 to have figured that out.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Pennyroyal oil contains pulegone, which is highly toxic, particularly to the liver. Ingestion can lead initially to gastrointestinal distress such as nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Later on, it can lead to failure of the liver and kidneys, resulting in bleeding, seizures, multiple organ failure, and death. "
Source: Pennyroyal Oil

Small sprayer with 30% DEET sold under names Muscol and Ben's - I had to carry in another plastic jar, because it had eaten through nylon backpack when few drops leaded out. 30% stinks badly already. I don't even want to think what would happen if somebody ingested 100% DEET. Probably the end would be quick.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Aceite de Poleo can be had in Mexico, ordered on Amazon Mexico, Mercadolibre, and some local outlets. It may be a bit more expensive but it definitely can be had.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
You have great points. I remember when we were in Palenque and my brother broke out his bottle of 100% DEET. We watched it dissolve the skin off of his forehead.

We take garlic capsules, twice a day and it really helps. He tried going off of them last month, and got eaten. They work, at least to some degree.

I'm sure the pennyroyal oil works great. What we are looking for is what to do when in the middle of the night, you get one or three bites-you know, bottom of the foot, those kinds of places. We are hoping that the pen will help.

Plus, like many, we no longer have a way to get things from the US without calling in favors that we'd like to save for "important" things.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

This is not available in Mexico. It is an extract of a plant.

One single solitary drop rubbed into the hand then rubbed into every square inch of exposed flesh, even when wearing shorts and a tank top will stop everything I've ever encountered in Mexico.

The monster black mosquitoes of Patzcuaro
Man eating flesh chompers of San Blas
Blue, Green and Red flies, including horseflies
The nefarious Tabanos.
Ticks.

Everything. Better than a slopped on coat of 100% Repel, DEET.

But it lasts about 4-hours. 100% DEET lasts about 7 hours.

But Pennyroyal Oil needs one single solitary drop to apply to the whole body.

This stuff has an odor like mint

DEET gives an odor that would frighten a HAZMAT team.

Then you don't need pens. Or boiling water. Or worry about growing a third eye.

My family burst out laughing when I transcribed my sarcastic opinion of 7% DEET "Off" to espanol

I renamed it "On"