cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pressure regulator at source vs. destination

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a semi-expensive adjustable water pressure regulator with gauge. I would rather have it at the RV end of the water hose than the spigot end. I'm not sure if it even makes a difference. My rig has an enclosed compartment for all the water and sewer hookups so it would be ideal to be able to keep it there.

Is this just a stupid question or does it make a difference which end of the hose I place the regulator?
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara
18 REPLIES 18

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
I'm more of a tank and pump guy. No pressure worries.

X2
Consistent pressure/flow regardless of where you go
Easy to flip switch off when going to bed, leaving RV.
Pump short cycles......find the leak!

I do use reg (Watts adjustable) on hose to fill fresh water tank
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need a VERT GOOD hose if you permanently mount your pressure regulator. Year ago, there used to be a vendor known as the "Water Filter Man" at many of the big RV shows. He sold great hoses for $1 a foot plus $6 for solid brass ends. I bought a couple from him and then bought some of the hose and made some more. They still look like new some 10 years later. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the Water Filter Man is years but here's a link to the bulk hose he cut his from:

K6155-08X300 Kuriyama Kuri Tec K6155 Series High Purity Non-Toxic PVC Potable White Water Hose - 1/2...

300ft may be more than you can use but if you make a few in several different lengths to meet your needs (10', 15', 25' and 50' - you've gone through 100' already), you probably wouldn't have any problem making up a few extra and selling them to your friends when they see how nice they are. I don't have a source on the solid brass fittings that he crimped on.

I put my regulator on the spigot even though I always use these hoses. The sad thing is, I buy whole house 3/4" regulators and adapter them to male/female hose fittings. The whole thing runs around $50 and occasionally I leave them behind for the next camper - I really hate when I do that!
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can only tell you how I do it. I have a 6' hose from the spigot to a whole house water filter. Then I put the Watts regulator, then the hose to the RV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also prefer water in the tank ad use the pump. No pressure problems.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

puddleduck
Explorer
Explorer
I just remembered a story a guy told me. He said he was warned that he needed a pressure regulator when he checked in. He parked and hooked up. He attached his regulator behind the filter. Later in the afternoon he heard small explosion. Went outside to find the top blown off his filter.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
steved28 wrote:
I recently purchased a semi-expensive adjustable water pressure regulator with gauge. I would rather have it at the RV end of the water hose than the spigot end. I'm not sure if it even makes a difference. My rig has an enclosed compartment for all the water and sewer hookups so it would be ideal to be able to keep it there.

Is this just a stupid question or does it make a difference which end of the hose I place the regulator?

One of the places I park (actually 2 0f them) have measured pressure at 120 PSI or more (Saw the gauge myself at the one I only visited once).. That kind of pressure can blow your hose up.. Just like in the cartoons.

So put it first.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm more of a tank and pump guy. No pressure worries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I put the regulator after the filter. Sediment can destroy that new regulator. My setup goes like this;

faucet
wye
hose
sediment filter
regulator
hose
RV

The other side of the wye gets an expandable hose (Think Pocket Hose but better). In case of fire the wye is opened and within seconds the expandable hose is ready to use. Some campgrounds actually require there to always be a hose ready for fires. I hook one up as standard practice required or not.

I also use brass quick connect fittings everywhere except the faucet.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
If that pressure is after the Watts regulator then it has failed. I had to replace mine because it had failed so I am surprised you haven't blown out a toilet fill valve or something.

No, itโ€™s after the gauge, which is โ€œstreet pressureโ€
fj12ryder wrote:
After unhooking the hose from the faucet and discovering that night the pressure regulator was still on the faucet back at the campground, I now put the pressure regulator on the RV end. I have yet to see a hose burst, and a couple cheap hoses are still less than a good adjustable pressure regulator.

Thatโ€™s my experience. You find a lot of regulators in campgrounds.
-- Chris Bryant

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
I place the regulator at the park bib. Hoses may weaken and fail over time if you place it on the RV end. Either way the RV is protected. I left mine once on the park pipe and now am careful what I am taking off. Just another mental check list item.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
If that pressure is after the Watts regulator then it has failed. I had to replace mine because it had failed so I am surprised you haven't blown out a toilet fill valve or something.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
After unhooking the hose from the faucet and discovering that night the pressure regulator was still on the faucet back at the campground, I now put the pressure regulator on the RV end. I have yet to see a hose burst, and a couple cheap hoses are still less than a good adjustable pressure regulator.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Do you enjoy buying new hoses? Put the regulator at the Bib.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Water pressure into my house:

Watts regulator:

Also note the copper drain lines ๐Ÿ™‚
-- Chris Bryant