cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plastic toilet and sink cleaning?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
At some point filling it with water and dishwasher detergent and gentle rubbing with a sponge doesn't work. Resistant stains in sink after mechanical/painting/lubricating work, stains in toilet accumulate with time too.

Scoring pads? Even the most delicate Scotchbrite pad w/foam backing - pink color - is not recommended on Acrylic fixtures.

Then there is baking soda with vinegar - TAD works.

Barkeepers Friend was recommended by somebody for careful use on Acrylic. Ingredients: LINEAR SODIUM DODECYL BENZENE SULFONATE (DDBSA), OXALIC ACID.

Did anybody try the 'Friend, or is there anything else?
24 REPLIES 24

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you Grandpopsicle. Sounds like a good inexpensive maintenance tip.

grandpopsicle
Explorer
Explorer
The solution below works great for cleaning and helps with the odor. Cant deal with the standard smell of pine sol so we use the lemon one. Bonus is that it keeps the gaskets on the gates from drying out and failing. Been using it for several months and must say that it works great. We also use it for gleaning the sink and bowl.

Use a clean, empty one-gallon plastic jug or bottle
Measure 40 ounces of Pine-Sol (or similar pine oil cleaner) into the jug or bottle
Add four ounces of Calgon bath powder, liquid, or bath beads to the jug or bottle
Slowly add water to the jug or bottle. The contents will foam, so be patient. The lemon doesn't foam like the regular pine sol.
Put the cap on the jug or bottle and shake
Every time youโ€™ve emptied your holding tanks, add 1/2 cup of this solution (to both tanks)
Whatโ€™s this solution do?

Remember, your holding tanks are not a septic system. You do not want anything breaking down in them. The key ingredient here is the Calgon. Itโ€™s a surfacant, breaking down the surface tension of water or liquid in the tank and making the tankโ€™s surfaces slippery. It will help waste from sticking to the inside of the tank.

The Pine-Sol is a strong disinfectant and has an odor-masking quality. Note that you can use other brands of pine oil cleaner than Pine-Sol.

Follow this recipe and you can make a gallon of tank solution for little $ Thatโ€™s 50 tank treatments!
Never make the mistake of thinking you know everything about something. ๐Ÿ˜›

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I use the dri wash n guard classic (the greenish stuff) works good and makes things smooth and slick

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Ahahahaha!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Naio wrote:
Almost, I'm not familiar. What is the purpose of the Cross of toilet paper?

To reduce "skid marks". ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Almost, I'm not familiar. What is the purpose of the Cross of toilet paper?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
x3 on Soft Scrub with bleach or Soft Scrub Lemon Cleanser for that fresh lemony smell.

X4
Previous owner of my first MH kept every single piece of paper/documents.

Looking thru them all, he even saved the sticker that was on the toilet!

It said to use only Softscrub! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Using Clorox Toilet Wand to clean with. Use Odo-Ban from Sam's Club for cleaning and putting in the black tank to control smell and helps clean it...
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had our camper for quite a few years and it has been used a lot including 2 years as full timers. Our rule has been no scrubbing on the toilet, ever. It is still like new. No stains. No scratches, very smooth and the waste just slides right off. One you scratch it, stuff will stick.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I open the blade/shutter, smell from the tank dwarfs any other smell. The only time I notice smell with the blade closed is when I bend down to make a (un)holy cross of toilet paper before #2, if you're familiar with this trick. Vinegar (with baking soda) has its place for sure.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Not about stains, but I was having a terrible problem with smell. I tried various cleaners, pet stain remover, isopropyl alcohol, etc. Finally I tried vinegar and it worked instantly! So I just thought I'd post this in case anyone else needed to know.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a toilet brush and bleach water. I do this just prior to a dump so that bleach is not sitting on the seals anywhere. Then once a year or so we use a toilet bowl cleaner that is for mineral deposits. So far so good and it keeps the seal holding water in the bowl.

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thetford makes a cleaner called Aqua Klean (sp?) which works well on cleaning all things plastic. Plastics and abrasives of any kind do not mix!
chartrue2@aol.com

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used Bar Keeper's Friend. It works well. Most of the time, I am too lazy to do a really good job and just spray Windex around and hope for the best. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Actually, in the toilet, I use a little liquid car wax -- I think it is called Nu Finish. (Too lazy to go to the garage to check --- I am sensing a theme here.) . You wipe it on, wait till it dries, wipe it off.

It does help the staining a little bit. More importantly, it creates a slick finish so that anything that happens to go into the toilet slides right into the drain. And that's a good thing, to quote Martha Stewart, who probably has never waxed the INSIDE of a toilet. (She might've done the outside, though.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."