cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to keep a TC from being stolen when not on the truck?

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
How do you keep someone from backing their truck under your TC and hauling it off when it's on the jacks and you're not around?
35 REPLIES 35

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:

I guess you didn't read far enough.

torklift wrote:
When it comes to camper theft, the position of the FastGun Wobble Stopper prevents another vehicle from backing up and loading your camper. Keyed alike locks are provided to prevent a camper from being stolen.

With complaint of camper movement and worry of camper theft, Robert and Amy Taft installed the FastGun Wobble Stoppers on their camper.

Whoops, you're right. This is a good idea, thanks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What mkirsch said is spot on.
While thereโ€™s probably a few TCs stolen somewhere every year I would go on a limb and say itโ€™s less than 1% of trailers that are stolen.
And wobble stoppers are like the wdh of the truck camper worldโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Jedidad wrote:
mellow wrote:
https://www.torklift.com/blog/entry/how-to-protect-a-camper-from-theft

The body of that article has nothing to do with the title. :h

I guess you didn't read far enough.

torklift wrote:
When it comes to camper theft, the position of the FastGun Wobble Stopper prevents another vehicle from backing up and loading your camper. Keyed alike locks are provided to prevent a camper from being stolen.

With complaint of camper movement and worry of camper theft, Robert and Amy Taft installed the FastGun Wobble Stoppers on their camper.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jedidad wrote:
If I invest 10s of thousands in a TC I sure want to prevent someone from stealing it.

Judging by the comments here it appears there isn't an "industry solution" other than lowering it or perhaps chaining it to a tree.

What people are TRYING to tell you is that there is nothing effective you can do to prevent the theft of your TC above and beyond what is there by design.

You are never going to prevent someone from stealing it if they are determined and organized. "Chaining it to a tree" is a minor inconvenience. Wheel locks are a minor inconvenience. Coupler locks are a minor inconvenience.

One major advantage to a TC is that it requires the right kind of vehicle and an organized effort to steal it. With a travel trailer one guy can be hitched up and gone in under a minute if you don't care about WD hitch, safety chains, lights.

That's not going to happen with a TC. You're looking at 15 minutes to load with an EXPERIENCED driver that can back under the camper on the first try. You'll need four experienced people with cordless drills and the right kind of adapters to run the jacks up. No experienced thief capable of organizing that kind of job is going to risk being exposed for that long.

Some tweaker with an F150 will not be able to get the truck under the camper. IF they manage to get backed under and get the camper lowered on to their truck, they probably won't be able to move it. If they can move it they won't get very far very fast, and they will be VERY obvious.

We're talking about an epic heist here, like you'd see in a movie. Nobody is planning to "Ocean's Eleven" little old you, UNLESS you've made some serious enemies. If so I'd be more worried about the stuff in my house, and my family, than the TC. To get revenge against you they will go after much easier targets.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mellow wrote:

Lol
And for those that want or need a wobble stopper, a 4 pack of Harbor freight 1โ€ ratchet straps works like a champ and far less obtrusive, under $20 and useful for other things.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
While the T/L wobble stoppers (link) primary function is to stabilize the camper off loaded, in use and locked no one could casually drive under it. Bit of an advertising stretch IMO or 'added feature' alluding to anti theft.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:

The body of that article has nothing to do with the title. :h

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
ronharmless wrote:
Whatโ€™s to stop someone from stealing a fifth wheel, travel trailer, Motorhome, etc.? IMHO it seems to be pretty much a nonissue. Stick dog appears to have the best answer.

Well, there are ways to secure all of those you listed (king pin locks, wheel locks, etc) but I've never seen a way to secure a TC and that's why I asked.

If I invest 10s of thousands in a TC I sure want to prevent someone from stealing it.

Judging by the comments here it appears there isn't an "industry solution" other than lowering it or perhaps chaining it to a tree.

Thanks anyway.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bottom line anyone worried about TC theft is literally looking for something inane to worry abootโ€ฆ.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We've been camping in a TC all over the country since 2002. Never had anything stolen, nor had my TC stolen and it's often off the truck and lowered until we load it to leave. We don't worry about it.

One good thing about TC's tho', no one can steal your tires. ๐Ÿ™‚
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
stickdog wrote:
Something my daddy taught me years ago. If you can't afford to replace it, insure it.

My daddy taught me if you can't afford to replace it, don't buy it.

For me, though, the best way to prevent theft of a TC is to unload it from the truck. Jacks up, jacks down, however you want. Off the truck it's too much of a hassle for the casual thief. They'll break in and take anything valuable, cut the cables and take your Honda generator(s).

The only "realistic" (albeit highly unlikely) situations where someone would "steal" a whole camper are:

1. You just happen to be at a campground with another identical camper, and they mistakenly load up the wrong camper.
2. Someone is playing a prank on you.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
*sigh*

two (or four) portable drills with attachments can lift/lower any camper if the jackstands are still attached in a few minutes...

Then again, in the Spring/Fall it is not unheard of hearing chainsaw's during the day - forget the door/window alarms - simply saw your way inside!!!

Personally I don't worry about it.

- Mark0.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Although rv thefts are rare, it does happen.

Since prevention is usually cheaper & easier than fixing a bad outcome, I changed the code on our first camper's remote (similar to customizing a garage door opener). With our current camper, I've been too lazy to do the same. Maybe it's old age creeping up on me.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S