cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter/Charger Questions.

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
I have a one year old rig and thinking of replacing my WCO converter, or at least have a spare. Last season the stock unit quit charging for a day and started working again the next day. So confidence is low.

So shopping for a replacement but also thinking of upgrading the 2 6 volt batteries to Li batteries in the near future.

My questions are around the recharging.

My solar has a setting for Li so that should be good to go.

The truck is a 2020 Diesel bone stock ???

The stand alone converter/charger is a WCO and the amp rating is forgotten right now but I will be getting it before I purchase a replacement. I would expect I need to get a converter/charger that is LI compatible is that a correct assumption?
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
21 REPLIES 21

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of thanks for the tons of info in the replies.

I have been trying to find a Progressive Dynamics convert/charger to replace the WFCO WF 9855 that came with my 5er.

I can't seem to find a 55 amp like my WFCO unit. (A plug in floor mount).

I can find a 60 amp one though. Would that b a close enough match ?
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the discussion. It has been most helpful
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Charging to 100% is not desirable for Li, if you wish to have maximum cycle life. Neither is float charging.
Float charging like lead-acid above the resting voltage is not the best for LFP. Properly floating 100mV to 200mV below resting is no problem at all. That would be 13.2 on a 12v LFP that would ordinarily rest at 13.4 volts and will not affect longevity.

This is part of the reason "lithium" converters do not work well with LFP batteries. Many will float at 13.6 to 14.6 volts and reduce the life.
There are compromises no matter how you use a lifepo4. Users can choose to focus on max longevity, max charge/discharge performance, or anywhere in between.

Focus on max charge/discharge performance (high c charge/discharge) and get 1000 - 2000 cycles.

Focus on max longevity (low c charge/discharge) and get 3000 - 4000 cycles.

1000 cycles, the worst case scenario, will net the average user at least 10-15 years of use before the battery experiences a 20% reduction in ah capacity.

In this context, are elaborate charge/discharge protocols really all that necessary or important?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Charging to 100% is not desirable for Li, if you wish to have maximum cycle life. Neither is float charging.
Float charging like lead-acid above the resting voltage is not the best for LFP. Properly floating 100mV to 200mV below resting is no problem at all. That would be 13.2 on a 12v LFP that would ordinarily rest at 13.4 volts and will not affect longevity.

This is part of the reason "lithium" converters do not work well with LFP batteries. Many will float at 13.6 to 14.6 volts and reduce the life.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ken56 wrote:
If you are comfortable with the knowledge that these batteries can catch fire then go for it. Tesla's have Lithium Ion batteries and some catch fire. Just like those things the kids ride around on today, they can catch fire. Phones catch fire some times. That's why they don't recommend leaving them plugged in to charge over night while you are sleeping. Li-ion batteries are very sensitive to high temperatures. I use an AGM with a good amp hour rating and I don't worry.

Hi Ken56,

I have loads of reasons why I think Li are fussy. This is not one of my concerns with LiFePo4, since the advent of built in battery management systems on the jar.

flyfishing48,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
BFL13 wrote:
Your editting invoice has been added to your CRA account ๐Ÿ™‚

Lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your editting invoice has been added to your CRA account ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
BFL13 wrote:
Nitpic. You can't say X times less. Times is more. 1/40th as often ? Clumsy. Can reverse to say gas 40 times more likely

Makes sense. My bad.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nitpic. You can't say X times less. Times is more. 1/40th as often ? Clumsy. Can reverse to say gas 40 times more likely
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
ken56 wrote:
If you are comfortable with the knowledge that these batteries can catch fire then go for it. Tesla's have Lithium Ion batteries and some catch fire. Just like those things the kids ride around on today, they can catch fire. Phones catch fire some times. That's why they don't recommend leaving them plugged in to charge over night while you are sleeping. Li-ion batteries are very sensitive to high temperatures. I use an AGM with a good amp hour rating and I don't worry.

Teslas are about 40 times less likely to catch fire than a gas vehicle.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected. I didn't know there was a difference. Thanks for educating me on that. This is why I love this forum. The knowledge possessed by the members and helping others understand exactly what is what. Like my wife tells me, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. Seriously though, the wealth of knowledge of the members and their willingness to share it is invaluable.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw a YT where the LFP cell was charged direct with 120vac from the wall. Yes that was an issue so don't do that.