cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable WI-FI hot spots

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
What is everyone using for WI-FI hot spots? I’ve got a WiFi data plan for my truck but need something that I can use without having the truck on all the time. We have the option on our phones to make them a hotspot but it only includes 15gb a month which may or may not be enough for me to work remotely. ATT service is what we need. I called them and it sounded like they have an unlimited plan for around 40$ a month which sounded like a pretty good deal. I’m more interested in plans rather than hardware right now. Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
T18skyguy wrote:
I have T mobile and just had them enable hot spot on my phone. Fifteen dollars per month for 100 Gig with tethering. Works beautifully. I took a big trip this month and visited 4 different parks and used the phone hotspot over their crummy wifi at 3 of the 4 parks. It is just as fast as home and a good value.

Ditto Samsung GalaxyS7YXM is my hotspot (I changed the stuff after the 7) so I recognize it if there are say a dozen S-7s near me and it works great..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
Thanks for the update
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Similar to my other thread about our off grid setup I wanted to circle back on what we did. Ended up calling and re-negotiating our ATT contract and we have WIFI hotspots on our phones now in addition to in my Chevy 2500. It actually ended up saving us money to go this route. I'm able to work at our hunting camp now which is great. Thanks for all the input.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
My smart phone works great as a hot spot. In fact, it is my only internet whether at home or on the road. As long as there is a cell signal which is 85% of the time. It just cost me $10 or $15 more than the basic plan to be on a plan which enables using it as a hotspot. Of course the phone by itself provides internet or works well with my laptop.
Jayco-noslide

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
T18skyguy wrote:
I have T mobile and just had them enable hot spot on my phone. Fifteen dollars per month for 100 Gig with tethering. Works beautifully. I took a big trip this month and visited 4 different parks and used the phone hotspot over their crummy wifi at 3 of the 4 parks. It is just as fast as home and a good value.

Same here. Though today I'm in a park where T-Mobile don't work (3 miles away it's solid) but park Wi-FI.. Solid. so Here I am

I have kind of an advanced wi-fi system in my RV I can choose my phone's hotspot. re-route it to everything on board. or park wi-fi and the park wi-fi need not be all that close.. Open land/water they claim the adapter can see 4 miles. Don't believe it but here to the Family center no tribble at all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We have unlimited (no throttling) hotspot 4G data plans with AT&T and Verizon. The AT&T plan is the currently not offered $20/mo Mobley/Connected Car Plan with the SIM transplanted to a Netgear Unite Explore hotspot, and the Verizon plan is their just discontinued but grandfathered prepaid $65/mo (w/autopay) Jetpack plan. Since we stream a lot of TV programming, we often use 100-150 GB per month. We have not found anywhere yet where one or the other did not give us a good signal, and often both.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MrWizard
The AT&T Mobley plan is no longer available
Verizon closed the $65 unlimited hotspot plan on 21st two days ago

The Tmobile 100gig on the phone might be the best thing available right now
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I have both the FMCA and Mobley plans.... just curious if they are still available?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
AT&T Mobley with Connected Car option. Moved the SIM card to a Netgear router. $20/month for truly unlimited data. I have used over 60 GB so far today while setting up a new computer and using One Drive to copy files from old computer to new computer.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
FMCA Verizon "unlimited" plan for $50 a month. They sell you hotspot for a penny. If you go above 25 gig in a month, they throttle. On the road, I run out the FMCA data and then hit my Verizon wireless plan using the tablet as a hotspot.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox