Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MGVWR and problems titling trailer

Oreonut
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

We just took our trailer through local Delaware inspection and the trailer weight is 10,851 lbs. The MGVWR is 9905 and they are refusing to title it because the weights don't match. The trailer was purchased in PA.

Brand new just purchased and we did not stick 2200 lbs worth of stuff in it. A few TV's and some beach chairs and regular trailer stuff but certainly not much of anything. Tanks are empty. Their scale could be off but they wouldn't even consider that.

Anyone ever face this problem?? We have no idea what to do. The current tags expired from PA while the trailer was in getting some service done.

Thanks,
Kelly
Kelly

2023 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
2023 Forest River - Wildwood 31KQBTS
Blue Ox

Old Set up:

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
2007 Sunset Creek 298 BH
Hensley arrow/Prodigy
36 REPLIES 36

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Curious what the yellow sticker says for dry weight and what it CCC is?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cwilson333 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
and have to worry about traveling to other states and provinces where they actually enforce GVW

I don't know anything about provinces, but please name a few states where one would have to worry about that BS.

You would have to tell me. I have seen a couple posts where people say they can increase their GVWR in the US by paying more money, but I have seen a couple who said they can't. not going to go back and search the last 8 years to find them right now haha. as for up here I think all of the provinces go by GVWR, but the enforcement of it is different. In BC the chances of getting stopped is slim, unless you look grossly overloaded but if you do and are over the GVWR you can get a fine and have your unit towed somewhere, throw stuff out to get under your GVWR or call a friend who can legally tow your unit. I am under my GVWR so I don't worry about it
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cwilson333
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
and have to worry about traveling to other states and provinces where they actually enforce GVW

I don't know anything about provinces, but please name a few states where one would have to worry about that BS.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oreonut wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
This is a case of obviously not thinking about your needs and buying a rv with enough payload to stay legal with the stuff you want to take.

Wow ... make assumptions much?

Not really, no assumptions made. The OP stated he added options and installed several extras and with no clothing or food was within 150lbs of the GVW. I would say even food for 2 people will be more than the 150lbs if you count canned goods and such depending on the length of time you're packing for then you have clothing. Mind you the dealership would have known how much the options would add to the weight and should have said something, so maybe the blame should go to the dealership if they specified those add-ons at the time of purchase.

when you think about it what good is a rv you can't pack anything in and have to worry about traveling to other states and provinces where they actually enforce GVW
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Just an suggestion, since your right at the max load for the trailer to keep a close eye on your tire pressure, should be running the max cold tire pressure. Those tires will be working hard all the time.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Oreonut
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
This is a case of obviously not thinking about your needs and buying a rv with enough payload to stay legal with the stuff you want to take.

Wow ... make assumptions much?
Kelly

Blue Ox

Old Set up:

2007 Sunset Creek 298 BH
Hensley arrow/Prodigy

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
While the weight cops stuff is a little embellished, fact is, you are only about 1200lbs away from maxing out the axles (almost certainly has 5k axles). Go camping, have fun, realize that your trailer will be close to max weight and travel trailers like this arenโ€™t really over built for the ratings.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cwilson333 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Oreonut wrote:
UPDATE!!

Great news for us! The DMV scales were incorrect.

Went to CAT scale and the total truck and trailer weighed 17100.
Steer Axle 3920
Drive Axle 4480
Trailer Axle 8700

Truck weighed 7320 alone

Trailer weighs 9780 so we are under the 9905 max weight. Nothing left to put in it but clothing & food so we should be good once actually loaded.

Heading to DMV on Tuesday so hopefully our CAT certificates will be accepted. Not taking the trailer again so the which scale is correct debate can't begin.

Thanks for all the advice

I sure hope your trailer was loaded ready to camp, as you only have 125# of payload left.

Right, don't go over that number, not so much as a loaf of bread, ya might get jacked up by the weight police, lol.

Glad you seem to have it worked out.

it's not even that, if you're putting three tv's and all that extra stuff in the rv do you think it's just going to be a weekend set of cloths (that would eat up the rest alone) but how much food. I could easily see them being 500lbs or more overloaded as they drive down the road. This is a case of obviously not thinking about your needs and buying a rv with enough payload to stay legal with the stuff you want to take.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cwilson333
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Oreonut wrote:
UPDATE!!

Steer Axle 3920
Drive Axle 4480
Trailer Axle 8700

Truck weighed 7320 alone

Trailer weighs 9780 so we are under the 9905 max weight. Nothing left to put in it but clothing & food so we should be good once actually loaded.

Heading to DMV on Tuesday so hopefully our CAT certificates will be accepted. Not taking the trailer again so the which scale is correct debate can't begin.

I sure hope your trailer was loaded ready to camp, as you only have 125# of payload left.

Right, don't go over that number, not so much as a loaf of bread, ya might get jacked up by the weight police, lol.

Glad you seem to have it worked out.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oreonut wrote:
UPDATE!!

Steer Axle 3920
Drive Axle 4480
Trailer Axle 8700

Truck weighed 7320 alone

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Oreonut
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE!!

Steer Axle 3920
Drive Axle 4480
Trailer Axle 8700

Truck weighed 7320 alone

Kelly

Blue Ox

Old Set up:

2007 Sunset Creek 298 BH
Hensley arrow/Prodigy

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
ForestRiver specs say dry weight is typical of a base trailer, and options add weight. 2022 brochure has a "best in class" list of add-ons, however, it is not clear if this is standard or optional. If optional, you could be looking at 500# right there. Many manufactures have option packages that include the basics to camp. They do this to keep base dry brochure weight down; marketing.

The stuff added since it was manufactured could add up quite quickly:

2-30 pound propane cylinders - 90#
Battery - 60#
Air conditioner - 100#
Is water heater full from PDI - 50#
Case of water - 30#
Camp chairs - 20#
Hoses, chocks, blocks and other neccessaries - 80#
Bedding - could be heavy
3 televisions - 120#
Fiberglass siding - 400#

Could be you have a heavy trailer. I would pull everything out including propane, battery, gear, & TVs. Leave the air conditioner, drain the water heater, and take it to a different state facility in a different town. I would believe most state agencies are pretty anal about keeping their equipment certified. Your choice what to do after it is registered. Good luck.

Cwilson333
Explorer
Explorer
Oreonut wrote:
Cwilson333 wrote:
Let me get this straight? A brand new never titled travel trailer? The state you wish to register it in does not matter. This is the dealer and manufacturers problem to deal with IMO. I've never heard of a requirement to have a brand new, first time sold, commecially made trailer weighed to title it. I find it hard to believe that everyone in DE has to go to some state operated weigh station in order to title a new trailer. The COO has the weight and VIN as certified by the manufacturer which is registered federally by law when the label is printed and applied to the trailer, and should be a accepted at face value. There has to be more to the story. R title?

Nope nothing more to the story. Brand new travel trailer purchased in PA with PA temp tags from a well known dealer. We live just over the line in DE and you have to take your trailer through inspection and get it passed (it did pass) then you can go in and register it, pay the taxes and get the title. They are refusing to title because of the weight. If we lived in PA, none of this would have been an issue.

If the CAT scale on Saturday morning states the DMV scale was correct it will definately be a dealer and manufacturer problem. Although they already told us we had to call the dealer but we haven't actually made much stink about it yet.

I don't actually think we have 900lbs of stuff in there that can be removed to get below the limit to pass even if we remove the propane tanks.

Aren't these items included in the dry weight? One aircon, batteries. Propane, awning, stabilizers? We did have the dealer put in the extra air conditioner and they of course didn't mention anything about the added weight and we didn't even consider it. The same trailer from other dealers had the 2nd air in them already.

FWIW good or bad, quite a few manufacturers have had a rash i
Of recalls during the last 2-3 years for stating the weights incorrect where they had to provide new yellow stickers and update the reported info.

I've personally never had to ever have a trailer weighed for a state required safety inspection, registration, or anything else. It just seems wrong. There are numerous legalities involved when a manufacturer records a VIN number and GVW for a trailer that all fall back to them. What you have loaded in the trailer should not matter one bit for anything. So you're saying that anyone who lives in DE and buys a new trailer from PA, MD, VA, or anywhere else has to have it "officially" weighed? WTF? Stolfus is, or maybe was, a fairly decent dealer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What axles are under that overloaded trailer?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold