cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this forum dead?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
No archived posts and only one newish one. What;s up?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
15 REPLIES 15

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:

Well maybe ... but this forum is also populated with a lot of stuff not in social media, such as:

1. Wisdom
2. Experience
3. Level-headedness
4. Civility
5. Calmness
6. Sympathy
7. Politeness
8. Good judgement
9. Patience
10. Lack of four-letter explicatives
11. Etc.

As far as stone age software is concerned ... try surfing some of the websites all over the place that are illogical in their layout, unwieldy to use, overly complex, non-intuitive, take 10 minutes or longer to figure out how to use them to accomplish a 30 second task, and/or just plain don't work ... if you think that this software is from antiquity. This forum software is a breath of fresh air compared to some of the trash stuff out there that has a lot of folks fooled into thinking it's "cool".

I wonder how many of today's 20/30-Something programmers have ever thought of having volunteer user groups (of all ages, including dinosaurs) critique their software beta versions before talking their clueless boses into thinking "gee, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread so go ahead and release it". :S and :h

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyBob Jim wrote:
eubank wrote:
Forums like this one are a thing of the past. Only us dinosaurs left. The rest are either dead or on other social media.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Not really......The Forest River Forums have over 120000 members and typically over a thousand of those active at a given time. Some of their moderators are also doosies when it comes to being oppressive JKoffs. Quite a few others around just as active also.

This forum is populated by dinosaurs, so you have that correct, and the software used is also from the stone age.

Well maybe ... but this forum is also populated with a lot of stuff not in social media, such as:

1. Wisdom
2. Experience
3. Level-headedness
4. Civility
5. Calmness
6. Sympathy
7. Politeness
8. Good judgement
9. Patience
10. Lack of four-letter explicatives
11. Etc.

As far as stone age software is concerned ... try surfing some of the websites all over the place that are illogical in their layout, unwieldy to use, overly complex, non-intuitive, take 10 minutes or longer to figure out how to use them to accomplish a 30 second task, and/or just plain don't work ... if you think that this software is from antiquity. This forum software is a breath of fresh air compared to some of the trash stuff out there that has a lot of folks fooled into thinking it's "cool".

I wonder how many of today's 20/30-Something programmers have ever thought of having volunteer user groups (of all ages, including dinosaurs) critique their software beta versions before talking their clueless boses into thinking "gee, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread so go ahead and release it". :S and :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
eubank wrote:
Forums like this one are a thing of the past. Only us dinosaurs left. The rest are either dead or on other social media.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Not really......The Forest River Forums have over 120000 members and typically over a thousand of those active at a given time. Some of their moderators are also doosies when it comes to being oppressive JKoffs. Quite a few others around just as active also.

This forum is populated by dinosaurs, so you have that correct, and the software used is also from the stone age.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
crcr wrote:
Will someone please tell me how to use social media to replace the functions of forums such as this?

By choice I don't have a fb account, but I use my wife's acct when needed, and for an example, I joined a fb group for Ram Cummins, but I don't find that it is broken down into categories, such as forums do with multiple sub categories and threads, so I didn't find the fb group useful at all.

Also ... I think that "social media" could benefit from Mods to help reduce some of the stuff going on in them.

Myself and the DW have no social media accounts because of all the baloney talk ... as per what friends tell us about them, what we read about them in magazines, and what we see/hear about them in the news channels. :S

Well regulated and organized forums are the civilized way to exchange information in the most efficient and helpful ways.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Will someone please tell me how to use social media to replace the functions of forums such as this?

By choice I don't have a fb account, but I use my wife's acct when needed, and for an example, I joined a fb group for Ram Cummins, but I don't find that it is broken down into categories, such as forums do with multiple sub categories and threads, so I didn't find the fb group useful at all.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I worked as a workamper for four years. Very enjoyable for me, you just need to know what is expected of you going in.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
steelhunter wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
No archived posts and only one newish one. What;s up?

Not dead but certainly on life support.

Some of the Mods have been a bit too restrictive causing folks to migrate.

LOL I came here from another forum for the same reason!
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
This just isn't a good forum to find workampers. If the moderator doesn't immediately lock down a help wanted post there will be reponses that tear apart the listing. Plus the entire Open Roads forums have seen dramatic decreases in participation, so the ads reach a very small audience. Just not worth the effort.
As for other workamping discussions, they are probably would get better exposure in the general RVing thread. So yes, this particular forum is pretty much on death's doorstep.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Then post something!

OK We are thinking about doing some Workcamping next year when my wife can retire. I am already retired. I subscribed to volunteer.gov and was surprised at the number of posts from there that included no RV site or a no hook up site. Do people actually take those?

For some reason I've been fixated on summer workcamping but seeing some other posts, not here obviously, I noticed winter workcamping is a thing too. That maybe more attuned to our interests since I think we'd like to travel during the summer season.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm glad someone else is a MOD.. Don't think I would be a very good MOD... It's one of those Darned if you do or Darned if you don't things haha...

My world is POPUP trailers and Tent Camping but I also got a fifth wheel trailer and thought we would do some traveling so I never really stop monitoring the bigger trailer threads... I am really a RV CAMPER not a RV TRAVELER...

Most threads is about batteries anyway haha...

I still get some good info being here... I monitor this forum, JAYCO forum, and POPUP PORTAL forum. Used to visit the STARCRAFT Forum for the POPUPS but that really 'WAS' a dead forum for sure... Finally gave up on it...

I kinda have been on the brink here for a couple of seasons with my POPUP ventures and just now getting back into the camping groove again... My camping stories are probably pretty well known by everyone now haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
Present!

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked my pulse... I am still here...

I have only been here for a little while so I am not familiar with the issue with the Mod's.

Edit: Well it doesn't seem like that long but I looked and I have been here five years...
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Then post something!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad