cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida to Arizona best route?

lazyboy
Explorer
Explorer
What is a good route from Florida to Arizona avoiding I 10 as much as possible? Towing 32 ft 5th wheel and not setting any speed record.
25 REPLIES 25

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, apparently I'm not allowed to post relevant content.

lazyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your suggestions.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've taken I-10 on that trip two years ago and will never again do that. We are currently in Gulfport, MS and had a great trip over I-10 from Orange City, FL. Roads to this point have been very good. No construction.

This morning we will be taking US-49 N to Jackson, MS and then I-20 West to meet up with I-10 near Van Horn, TX. I have not taken it yet but have heard the road is better than I-10 and I know I-10 has construction in LA and west TX.

Good luck on the choice and if I remember I'll post results in a few days.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps and under options click on avoid Highways.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was surprised how good I-10 and I-20 from Phoenix to Atlanta were a couple weeks ago. Very little construction and the new concrete roads are nice. Did Ft Worth/Dallas at midnight and 65 mph.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeGood988 wrote:
I just open my Atlas and see what is a good route....simple

That's my normal plan of action too.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JoeGood988
Explorer
Explorer
I just open my Atlas and see what is a good route....simple
2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go West........

Hwy 84 to TX then Hwy 67 to Hwy 87 then Hwy 180 then I-10 on into AZ

Hate traveling Interstates and we avoid them as much as possible.
FTd for 7 yrs traveling secondary/back roads and had more height issues in Campgrounds then hwy/roadways

Just pay attention and Look UP!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
If you are just trying to AVOID Highway I-10, try above I-20 then are you trying to avoid all Highways as that would be a bit crazy avoiding Highways to State Roadways Try Maps.Google.com for backroads and watch trailer height under bridges. Burn a lot more fuel this way.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which part of AZ? North or South? North you get on Hwy 287 near Dallas which runs you into north NM, you can take US 64 west from there which is a nice scenic route. Getting to the DFW area involves a lot of secondary TX, LA, MS and AL roads. In FL US98/19 will run you west. The TX ones generally aren't too bad but the others will lead you thru and endless set of small towns with 30 mph speed limits. Talking I-10 to US 45 near Mobile up to I-20 makes the most sense to me anyway. Once you are in TX on I-20 there are many secondary roads.

South AZ, I'd take 98/19 to Pensacola then I-10 to Antonio TX you can then head south to the TX/MX border area and via US 90 (quite scenic) then US 54 up to south NM (Carlsbad in this area) and follow local to Las Cruces when you pretty much have to get on I-10 since there are few local east-west routes because of the Mogallon Rim I assume. Then maybe US 70 from Lordsburg NM. AZ has lots of routes from there.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Starting out where in Florida ?

US 27/19 are good ways to go north from the west coast or central.

Then just guessing from looking at a map, US 90 might be good for going west after that......part way.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"