cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter RV Florida Gulf Coast

pamo
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for Winter RV Parks for Florida Gulf Coast. Every place we tried has nothing available.
8 REPLIES 8

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
12 years ago when my wife and I started camping, you could pick up and go to Florida on a whim and find a spot. The economy is strong and people have more disposable income now. We have a great place we stay for 2 weeks in February on the Gulf Coast between Tampa and Sarasota, but we have to book a year in advance. You'd better start looking NOW for winter 2020 if you want to camp anywhere near the water. That's the downfall of a strong economy...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
pamo wrote:
Looking for Winter RV Parks for Florida Gulf Coast. Every place we tried has nothing available.

You need to be more specific about where on the gulf coast youโ€™d like to be...
Pensacola to the Keys is too big an area for such a general question.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what we did. Disclaimer: This was over the 2015-2016 winter which was before the big push in buying RVs, but I believe that 90% of the big push was bought by working people who won't be spending the winters on the Gulf Coast.

We left New England Nov. 1st and got back on May 4th. We stayed at most places 1 week, usually traveling on Wednesday. We knew where we were staying next and I was looking for a place to stay the stop after that. We had advanced reservations only at places we wanted to be at a certain time.

We never had a problem getting into a place, and I don't even think I had to call more than a couple of campgrounds in one area. We alternated between private and public CGs. We started down the east coast (Myrtle and Hilton Head) then the W. Palm area in FL, over to the Sarasota area then out the panhandle and around the gulf coast to Galveston. We worked our way back through OK, Arkansas, the Ozarks, KC and east from there.

I believe the reason this worked is because I was picking up cancelled plans. The roughly 2 week out period, plus not checking in on a Friday seemed to work for us.

We wanted to get further south in Florida - like down towards Naples - and there were sites available at private CGs, but the price was above what we decided was reasonable (> $100 a night).

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
The closer you get to the water the harder it is to find a spot. More $$$ also.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility is Clerbrook Golf and RV Resort in Clermont. You don't have to golf to stay there but it is helpful to get your exercise.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Most places book a year out. Trying to find something only months out is gonna be a challenge. The pan handle may be your only choice, like I tell everyone who wants to be south of I-4 for the warmer weather, 40 degree nights and 60 degree days are still better than -5 wherever your coming from.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Did you include the panhandle in your search?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try Blueberry Hill in Bushnell. They used to always have sites but so many are not permanent residences (where the RV's don't move) the number of available sites is down substantially.
What they have is long concrete sites, all full hookup, set on an angle so even tho you may be right next to another it doesn't seem so.
Lots of good eating in Bushnell although you probably never heard of the town.
Also, a Walmart is just across the side street! What more could you want.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)