cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magnum MS2000 dying. Questions about replacing it.

bkf
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.

Short version: Does anybody have a link or explanation for the different Magnum MS2000 and MS2012 intertver chargers? The Magnum site lists the following for the 2012:
MS2012-15B, MS2012-15B-U, MS2012-20B, MS2012-20B-U, MS2012-G, MS2012-U

I understand that the -15B and -20B units allow for some different possibilities, but I can't find any discussion or explanation of what the -U or -G do. Anybody have any info? The PDFs from Magnum don't seem to clarify, but I might just be misunderstanding or missing the info.

Long version:
My Magnum MS2000 has been on its way out for the past year or so. Last winter, after some serious troubleshooting (with help from folks on this forum), I realized it was the problem. If it gets cold (this took me a while to figure out), it clicks on and off perpetually, and doesn't charge the batteries.

For last winter, I was able to stick a 100w bulb in the compartment where the inverter/charger is, and that kept it warm enough to stay working.

But now that we're heading into another winter, it's getting to the point where even with the bulb it's starting to die. So I'm looking to replace it. Just need to make sure I don't order a wrong unit because I don't understand the nomenclature.

Thanks for any advice ๐Ÿ™‚
12 REPLIES 12

bkf
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought on your existing inverter, the symptoms reek of a "cold solder joint". I believe there are 2 printed circuit boards on that unit. Might be worthwhile to go through and resolder all the joints just to see what happens.

Huh. That's worth a shot. Thanks for the idea. I'll post back if I have any luck.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought on your existing inverter, the symptoms reek of a "cold solder joint". I believe there are 2 printed circuit boards on that unit. Might be worthwhile to go through and resolder all the joints just to see what happens.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

bkf
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for the info and advice.

Magnum got back to me. The -U means it ships in a UPS box, and the -G means it has a GFCI on the unit, which would actually be pretty cool (for me, at least, because during winter I need to stick a 100w bulb inside my Girard tankless heater to keep it from freezing, but probably not a big deal in general.)

Hopefully Google will find this page and folks will have an easier answer for the difference between the "MS2000-G" and "MS2000-U" (or the MS2012-G and MS2012-U).

@airdaile, it's about 7 years old, unfortunately. So no warranty for me.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I have had very good luck with Magnum over the years and highly recommend it. If you want a good 2000 watt unit, go with the MS2012 which will take care of virtually every normal need. If you want to go high tech, try the MSH3012RV. Have not seen one yet but lots of bells and whistles on a solid Magnum platform, including Hybrid technology, 5 stage charger (max 125ADC continuous), RV-C connector and of course, pure sine.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
bkf wrote:
@time2roll, thanks. That's an interesting option. You have any thoughts about the size of charger? I've got 4x6v (wired series+parallel so 12v and ~460ah, I believe), but the batteries (for now, while we're not moving much) are just used for the lights, fridge, tankless water heater... not much. It'd be a lot cheaper to get a charger, that's for sure.
While plugged into utility power 30 to 45 amps is plenty. If you expect fast battery charging from a generator 60 to 90 amps would be better.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9280C-148-80-Amp-RV-ConverterCharger

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
How old is the inverter? If you have the remote display, it may have a 5 year warranty. Call Magnum. 425-353-8833

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
No real options except to play with giving it an autopy and possible work around and component upgrade. Better than tossing it. Dropoff is 2 stoplights from i-805 off/on ramp in chula vista. No fee.

bkf
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all.

@pianotuna, thanks for the recs. I figured it'd be easiest to stick with the Magnum because the remote's already hooked up and it'd likely be the least work (both physical and brain) for me. But I'll take a look at those others.

@time2roll, thanks. That's an interesting option. You have any thoughts about the size of charger? I've got 4x6v (wired series+parallel so 12v and ~460ah, I believe), but the batteries (for now, while we're not moving much) are just used for the lights, fridge, tankless water heater... not much. It'd be a lot cheaper to get a charger, that's for sure.

@mexicowanderer, I'll be in San Diego in December, but not in the RV. Any good capacitor-related options in San Diego?

@navigator2346, I have and am waiting on a response, but the forums often provide additional insight that I'm not going to get from Magnum, as evidenced from this thread already.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Got capacitor-itis.

Too bad you don't live near San Diego.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as the inverter works and you can turn off the charging.... Consider connecting a standard converter to keep the batteries charged when utility power is available. Just don't get a WFCO. Progressive Dynamics, IOTA, PowerMax are all great.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Have you done something crazy like contacting Magnum?
They are an excellent company and have good tech support. You are getting info from a forum and not from the parent company

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome to the forums.

I would abandon Magnum and move to Victron or Outback.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.