cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Latest safety recall information

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend of mine was thinking about buying a Chevy Bolt. This from USA Today and MSN news and PSA item that maybe new news to some. Although fun don't shoot the messenger.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/its-unnerving-chevy-bolt-owners-want-buybacks-after-141000-vehicles-recalled-for-fire-risk/ar-AAOkOMc?ocid=BingNews

Nathan Gardner loved his 2019 Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicle when he bought it three years ago, but now it sits outside his home "like a firebomb," he said.

a man standing in a parking lot next to a car: Durham Smith and Cyndie Smith stand with their new 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV on August 5, 2021 at the dealership after buying it. But 15 days later, GM recalled all model year Bolts including their new one. They want GM to buy it back.ยฉ So do Bolt owners Wendy Fong, Stan Goldberg and Durham Smith. They find it unsettling to own a vehicle even GM has warned could catch on fire.

โ€œItโ€™s unnerving at the very least," said Smith of Lake Wylie, South Carolina. He owns a 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV. "How can we possibly put a car in our garage that might catch on fire? I donโ€™t feel secure parking a car outside given our tree coverage.โ€

Last month, GM expanded its second recall on Bolts to include all model years through 2022 โ€“ that means Smith's Bolt too, which he'd bought just 15 days earlier. The recall, which affects about 141,000 vehicles globally, is due to battery defects that could start a fire. There have been a dozen Bolts that have caught fire while parked, although GM has not confirmed that each of those fires was caused by defective batteries.

GM has apologized to its Bolt owners for the inconvenience, saying it and its battery maker, LG Chem, have "hundreds of people" working around the clock to find the cause of the problem and correct it to ensure defect-free products will be made going forward.

As of Friday, GM spokesman Kevin Kelly said the automaker is "still working with LG on manufacturing process updates."

GM has said that when it is confident that LG Chem can produce defect-free battery modules, GM will notify Bolt owners in writing and repairs will begin. Once a repair is made, GM will provide an eight-year/100,000 mile warranty on it. In the meantime, GM has assured Bolt owners that if they follow three steps, the cars should be safe:

Keep the car charged to only 90%.
Avoid depleting the battery below a range of at least 70 miles.
Do not park the car in a garage or charge it overnight.

โ€œHow is that realistic? If itโ€™s your only vehicle how are people getting by?" said Nathan Gardner, the Bolt owner who lives in Sonora, California. "There are people like myself in fire-prone areas putting their families and homes at risk because thereโ€™s nowhere to charge and you canโ€™t stay up all night to watch it charge. I am not sure why these cars are even on the road?โ€
10 REPLIES 10

dedmiston
CavemanCharlie wrote:
What does this have to do with RV's ??

You beat me to it.

Moving from General RVing to someplace else...

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Caveman maybe some bolts are used as toads also or trailered behind Class As but then your name

A BEV dinghy that could be set to regen from wheels mode on downgrades while being towed to top up it's batteries and help grade brake would be kinda handy.

aka "dynamic braking" on yer train locomotive

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Caveman maybe some bolts are used as toads also or trailered behind Class As but then your name

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
Thanks Gde -

I've been around DC battery banks in heavy trucks, sometimes large equipment - the amps want to escape to the ground and are happy to weld or light stuff on fire while doing so...

Not saying malfunctioning or ruptured pressurized fuel injection systems are not also a fire hazard

Yeah, lots of potential hazards with anything that has some sort of "energy" storage whether that is liquid fuels, springs or batteries. Some hazards like high density batteries can pose some rather hidden faults that many people assume it can never happen.

One product I worked on loading software on used lithium Ion batteries and after a few of those devices melted in peoples hands the my company pulled them after discovering the third party vendor of the units was having quality issues with the batteries.. Fortunately only minor burns, could have been much worse and that was from a one 3.7V 2Ahr Lithium Ion cell.. I have much more respect for how much energy those batteries can store in that small space.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I am sure there are some RV "owners" that have Chevy Bolts, right?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Gde -

I've been around DC battery banks in heavy trucks, sometimes large equipment - the amps want to escape to the ground and are happy to weld or light stuff on fire while doing so...

Not saying malfunctioning or ruptured pressurized fuel injection systems are not also a fire hazard

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
Is it the batteries that catch fire?

Or the 'lectricity gettin out of the wires?

Or the both of them?

Batteries.

See NHTSA website HERE for full recall notice.

"GM is expanding the current Chevrolet Bolt recall to include model year 2017-2022 Chevrolet Bolt vehicles. With this expansion, all Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicles are now recalled due to the risk of the high-voltage battery pack catching fire. "

From the earlier recall that was issued found HERE..

"Owners of select Model Year 2017-2019 Chevrolet Bolt vehicles should park their cars outside and away from homes until their vehicles have been repaired, due to a new recall for the risk of fire.

GM has issued a recall of 50,932 Chevrolet Bolt vehicles for the potential of an unattended fire in the high-voltage battery pack underneath the back seatโ€™s bottom cushion. The affected vehiclesโ€™ cell packs have the potential to smoke and ignite internally, which could spread to the rest of the vehicle and cause a structure fire if parked inside a garage or near a house.

Chevrolet bolt parked in open lot
These vehicles can catch fire even if they are turned off, parked, and disconnected from a charging unit. NHTSA has confirmed five known fires with two injuries; at least one of the fires spread from the vehicle and ignited a home. Until these recalled vehicles have been repaired, the safest place to park them is outside and away from homes. "

You want to play with high density lithium packs, you should be aware that they are not "docile" by any means.. Only a few yrs ago many Lithium packs used in pretty much every laptop were recalled for fire hazard due to impurities present at the cells manufacturing level that would cause a internal short in one or more cells.

With the push to build cheaper EV vehicles you may as well get used to this type of thing..

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it the batteries that catch fire?

Or the 'lectricity gettin out of the wires?

Or the both of them?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
And yet, RV folks want to build their own cheap Lithium battery packs or buy the cheapest prebuilt packs from unknown and untraceable sources..

Then mount them inside a highly combustion-able tinderbox RV..

Auto makers with extreme deep pockets can't get it right, not sure someone on a shoe string budget can pull it off safely..