cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

which receivers

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to switch my Winegard Traveler from Directv to Dish. I have ordered the parts I need from Winegard after speaking with Winegard so should be all set there. Instructions look pretty basic so plan to do that myself.

Now it is time to talk about receivers/DVRs. At a minimum, I want to be able to record one program while still watch a different program on the living room tv. I also want to be able to watch a different program on the bedroom tv and be able to fast forward through commercials so I guess that will also require some type of dvr as well. Third thing I would like is to be able to watch programs that have already been recorded even when I cannot receive a satellite signal. For example, on the road to Alaska outside signal range.

So do I want Hoppers, wallys, Joeys, wireless joeys, Hopper duo, Hopper 3? any assistance in picking out receivers will be greatly appreciated.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
6 REPLIES 6

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those times that you are under trees, a portable home style antenna will do the same job. It's almost as easy to setup once you have practiced a few times and it will always perform better than a dome, especially if you are somewhere like the OR coast (rain, dew, ocean spray, etc.).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
original poster here. Thanks for all the replies. I've learned a lot. Your feedback gave me a good start on researching my options. Not sure when I'm going to take the plunge to Dish.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes , as I said the hopper Joey is much more capable. Also more expensive and continuous advanced Monthly DVR charges that donโ€™t apply to the wallys with add on hard drives.
Itโ€™s a matter of what you must have and what you want to spend.
The other aspect of the wally i forgot is it can control a portable dish for use under trees etc. The Hopper canโ€™t . I needed that for a host gig on the Oregon coast.
Lots of options. The best is Dish is easy to deal with.
Bill

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The limitation with the Wally setup described above is that you can only watch what was recorded on the Wally associated with that TV. With the Hopper/Joey setup you can watch anything on any TV.

What he said. We have a Hopper3 and wireless Joey in our bus.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The limitation with the Wally setup described above is that you can only watch what was recorded on the Wally associated with that TV. With the Hopper/Joey setup you can watch anything on any TV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
The hopper and Joey would be the most elegant and more expensive route and many go that way.
I went with wallys -2 and added my own hard drive to each for a ONE time 40 charge NO continuing DVR charge. Just A $7 charge for the second receiver on the account . I can record one and watch another on each individual tuner ( 4 channels 2 receivers ) . With a over the air adapter those numbers would double with the ability to record / watch 2 ota channels per receiver additionally.
Bill