cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drinking Campground Water...

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and are are arguing about making coffee with campground water.
I've always used a water filter on our White Hose, but my wife has never tasted campground water, she buys gallons of water.

The water in question is at Desoto State Park. (Alabama)
I've drank the water, both filtered and unfiltered.
I can't tell the difference. Taste like the water at our home.
Far as I know they have never had a problem with their water.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I'd like to know how the forum feels about general campground water.
Do you buy gallons of water for coffee, or use what comes out of the faucet?
109 REPLIES 109

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never drink from the RV water tank, but drink from lots of other places.
My mother grew up hauling water from the neighbor's well in Washington State on a berry farm. In high school they moved to town. They had water, but she got up early when there was company to light the wood stove so there would be hot water.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
This thread is starting to make me wonder about RVers as a group.

For contrast, consider a canoe trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesotta. We drank out of the lakes, just put a cup over the side.
Love the boundary waters. It's a beautiful area that limits the number of visitors by permits. Up in Sioux Lookout Canada there is a spring coming out of a pipe in the ground. People have been getting water from this spring for decades, myself included. My grandmother did not have running water in her house, she got all her water from this spring across the street. She passed in the early 70's when she was in her 90's. The city does have a sign now warning people this is not part of the towns water supply. I joked with my friends kid that we were going to fill our water jugs in the ditch for camp. You should have seen the look on her face, priceless.

I also agree with toedtoes that sometimes it's a issue of taste or smell, not potable water. Some area's the water taste and smells like sulfer.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We use campground water unfiltered, never had an issue. In Kansas campgrounds, public and private, are required to test the water prior to allowing campers to consume it.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only drink water from the RV fresh water tank. In years and years of full time and part time travel, we have never had the runs.....

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Always bring our own filtered water from home. In 14 years we have never had the runs......
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread is starting to make me wonder about RVers as a group.

For contrast, consider a canoe trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesotta. We drank out of the lakes, just put a cup over the side.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
There is TASTE.
And then there is POTABILITY.
Most water out there is potable. How it tastes will differ and some folks will hate the differences and some won't notice.
If taste matters, keep a supply of "tasty" water in your RV for those places that have "icky tasting" water. If a place has "tasty" water, then drink it.
Don't worry about the rest.

Now any and everyone has something they think the world needs to hearโ€ฆ
Let's not just start typing whatever comes to mind. The forum is useful to share ideas from those who have knowledge beyond the knee-jerk thoughts that might seem clever at the time. Please do not post silly things except for on the silly forum. There is an RV Net area for being silly and wasting everyone's time having to sort through the mess.

Though RV Net does not have a Silly Forum, this is close
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/64.cfm

The thing that's silly about that forum is anything one posts there seems to get deleted. That's the reason its dead. Over moderation.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
OleManOleCan wrote:

I'd like to know how the forum feels about general campground water.
Do you buy gallons of water for coffee, or use what comes out of the faucet?

It doesn't matter how the forum members feel about CG water.
Your wife wants bottled water. Buy her the water. You're not going to win this one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

FWIW. I can drink CG water. My DW wants bottled water. So I carry a couple cases of water.
I do recycle my plastic and we quit using plastic straws.

I agree with this. My wife prefers bottles so we usually take a couple 1.5 gallon jugs to refill Nalgene or Hydroflask type bottles. We use campground water or water from our tank for coffee and cooking.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope you are being funny...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
There is TASTE.
And then there is POTABILITY.
Most water out there is potable. How it tastes will differ and some folks will hate the differences and some won't notice.
If taste matters, keep a supply of "tasty" water in your RV for those places that have "icky tasting" water. If a place has "tasty" water, then drink it.
Don't worry about the rest.

Now any and everyone has something they think the world needs to hearโ€ฆ
Let's not just start typing whatever comes to mind. The forum is useful to share ideas from those who have knowledge beyond the knee-jerk thoughts that might seem clever at the time. Please do not post silly things except for on the silly forum. There is an RV Net area for being silly and wasting everyone's time having to sort through the mess.

Though RV Net does not have a Silly Forum, this is close
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/64.cfm

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
hasn't killed me yet
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

Contaminates in water being absorbed through the skin? Come on, that's hypochondriac level stuff there.

Just think of what you're absorbing with soaps, body wash, shampoo etc. Did you ever see the list of what is in that stuff? Your farts should smell like Irish Spring or Lavender Rosemary after you take a shower.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Omfg. As if this couldnโ€™t get any more fickle.
Aerosol contaminants coming out of the campground water youโ€™re showering with?
Gotta ask. Do you even camp bro? Lol

x2

shh don't tell them about all the "chemicals" used in the production of the RV they're living in every day.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I must be extremely lucky. I've swam and likely ingested water from PFAS contaminated lakes and rivers all over Michigan for decades and spent a lot of time in public pools as a youth.

Contaminates in water being absorbed through the skin? Come on, that's hypochondriac level stuff there. Only if already sick / immune-compromised does extra protection make any sense.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed