cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid 19 warning

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, I just received news a good friend of mine passed away this morning from Covid 19. He got while RVing and they were being careful. His wife also go it, probably from him, but just got very ill. He was on a ventilator in hospital for 2 weeks. He was healthy and active. This is a wake up call for me. A winter at home beats eternity 6 ft under. This disease is not one to be blase about, it is not a hoax, it is not less dangerous than flu. Think long and hard before you decide to play Russian Roulette by heading for the sun this winter before there is a vaccine.
111 REPLIES 111

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Sorry, it was 36%. US Military Study

Source

Wrong. And it's third-hand.
Here's the fallacy of it - back track to the source.

Your quote is from: DISABLEDVETERANS.ORG and they quote from SCIENCEDIRECT.COM which purports to quote from a 2018 DOD study.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
wiskeyVI wrote:
Has anyone seen how the Covid death rates compare to death rates of the "regular" flu this season?

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-us-death-rate-for-covid-19-is-50-times-higher-than-the-flu

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
Diver4242. As a former resident of Pittsburgh I am sorry to hear of your loss and the situation there.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
too early to see flu stats, with a lot of people wearing masks it may help lower it

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wiskeyVI wrote:
Has anyone seen how the Covid death rates compare to death rates of the "regular" flu this season?

It may be regional but at least here (BC) the regular flu is way down because of social distancing and masks etc. Then again, even Covid here is just 48 new cases and no new deaths. Hard to compare region to region. We are on day 6 of no deaths. We are seeing a bump in cases though.

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Diver4242 wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
The US Population is 330,000,000 and in 5 months the number of deaths was 130,000. The number of deaths from COVID as a percent of the population is 0.03939 %. Compared to the number of cancer cases diagnosed in 2019 (1,762.450...) and 607,000 deaths that percentage of death is 0.184%.

A very well orchestrated plan, or an unimaginable set of events that just fell into place ... with the United States front and center ?

Scare people with a virus, force them to wear masks and place them in quarantine. Count the number of dead every second of every day, in every News Headline. By the way, ninety-nine and eight-tenths of the people who get the virus, recover.

About one to two tenths of one percent who get the virus, die.
Most all of them have other medical problems.
Did you catch that ? Less than 1/2 of a percent die.
Closed businesses = 35,000,000+ instantly unemployed.
Remove entertainment and prohibit Recreation; Closing parks, gyms, bars, restaurants, sports. No dating. No touching. Isolate people. Dehumanize them.
Close Temples and Churches, prohibit worship. Create a vacuum and let depression, anxiety, hopelessness and desperation set in.

So...you're going with "this is a conspiracy theory and blown way out of proportion"?

Are my two dead neighbors (mother and daughter), my dead 31-year old co-worker (who was a health nut, runner), and thousand Americans dying every day part of that "hysteria"?

My wife is an RN. You may not be seeing this in your part of the woods (yet), but come on down to areas where this is very real, and spend some time in a hospital cafeteria and talk to the nurses and doctors.

It seems you think we're all being misled but have you considered the propaganda you're being fed, as posted, might indicate that you perhaps are the one being misled?

I think others have pointed out how incorrect and misleading your numbers are. Far, far more people have this than are "official" and part of the counts.

160,000 dead American moms, dads, grandmas, papas, aunts, uncles, and yes, even kids in just a *few months*. Think about that. It's hype? How about 750,000 dead around the world - they're all part of some grand conspiracy?

It amazes me that folks will buy into that, while in plain view the very foundations of our Constitution and country are being dismantled each and every day. We "might" have an election, our public education and postal service is being destroyed from within by those who want to build for-profit alternatives, and we take no action while an adversary puts out hit jobs on our brave service members - what patriot ever believed we'd hear those things?

I got the same impression from Edd505. Don't be too hard on him, when you look at straight statistics it does not seem too bad. The mistake most people make is to compare annual stats with the few months this disease has been around. Unless it has hit you personally, as it has you and I, it is hard for it to sink home just how contagious this is. The US certainly has a far worse record of handling it than most of the world (certainly G7 countries), but had it not done any shutdowns, the death toll right now may be closer to a million. The disease spreads exponentially if no controls are put in place. The problem is its incubation period, and the fact people can spread it who do not know they have it. That makes it far more dangerous than the flu. I am Canadian so I am not going to get too much into American politics, but I do think your admin dropped the ball on this one. I share your political opinion on it, but I think your divisive politics on both sides have also worked against you. I compare what happened in this country where both left & right wing provincial governments seem to be on the same page with Covid. You have 5% of the population and 25% of the problem, and you can't really argue with that. Especially since the US is the best equipped to deal with this. Hopefully lessons have been learned for when this happens the next time as it inevitably will. Hopefully not for another 100 years, but I suspect with the way people move around, it will a lot sooner. Investments must be made ASAP to deal with the next one. I hate to say we are fortunate, but thank God it's not more lethal than it is. I saw an analogy the other day that really puts this into perspective. If this were airline disasters, it would be the equivalent in the US of 5 planes crashing a day with 100% fatalities. That would immediately shut down all air travel

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
The US Population is 330,000,000 and in 5 months the number of deaths was 130,000. The number of deaths from COVID as a percent of the population is 0.03939 %. Compared to the number of cancer cases diagnosed in 2019 (1,762.450...) and 607,000 deaths that percentage of death is 0.184%.

A very well orchestrated plan, or an unimaginable set of events that just fell into place ... with the United States front and center ?

Scare people with a virus, force them to wear masks and place them in quarantine. Count the number of dead every second of every day, in every News Headline. By the way, ninety-nine and eight-tenths of the people who get the virus, recover.

Remove entertainment and prohibit Recreation; Closing parks, gyms, bars, restaurants, sports. No dating. No touching. Isolate people. Dehumanize them.
Close Temples and Churches, prohibit worship. Create a vacuum and let depression, anxiety, hopelessness and desperation set in.

So...you're going with "this is a conspiracy theory and blown way out of proportion"?

Are my two dead neighbors (mother and daughter), my dead 31-year old co-worker (who was a health nut, runner), and thousand Americans dying every day part of that "hysteria"?

My wife is an RN. You may not be seeing this in your part of the woods (yet), but come on down to areas where this is very real, and spend some time in a hospital cafeteria and talk to the nurses and doctors.

It seems you think we're all being misled but have you considered the propaganda you're being fed, as posted, might indicate that you perhaps are the one being misled?

I think others have pointed out how incorrect and misleading your numbers are. Far, far more people have this than are "official" and part of the counts.

160,000 dead American moms, dads, grandmas, papas, aunts, uncles, and yes, even kids in just a *few months*. Think about that. It's hype? How about 750,000 dead around the world - they're all part of some grand conspiracy?

It amazes me that folks will buy into that, while in plain view the very foundations of our Constitution and country are being dismantled each and every day. We "might" have an election, our public education and postal service is being destroyed from within by those who want to build for-profit alternatives, and we take no action while an adversary puts out hit jobs on our brave service members - what patriot ever believed we'd hear those things?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
moisheh wrote:
The vaccine will be of little help in a country where maybe 50% eill not get the shot. Add to that if masks are not mandated the virus will win. Keep in mind that even the flu vaccine is only 50% effective.

A recent poll in Saskatchewan suggests only 30% of folks would be willing to have a jab for Covid 19. I'm so happy to know I live among the rednecks, and anti vaxers.

I think I'll buy some stock in a mask making enterprise.

Our cases are flying up now in Regina (doubling every 3 days)--fewer and fewer folks are wearing masks.

The Dollar Tree has a sign on the door that says no entry without a mask. Unfortunately folks are not following the guide lines.

Shoppers Drug Mart has a Security Guard now--I was wearing a mask, but it may be he is there to enforce the guidelines.

The Coop grocery store has a sign asking anyone with any symptoms to not enter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Edd505 wrote:

By the way, ninety-nine and eight-tenths of the people who get the virus, recover.

There are as of 2020 08 05 4,973,568 discovered cases.

There are 331,192,837 folks in USA. So of discovered cases the number is 1.5%.

There have been 161,601 deaths or 3.2% of discovered cases.

This appears to be a far cry from 0.1%

Of course, if folks would wear masks.......but we North Americans are far to grand for that sort of nonsense.

Of course, 750,000 died in the American civil war over about 4 years. So you might say the virus in 5 months has killed as many as in one year of the civil war.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
philh wrote:
Sorry, it was 36%. US Military Study

Source

If they would link to the original document and prove they were not cherry picking the data, I'd have more confidence in what is being said. Is it a 'garden path'?

March is 5 months ago.

USA is at 161,601 dead. I'd prefer to not go there any time soon.
Regards, Don

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Unfortunately Canada has signed up with Moderna and Phizer for vaccine production. Neither company is expected have a vaccine for 18 months. Both are USA based. I expect that means "USA first, and Canada tail of the dog".

May have to see what Mexico does. I am a resident there so should be able to get what they use if available. I also thought canada has some arrangement fro the oxford vaccine. Who knows its all confusing.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
wiskeyVI wrote:
I hadn't gotten a flu vaccination in 20yrs, and hadn't gotten the flu.
When I started driving school bus and volunteering at the VA, I had to get vaccination...both those times I got the flu. Could have just been the exposure rate. The second time, I was asymptomatic.

On another note, has anyone hear seen/heard the interview Glenn Beck did with Dr. Gold??

No, but if she is that black woman in that video, she seems to be a bit of a nut job, aliens in government, impregnation by demons, etc. Most of the others there also aren't what they claim. heck I wish hydroxychloroquine did work, but there appears to be more evidence it doesn't, than it does.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87797

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
I hadn't gotten a flu vaccination in 20yrs, and hadn't gotten the flu.
When I started driving school bus and volunteering at the VA, I had to get vaccination...both those times I got the flu. Could have just been the exposure rate. The second time, I was asymptomatic.

On another note, has anyone hear seen/heard the interview Glenn Beck did with Dr. Gold??