cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does anyone use a Toad-Charge?

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owner of my RV towed a car, under the hood of my E450 is a 2-wire heavy gauge wire that goes into a "Toad Charge" 15amp circuit breaker which then goes to the back of the coach. Unfortunately the previous owner didn't leave the toad part. I've never heard of this brand, they still operate a website though
Proud father of a US Marine
10 REPLIES 10

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Homeless by Choice wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
What those both (Toad Charge and Towed Battery Charger) appear to be is a 10 amp DC-DC battery charger, where the built in charger controller will step-up the available voltage from the towing vehicle (drawing more amperage in the process) to a voltage that will do a much better job of charging the battery in the towed vehicle.

If these units are any good, the charge controller should be at least a three-stage charger (bulk, absorption, and float).

If thatโ€™s what they do, then they would provide better battery charging than simply connecting the towed vehicleโ€™s battery to the towing vehicleโ€™s battery.

:):)

I agree 100% IF THAT IS HOW THEY WORK but I doubt it since that don't advertise/brag about it.

LeRoy

I was having a hard time getting much technical info out of their websites as well. Kinda skimpy on details.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
What those both (Toad Charge and Towed Battery Charger) appear to be is a 10 amp DC-DC battery charger, where the built in charger controller will step-up the available voltage from the towing vehicle (drawing more amperage in the process) to a voltage that will do a much better job of charging the battery in the towed vehicle.

If these units are any good, the charge controller should be at least a three-stage charger (bulk, absorption, and float).

If thatโ€™s what they do, then they would provide better battery charging than simply connecting the towed vehicleโ€™s battery to the towing vehicleโ€™s battery.

I agree 100% IF THAT IS HOW THEY WORK but I doubt it since that don't advertise/brag about it.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
My '03 E450 has a fused and relay controlled charge line that's OEM.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose the simple answer is I donโ€™t know enough about electricity and batteries to do it that way. The toad charge provided me with the components and instructions to establish a charging system that has served me for several years now.

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
I use one. What is your question?

What is the advantage of using the Toad-Charge instead of just connecting directly to the main engine battery using an inline fuse and an auto disconnect switch (100 amp fuse and a NO relay powered by the ACC key position which only closes the connection when the main engine is running)?

What I just described is what I have been using since 1985 to recharge my trailer and camper batteries while driving. So my question is "Why go thru that additional high cost Toad-Charge?

Thank you,
LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
I use one. What is your question?

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
most motorhomes already have a 7 pin connector installed in the back intended to charge a house trailer, just use the B+ from that to the toad through a 10amp circuit breaker on the toad

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
This is the website
Clicky
Proud father of a US Marine

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Is this what you're referring to? Its from RVi.