cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Pusher, side vs rear mount radiator

W5WTX_mobile
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect this topic has been discussed in the past but a quick search didn't find anything. We are shopping for our first Class A pusher. Our budget puts us in the 2000-2006 year model range. My question is related to side vs rear mount radiators. It looks to me that the side mount radiator would be highly desirable relative to engine access and would be my preference. That said, is a rear mount radiator a show stopper? In other words, if I found a coach that met all or most of our criteria but had a rear mount radiator, how much decision weight should I put into that one issue.
14 REPLIES 14

W5WTX_mobile
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. Hope to be
making a coach choice before too much longer. We are visiting a dealer on the 17th of this month. Not much used inventory out here in the high planes of West Texas.

Doug

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think that maintenance is nearly as much of an issue as it used to be. Engines just don't need as much work as they used to and therefore access to them is not nearly as important. Mine is six years old and I have never had an issue that required access.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I would not make the radiator location a major determinant in deciding if a motor home is right for you. If you somehow find two identical motor homes and one has a side radiator and one has a rear radiator, I would go for the one with the side radiator. However, it never works that way. Models either have one or the other.

More important are the quality of the coach, how well it has been cared for, and if the length and floor plan will work for you.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Safari rear radiator with a Cat 330 HP engine. Original owner with 58,000 miles on it. Never had a problem with dirt or over heating. I spray wash it after every trip. Runs very cool. Never gets hot climbing mountains. I live at 4,800' and everything is up or down from here. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another rear radiator diesel pusher.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb, they know more than we do.

On my model with the gear driven side radiator, I can control my fan speed from my instrument cluster on the dash using my steering wheel controls. The choice is normal-auto or I can change it to be locked on 'high' if needed.

When the fan kicks into high I'm amazed at the volume of air it can pull in. Any plastic bags or leaves are pulled towards the side door and that fan is ROARING.

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Airdaile, Prevost started using electric fans on their side radiators in the 2018/2019 model year. There are 8 fans and operate as needed.

In snowy conditions, the fans will reverse to remove snow from the fins and/or leaves.

(From Metro magazine)

Prevost is introducing the only electric cooling package for a powertrain of up to 500Hp. The system takes cooling to a whole new level where the system takes into account the amount of cooling needed, where it is required, the power needed for the task, and how this power will be generated.
Unveiled at the UMA Expo, the innovative and fully-integrated system was designed entirely in-house at Prevost. It eliminates the belt-driven fan, thereby reducing the engine horsepower required to operate. The end result is up to 4% improvement in fuel economy, better reliability/less downtime, enhanced performance, and potential decrease in maintenance costs.

Prevostโ€™s electric fan drive development was made possible by an in-house integration of all systems including a new electrical architecture. The new fans offer a progressive speed that is adjusted on demand from the engine cooling system. Since they are not driven by the engine, more power is available at the wheels.

The drive includes eight fans total; six for the radiator and for the Charge Air Cooler (CAC). Both the CAC and the radiator fans are split into two independent groups driven by a different multiplex module for complete redundancy to avoid coach down situation related to fan issues. The true beauty of the system is the vehicle can operate with only one of the two systems functioning.

The side by side configuration allows the complete surface of both the radiator and the CAC to receive fresh air. Debris cannot accumulate between them and the system logic was built with the following features to keep them clean and fully efficient at all time:

In winter conditions, fan rotation is reversed on a regular basis to push snow, ice, and sleet out of the radiator and CAC surface. In normal operation, air is pulled in the engine compartment. Alternatively, in summer conditions, fans are turned off from time to time so that any debris blocking air flow will drop off. For example, plastic bags can stick to the radiator door due to fan suction effect.

An additional benefit to the side by side configuration is the design allows the CAC to be easily and quickly removed independently of the radiator; giving mechanics easy access to the engine compartment.

Safe travels,
MM.

defies logic, the energy to run those fans must be made, some where, some how. energy is not free. If thier system worked without making the energy, we could have perpetual motion.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile, Prevost started using electric fans on their side radiators in the 2018/2019 model year. There are 8 fans and operate as needed.

In snowy conditions, the fans will reverse to remove snow from the fins and/or leaves.

(From Metro magazine)

Prevost is introducing the only electric cooling package for a powertrain of up to 500Hp. The system takes cooling to a whole new level where the system takes into account the amount of cooling needed, where it is required, the power needed for the task, and how this power will be generated.
Unveiled at the UMA Expo, the innovative and fully-integrated system was designed entirely in-house at Prevost. It eliminates the belt-driven fan, thereby reducing the engine horsepower required to operate. The end result is up to 4% improvement in fuel economy, better reliability/less downtime, enhanced performance, and potential decrease in maintenance costs.

Prevostโ€™s electric fan drive development was made possible by an in-house integration of all systems including a new electrical architecture. The new fans offer a progressive speed that is adjusted on demand from the engine cooling system. Since they are not driven by the engine, more power is available at the wheels.

The drive includes eight fans total; six for the radiator and for the Charge Air Cooler (CAC). Both the CAC and the radiator fans are split into two independent groups driven by a different multiplex module for complete redundancy to avoid coach down situation related to fan issues. The true beauty of the system is the vehicle can operate with only one of the two systems functioning.

The side by side configuration allows the complete surface of both the radiator and the CAC to receive fresh air. Debris cannot accumulate between them and the system logic was built with the following features to keep them clean and fully efficient at all time:

In winter conditions, fan rotation is reversed on a regular basis to push snow, ice, and sleet out of the radiator and CAC surface. In normal operation, air is pulled in the engine compartment. Alternatively, in summer conditions, fans are turned off from time to time so that any debris blocking air flow will drop off. For example, plastic bags can stick to the radiator door due to fan suction effect.

An additional benefit to the side by side configuration is the design allows the CAC to be easily and quickly removed independently of the radiator; giving mechanics easy access to the engine compartment.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 97 Luxor had a rear radiator and other than it was a PTA to change the upper radiator hose it has been fine for 21 years and 109,000mi. And I never cleaned it. I have a Monaco now with a side radiator and see no difference. I don't work on them so radiator location for that reason means nothing to me.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider about a side rad is the drive. If it's a complicated hydraulic drive mechanism, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. The old Detroit buses had a drive shaft/belt arrangement tat also had a lot of moving parts. I don't know why RV chassis designers don't use electric fans like the auto industry.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely would recommend a side radiator. Iโ€™ve had one in my 40 foot pusher for 15 years I would never go back to a rear radiator. They stay cleaner and also give you easier access to the engine.

Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct in thinking the side radiator is more desirable however the rear radiator coaches should not be something you need to avoid as a whole. What I would recommend to avoid is a rear radiator coach where the radiator and charge air cooler are sandwiched together. I had a coach like that and all kind of debris gets between the radiator and CAC and it is almost impossible to get them clean without removing them from the coach. As long as the radiator and CAC are mounted separate from each other you will have no problem.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Bruce_Brown
We've had both, I prefer the side radiator for the access.

With that said, with what you're looking to do, I wouldn't be afraid of rear radiator at all.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Rear mounted should be cleaned more often.
the older diesels have a slobber tube that puts oil residue in the radiator which collects dust till it chokes off airflow.
keep it clean no problem.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a rear mount on my Bounder. I've never had anything else, and it doesn't seem to bother me...โ€ฆ.maybe I just don't know any better.lol
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member