cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool chest in MHbasement

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’m looking for ideas. We have a 40’ do and full time. We are not really happy with the tool box we carry and are looking for new ideas. Remember we are full timers so we carry more stuff than a weekender person. Anyhow I would love to see pics of how you organize your tool bin.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
12 REPLIES 12

goff1256
Explorer
Explorer
I built a custom tool box to fit the size of the compartment for my motorhome out of wood put sliding drawers works really good
Erick & Jackie Goff; Plus Ellie Mae the Fu Fu Dog

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I know its apples and oranges but I recently redid my entire house garage (cabinets, tool boxes, storage, etc. etc.). At first I was overwhelmed and struggled but really got a handle on things by spending A LOT of time at the various stores just looking at the toolboxes and storage options. There really are a lot of great affordable boxes and containers.

Only you know what tools you have and how often you use them so it's tough for a bunch of strangers to design your space. To some people a set of tools consists of two screwdrivers, a set of pliers and a roll of duct tape. Other RVers are retired race car mechanics and carry enough tools to rebuild an engine.

Bruce_Brown
I recently added this kit from Harbor Freight to our MH. I have the same kit in my big garage and just bought another for our small garage. For $150.00 w/ coupon it's a deal.

I should have done this years ago.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Keter 5 drawer tool chest system which I absolutely recommend. You can get one on Amazon. Mine is a few years old and we camp about 9 months a year. It has given me zero problems.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is just about what we use. Not sure of the brand, however.
Tool box
Ours only has 3 total drawers but there are various sizes to fit most all of your needs.
We have been fulltiming since 1997!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what we use:
Tool box
Ours only has 3 total drawers but there are various sizes to fit most all of your needs.
We have been fulltiming since 1997!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i keep a few basic hand tools in the MH...screwdrivers, pliers, etc. most tools are in a tackle box in a storage bay.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a small toolbox that I bought years ago. However I always need the tools elsewhere. I now have 4 different bag type containers which are much more flexible in terms of tool location. One is open inside and has pockets around the exterior. One has a zipper for less frequently used tools. And 2 zippered ones contain the drill, charger and all related equipment.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at a Montezuma toolbox. They come in several sizes I love mine. and also search Metrinch. Metrinch wrench's and sockets can be used on both SAE and Metric fasteners, saving you half the weight of a combo SAE and metric set. I was sceptical at first but they are no joke and many pro's use them now.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
When we moved onto a boat where doing your own maintenance is not an option and space is at a real premium, I elected to go with a Nantucket Tool Bag.

I carried tools to fix anything on the boat in that bag, and still do. Now it lives in my Jeep along with my Makita 12v drill set bag. When we hit the road they both go into the basement of our Class B.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just keep in mind that tools are heavy and you do not want to find out on a bumpy highway that you overloaded your basement compartment. I use several smaller boxes dedicated to specific issues, such as electrical issues, and plumbing issues. Mechanical tools can get very heavy so you might want to spread them out to a couple of boxes.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than try the one size fits all box, I went to Walmart and got a series of interlocking plastic drawers (with holders) that I piut in one of the smaller compartments. 3 wide 5 high. Put a number of sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, fuses, meters, hammers, etc, in each with labels on the outside. Also, in a compartment with a large slide tray I put a piece of plywood between floor supports where I store plastic fishing lure boxes with screws, washers, nuts, cotter pins, o-rings, and all the kit boxes such as heat gun, manometer, small socket set, Dremel and pieces, electrical butt connectors, splices, and terminals, etc. Since this storage area is above the bottom of the frame rails, it was wasted space. I'm an old farmer and mechanic and feel naked without ALL my stuff. Has worked very well when I have a problem on the road in a remote area of Yukon, BC, Alberta, Alaska, and even the southwest. Only down side is the extra weight, but I'll gladly pay that freight. Sorry about no pic's, but I can't seem to get things to post right. If anyone's interested, PM me with your email address and I'll send .JPG.s back.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus