cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eternabond vs Dicor

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I just removed about 12 feet of Dicor, cleaned it and reapplied Dicor. NOT an easy job especially for an old timer like me. Was wondering if anyone has used Eternabond instead of Dicor over roof seams and what the results have been? Does surface prep require removing old Dicor?

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad
36 REPLIES 36

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
zigzagrv wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Eternabond done properly eliminates maintenance.

Eliminating maintenance is my priority!

Your call but adding Dicor along edges simply adds maintenance!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Eliminating maintenance is my priority!

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dicor properly done and maintained won't leak and is a great product.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
When I removed the old Dicor, I did not remove every last bit of it. If that was my intention, I'd still be up on the roof. ;). Dicor is pretty amazing stuff since after several (5?) years, the old stuff is still very pliable and sticky under the dirty top layer, so did not see a need to remove it all. I simply cleaned the surrounding area with acetone and reapplied the new Dicor.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whiskey River wrote:
Snip...
BarneyS: You put eternabond on every roof penetration 10 years ago. Leak or preventive maintenance?
Snip...

It was done exclusively for preventive maintenance. By the way, we did not cover the edges with sealant but did cover our whole roof with liquid rubber several years ago - again for preventive maintenance. We have never had a leak in the roof (knock on wood).
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond for the remaining 25 feet

With a pebbled roof I would test and retest to make sure the tape will fill the pebbles. I suspect there will be little gaps due to that textured surface, and water will be able to slowly seep in. Just one drop of water once per day is enough to cause the trailer roof or wall to rot.

In this case I would use the Lap sealant only. When you do need to remove it and reLap it you can just leave whatever residue is sitting in the low places of the pebble surface and Lap right over it. You will not be able to use a scraper to remove either the Lap sealant or the tape without leaving behind residue in the crevices.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
zigzagrv wrote:
OP here. I had a tough time removing the old Dicor probably because the air temp was in the low 60's. Will use a heat gun the next time Duh! The other thing is I have a fiberglass roof with a rough surface (pebbled?). So, I think a thin bead of Dicor on the edge of the tape would be necessary to properly seal it.

Thanks for all the hints and suggestions. I'll be going with the Eternabond for the remaining 25 feet or so that I haven't done yet.

Do what you want! Contact Eternabond on the subject!!! The product is VERY pliable and will seal completely to your fiberglass roof.

Use a long handle laminate roller. Bear down on it especially along all edges.

AMAZON
Long Handle J-Roller With Rubber Roller 1-1/2โ€ in diameter by 2-7/8โ€ wide. For Veneers, Laminate And Edge Banding
4.6 out of 5 stars
$13.99

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I had a tough time removing the old Dicor probably because the air temp was in the low 60's. Will use a heat gun the next time Duh! The other thing is I have a fiberglass roof with a rough surface (pebbled?). So, I think a thin bead of Dicor on the edge of the tape would be necessary to properly seal it.

Thanks for all the hints and suggestions. I'll be going with the Eternabond for the remaining 25 feet or so that I haven't done yet.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say if under warranty contact manufacturer before applying the Eternabone!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
" It was where the tape had to transition from on top of the other layer of tape to the roof. It did not fill that angle gap. Just a drop of Dicor fixed this now known issue."

Now THIS comment makes sense.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
caused one trailer owner to loose his new trailer roof warranty.

Care to provide details? This sounds ridiculous...

Not really.
The trailer owner had a brand new trailer and bit into the add Eternbond thing and you won't ever have to do anymore roof maintance thing some like to push. From his discription he applied it over much of the roof fixtures/jacks/cap seams.
He had the trailer back for some warranty issues and someone from the dealership saw all the bandaids laying on the new trailers roof. Apparantly Eternabond was not a factory approved sealant.
The trailer owner was a rv.net member ("novice" or some thing like that). He was a prolific new poster 4-5 years back. Had tons of questions.

Nothing new there as trailer owners on other rv websites have talked about that problem when applying it on a new trailer.

Much also has been posted on the net about resale value of a new trailer concerning the use of Eternabond.

I did a quick google and found several websites where both issues were discussed. Interesting subject as some members have said their trailer mfg had no issue with using the product.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the tape successfully too.
Beware, that when overlapping the tape you should put a dab of Dicor on the overlap. I used the tape to hold down solar panels and where the tape met at a 90 deg angle a tiny bit of water was able to get under. It was where the tape had to transition from on top of the other layer of tape to the roof. It did not fill that angle gap. Just a drop of Dicor fixed this now known issue.

I have used the tape on the roof vent. No issues. Yes, there is lumps, but as long as the edges of the tape can lay flat it can be as lumpy as it wants in the center of the tape.

No need to use a roller to flatten the tape. I used the thumb loop of my scissors and just "rolled" it down with force.

The reason to use Dicor instead of tape is that the tape residue is much harder to remove. Although the tape is easy to remove with a bit of heat, it still leaves behind residue. Even on a flat fiberglass surface with 1500 degrees of flameless heat it is difficult to scrape it all off. Dicor will scrape off fairly easy with just a scraper. (be sure to put the flat side of the scraper down, not the beveled edge).

But, Dicor will not last as long as the tape. In a few years Dicor might start to crack. As others have said, the tape can last for years, one guy mentioned 10 years and I have mo problem with this claim.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
caused one trailer owner to loose his new trailer roof warranty.

Care to provide details? This sounds ridiculous...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Whiskey River wrote:
Still wondering so will ask my question a little different.
gbopp: You covered all roof seams & edges w/eternabond & several years later no problem. Did you have a problem or leak before or was this done for preventive maintenance?
jplante4: You did eternabond on both seams. Did you have a leak or do this for preventive maintenance?
Halmfamily: You put eternabond on all roof seams four years ago. Were the seams leaking or do this for preventive maintenance?
BarneyS: You put eternabond on every roof penetration 10 years ago. Leak or preventive maintenance?
ReneeG: You did seams & skylight with eternabond. Leak or preventive maintenance? We had a leak at the skylight. BUT - we applied Eternabond at the seams on the front and back cap - Maintenance and no problem to date.
My rig is 10 years old and I have never had a leak. I clean it and treat it a couple times a year. I'm just trying to decide if I should put eternabond on the seams etc. That's why I wonder if you all had a leak prior to installing the Eternabondโ€ฆ...
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton