Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel & Half-ton TV Thoughts

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I have a friend who has a F150 who is currently towing a 30ft bumper pull trailer who is looking to move up to a 5th wheel. I am concerned that while the dealership says he'll be fine that he'll have clearance issues with his small 5'5" bed (his F150 is a crew cab). He has already upgraded his tires and suspension so handling the pin weight (he's looking at the lighter halfton 5th wheels with pin weights around 1400lbs). If anyone has any thoughts or experience when it comes to clearance issues and hitches it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC
35 REPLIES 35

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
Prior to pandemic pricing. The difference in pricing between chasis styles was negligible. My dually was not much more than a 2500. The difference was even less between dually and 3500 SRW.
Price was not the reason to buy the wrong truck it was a simple matter of knowledge and not knowing any better thsat led to people buying the wrong truck.
Unfortunately now that trucks and vehicles are in short supply.
Supply and demand has taken over and they are all overpriced.

When ordering my truck the DRW option was $1,200. Dirt cheap.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
usmcshepherd wrote:
Thanks for everyone’s response…between my recommendations and what he found here he decided to go with a TT for now…but is already looking at a 3/4 ton upgrade to his truck for pulling the new TT as well as preparing for the 5er down there road.

Remind him that all 3/4 ton trucks aren't the same. And gas or diesel ...new or used trucks.

A 2500 GM model with the 11550 gvwr and 6600 rawr gets him around 3400-3500 lb in the bed payload for carrying a 5th wheel hitch and the trailers hitch weight.

Fords F250 10800 gvwr...and 6340 rawr with the camper package or heavy service pack give has the same suspension as the std duty F350 srw. These truck can easily handle 3200 -3300 lb payload

Ram 2500 come with a 10000 gvwr and depending on year models can have a 6000-6200-6500 rawr. The 6500 rawr came in the mid teens will give the best payload.

If he is looking at 13k-14k lb 5th wheel trailer then a one ton srw would be a better choice.
Which brings up another issues as some one ton srw trucks have the same gvwr/rawr packages as the higher rated 3/4 ton trucks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
usmcshepherd wrote:
Thanks for everyone’s response…between my recommendations and what he found here he decided to go with a TT for now…but is already looking at a 3/4 ton upgrade to his truck for pulling the new TT as well as preparing for the 5er down there road.

Might tell your friend that skip the 3/4 ton and get a one ton SRW, especially if he is still thinking about 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Prior to pandemic pricing. The difference in pricing between chasis styles was negligible. My dually was not much more than a 2500. The difference was even less between dually and 3500 SRW.
Price was not the reason to buy the wrong truck it was a simple matter of knowledge and not knowing any better thsat led to people buying the wrong truck.
Unfortunately now that trucks and vehicles are in short supply.
Supply and demand has taken over and they are all overpriced.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Yeah - but you can’t get the 3.5 ecoboost and the 10 speed transmission with the F250; which is exactly what you want for a “sometimes” towing a small fifth wheel and “mostly” a daily driver.
And I can tell you first hand, when I bought my F150 the price difference for an F250 was not negligible, it was appreciable. Just my experience, yours may vary.

That depends on if $8,000 or @ 21% more coin falls within your definition of negligible. F-150 starts out at $31K and change, F-250 starts at $39K and change. That's for a basic truck with plastic seats.

GIB2
Explorer
Explorer
Some things are best left unanswered. It's what he has to do.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah - but you can’t get the 3.5 ecoboost and the 10 speed transmission with the F250; which is exactly what you want for a “sometimes” towing a small fifth wheel and “mostly” a daily driver.
And I can tell you first hand, when I bought my F150 the price difference for an F250 was not negligible, it was appreciable. Just my experience, yours may vary.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
TXiceman wrote:
Thermoguy, the average half ton truck you find on the dealer's lot is not suitable to tow a 5th wheel. What the dealers order are generally good as mulch and grocery haulers. You can order a half ton truck that will be much better suited to tow a small 5th wheel.

Even with a special ordered half ton, you are severely limited with the payload capacity and never order one with the short bed.

Ken

Yeah, but if you are special ordering anyway, just go up to a 3/4 or 1 ton. The cost difference will be negligible and you have a much more suitable truck.

Only reason I can see for trying to do this is you have a 1/2 ton and grandpa dies and leaves you his old 24ft 5er...then I might investigate if the numbers can be made to work.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

GIB2
Explorer
Explorer
No thought wouldn't consider. It is a recipe to loose your truck , trailer and lives including others on the road.

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
usmcshepherd wrote:
Hello all,

I have a friend who has a F150 who is currently towing a 30ft bumper pull trailer who is looking to move up to a 5th wheel. I am concerned that while the dealership says he'll be fine that he'll have clearance issues with his small 5'5" bed (his F150 is a crew cab). He has already upgraded his tires and suspension so handling the pin weight (he's looking at the lighter halfton 5th wheels with pin weights around 1400lbs). If anyone has any thoughts or experience when it comes to clearance issues and hitches it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LOL...anytime a 1/2 ton truck is mentioned for pulling a "light weight" 5th wheel trailer with 1400 lb pin weight the no it can do it crowd shows up with the infamous "no 1/2 ton can tow a 5th wheel trailer nonsense"

Has your question about your clearance concerns for a buddies F150 5' 5" short bed been addressed ??

There are hitch solution=s out here just for that combo.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some just don't get they may need more than a 150/1500.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy, the average half ton truck you find on the dealer's lot is not suitable to tow a 5th wheel. What the dealers order are generally good as mulch and grocery haulers. You can order a half ton truck that will be much better suited to tow a small 5th wheel.

Even with a special ordered half ton, you are severely limited with the payload capacity and never order one with the short bed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone that says a 1/2 ton can not pull a 5th wheel is incorrect. People are doing it as has been stated on this site many times.

The only issue is that the 5th wheel must be within the payload limitations of the truck. That is the issue. They make 5th wheel hitches for 1/2 ton trucks, I looked them up. I was and still am considering a 1/2 ton truck down the road - for a trailer with a 1200 lb pin weight fully loaded. I have looked at various 1/2 ton trucks a couple years back, some were OK for that payload, some were not. If its within the payload - not at the max, then it would be OK. They do make small 5th wheel trailers.

We can discuss things like the short wheel base on the 5.5 bed, that would be an issue I would stay away from. We can discuss the thin materials that make a 5th wheel light enough to be 1/2 ton towable, that I would agree with. But if it's within the ratings, its not the end of the world. It does limit the owner to not being able to upgrade, probably has small tanks, etc. But, it can be done.