cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter question

AJO
Explorer
Explorer
I was moving furniture in & scraped against the breaker box, now I have no shoreline power. After checking breakers, power cord , adapter plug ,ect. I opened cover to breaker box / converter cover n found what appears to be on the converter , 2 ( transformers / relays ) round in diameter, about an inch tall on left side of converter. The one to the right side was split open on the top & had copper wire sticking out. I dont know name of part. I have been living in rv for 2 years plus & am plug into a 110 outlet with an adapter. Ive had no problems with power as I limit my use inside rv to keep from tripping breaker at the main house supply. I heard no arcs or anything . I also have no battery hooked up to be charging as I only run the shoreline power. I am having trouble uploading pictures too. Can anyone offer any helping suggestions please. AJ. 
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
AJO wrote:
I'm confused as I org. Thought it was called a converter. I have a pic on my phone bit cant seem to upload it.
You can't upload a picture.

You must have the picture reside with a commercial service and post a link to the hosted site.

My link above does work. Although I have not used the link with a phone so maybe it is awkward.

dedmiston
AJO wrote:
I'm confused as I org. Thought it was called a converter. I have a pic on my phone bit cant seem to upload it.

Hi Ajo. Nice username. Now I need some pasta and oil.

Inverters and converters can be confusing. They're related, but they each do the opposite thing. (Note that I'm going to oversimplify things here for the sake of explanation.)

Think of them as switches. They both switch the power between AC & DC, except one goes one way and the other goes the other way.

AC & DC are confusing and it's hard to remember which is which, so think of 12 volt power from your batteries versus the 110 wall plug outlets that you're used to in your home.

(If you care, your home is AC and your RV batteries are DC.)

So a converter is also known as a "converter charger" (usually). The converter switches the 110 shore power to 12 volt power to charge your batteries. (AC to DC)

An inverter switches the power the other direction, except it doesn't send it back to the shore power. The inverter switches the 12v power from your batteries into a 110 current that your household devices can use via the wall outlets. (DC to AC)

As a rule of thumb, every RV comes standard with a converter so you can charge your batteries. People who want to use their 12 volt batteries to run 110 household devices from the wall outlets will install an inverter to create this 110 power.

As you look through your coach, you can identify which items use which power. Your lights, water pump, fridge (probably), cigarette outlets (if you have them), etc. all use 12 volt DC power.

Any wall outlets and possibly a residential fridge if you have one use 110 AC power.

The big test to know whether you have an inverter or not is to unplug your shore power. Anything that runs off your batteries is using 12 volt DC power. If your coffee maker, TV, and electric toothbrush don't run, then you probably don't have an inverter.

It's a lot to absorb and it's easy to get it wrong. I'm sure someone can find fault with something I got wrong here, which kinda proves the point. For your purposes though, you need to know that the converter is what charges your batteries and the inverter is what runs your goodies. The converter ONLY charges your batteries, so if the converter is zonked but your batteries are charged, then your 12v DC stuff will still run, but not for long (because your batteries will eventually run down).

I hope this helps.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

AJO
Explorer
Explorer

AJO
Explorer
Explorer
I check rv breakers & shoreline/ main house breaker, none were tripped. I have run this for 2 years with no problems. Still checking on other possible reasons. Thank you, thank you all for info. I still checking things. Will keep u posted.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
AJO wrote:
Correction : Inverter

The breaker box contains a Converter not an Inverter. looks like your going to buy a new converter.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the shore power breaker? Did you check the RV main breaker?
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MrWizard
You do Not have an inverter
Inverter take battery power and make 110v
You have a converter aka battery charger aka power supply,
No battery means if utility power goes out
You have no lights, no heat, no fridge
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II