cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eternabond over Dicor on PVC roof

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
The more I research this the more confused I get. It doesn't help that I overthink just about everything.

Trying to find out the best cleaning agent for the PVC roof. Alcohol apparently has no affect. Acetone reacts badly with PVC. I think Mineral Spirits might leave an oily residue. Apparently I'm going to use Dawn and water.

Does anyone have experience with this? Mainly I want to use Eternabond at the seam where the PVC comes off the roof and goes under an aluminum molding. I don't want to climb up on the roof every few years. I might use the tape around skylights, vents etc... Yes. I'll clean off as much of the DiCor as possible. Dicor and I don't work well together. Best intentions but it turns out messy.

Thanks in advance.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500
6 REPLIES 6

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
How about TSP? They don't mention it. I haven't used it in a while. But, I've cleaned some pretty nasty stuff with it and it worked very well.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
Their instructions Eternabond Instruction sheet do not recommend Acetone and state that Alcohol is ineffective. Again, no cleaning instructions for a PVC roof. And, they don't recommend their cleaner for PVC.

Any ideas?
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Eterna Bond makes a cleaner for use with their tape. Just Google it. Good luck on your project.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, the Eternabond instructions don't address PVC roofing except, that Alcohol has no effect. And apparently Acetone has undesirable effects.
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I've had success with a hair dryer. Try that before a heat gun IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go to Harbor Freight and purchase their $12.99 heat gun and carefully remove all the caulking where you wish to apply the Eternabond tape.

Next I would clean the roof where I want to apply the Eternabond tape very carefully following the directions given by Eternabond.

Only then would I apply the tape. I would not apply the tape right over the caulk as this will not allow the edges to attach properly and you could have leaks over time.

Good luck with your project. I did the whole roof penetrations and edges on my trailer and it was still attached firmly 17 years later when I had the whole roof redone and posted about it here.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine