cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you tow a Jeep behind your 5th wheel?

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen people do this. If you do this what advice would you give me. I am planning a long trip from South Louisiana to Billings Montana next year. I would love to bring my Jeep with me since we will be there for a month or two. I plan on driving maybe 400 miles or less per day. and taking about 2 weeks to get there.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg
19 REPLIES 19

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
blindeyes wrote:
Fan of trucks and either I use my Ram or Jeep when towing my rv. If you are planning to that you might want to use a hitch. recommending this hitch https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/82208219.html. What model of Jeep do you own as each model can only tow a specific weight at the back?

The camper is a 5th wheel.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

blindeyes
Explorer
Explorer
Fan of trucks and either I use my Ram or Jeep when towing my rv. If you are planning to that you might want to use a hitch. recommending this hitch https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/82208219.html. What model of Jeep do you own as each model can only tow a specific weight at the back?

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
sayoung wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
By the time you outfit everything for safe towing, you could rent a Jeep for a month probably cheaper

You beat me to it. To me best idea.
Also, does Louisiana require a different license to legally drive/tow that much combined GVWR ?

Doesnโ€™t matter itโ€™s based on your states laws.

You really should look where he lives. the OP is based in Louisiana so uses a La. license. Does La require an upgrade to tow that much combined gvwr ?
It's like my Tx " A " non CDL. If I didn't have it , only a C , and had a wreck or had to show to LEO while towing my rig , it's called driving without a license.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely get a braking system. The dynamics of that much weight pushing the rear of the fifth wheel could be hairy.
-- Chris Bryant

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
My jeep (now someone else's jeep) did just fine behind my truck, my FW, and my MH. In all cases I used a Brake Buddy auxiliary brake system.

I taped into the FW brake lights and installed a 4 pin plug for the jeeps lights. Also used the plug for other trailers I pulled behind the FW.

Just make sure both hitches, the FW and the one on the FW, are up to the job. On most trips to the desert I see at least one jeep tailgating a FW :). I won't get into the legality of it as that is a whole can of worms.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
sayoung wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
By the time you outfit everything for safe towing, you could rent a Jeep for a month probably cheaper

Also, does Louisiana require a different license to legally drive/tow that much combined GVWR ?

Doesnโ€™t matter itโ€™s based on your states laws.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

Rented a Jeep in Moab for two days, $230.00/day. All I need to do is get a wireless tail light for $100.00 and I'm set. I've already towed the Jeep to Colorado 5 times behind the truck without the 5th wheel.

I've towed my boat behind the 5th wheel a couple of times here in Louisiana. We just have a length requirement. I'll do my best to find out what I can in the other states.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

Excellent point. If this is a one-time deal, this is likely the better way to go!

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

Plus there is the hassle if you can't get a pull through site. You won't be able to back up with the jeep attached, so that means disconnecting before setting up camp and then reconnecting after pulling out. If you are traveling 2 weeks straight, that's a bit of a hassle.

I have watched a MH drop the toad, move the toad into site, MH back in, and hook up. Same work, but ready to leave early AM...

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Check the tow ratings also...both for the truck and with the 5er manufacturer.

Good chance with a 2008 3/4 ton, you are over the limits.

Also, how much is the jeep braking system going to cost? That's well above most states limits for a trailer without brakes.

Plus there is the hassle if you can't get a pull through site. You won't be able to back up with the jeep attached, so that means disconnecting before setting up camp and then reconnecting after pulling out. If you are traveling 2 weeks straight, that's a bit of a hassle.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have an answer to your question directly, but have you considered a second person driving the Jeep as a "chase car" while you tow the trailer? Get a set of walkie-talkies and it could be a really fun adventure. This would eliminate any legal issues in any state you travel.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
DOH
check the legality of this for all states you will be going through.
bumpy

Yup. Legal in some states, not in others. And they WILL pull you over, out-of-state vehicle or no.