Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yamaha EF3000iSE neutral bonding issue - Solved

HouseApe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a bit of a head scratcher.

I have a Progressive Industries HW50C and have made my own neutral bonding plug.
I’ve use that plug with my old Yamaha EF2400iS (2007 USA model) generator without issues or codes on the PI unit.

Got a new to me EF3000iSE (2015 Canadian model) with low hours. It runs perfectly fine. However I keep getting code E2 Open Ground on my PI unit.
Knowing that the 30 twist lock on the generator was a bit loose I summerize this was the issue.

After paying big $$$ on a genuine Yamaha 15 amp and 30 amp replacement receptacles the issue is still the same.

I know I can just put the PI into bypass. It’s readings 123 Volts @ 60 HZ with the E2 error.

I’ve double checked my bonding plug and did a continuity test on the 15 & 30 amp grounds and checked them against the ground stud. They are all connected.

So why can’t I bond the neutral with my plug like my old (and now sold) EF2400iS?
2014 Ram 3500 Megacab Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins
2017 Open Range Roamer 310BHS
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Meters test at very very very low current... Practice is much higher current.

NOTE: I had many electrical issues back when this rig was new.. Same problem
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

HouseApe
Explorer
Explorer
Its fixed!

Turns out that my bonding plug sold copper wire had skinned over and was not passing the voltage as it should. I simply cleaned the wire and got a good torque on the screws inside the plug.

Crazy thing is it did pass a continuity test with my meter before I took it apart and the only reason i took it apart was to use it in the socket to measure voltage and polarity when the generator was running.

HouseApe
Explorer
Explorer
I put a call into PI. Waiting for a callback. Got home and double checked the neutrals and hots are all correct as per NEMA assignment. Also the 15 amp and the 30 amp are connected to each other.

So not sure why it don’t work!

HouseApe
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
What happens if you DO NOT use the bonding plug?

What error codes if any does your PI show then??

Same code E2. I don’t get it. All the grounds are connected to the same point. And the neutrals are also connected. So the bonding plug should work!

Only thing I can think of is noise in the waveform? I don’t have a scope handy so I’m just guessing.

TheHound
Explorer
Explorer
Following as I am dealing with something similar over here on the other side of the country lol I have an Energizer EZVP3200P

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29863132/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
What happens if you DO NOT use the bonding plug?

What error codes if any does your PI show then??
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

HouseApe
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
I'm wondering if maybe the inverter output line that's connected to the neutral lug of the 15 amp outlet might be connected to the hot lug of the twist lock outlet? With an unbonded output, it really doesn't matter which inverter output line is connected to which outlet lug. Easy enough to ohm it out with the generator not running.

I did try using both 15 amp outlets with my 15 to 50 amp adapter in the top and the bonding plug in the bottom. This is why I’m not sure what is going on and scratching my head.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm wondering if maybe the inverter output line that's connected to the neutral lug of the 15 amp outlet might be connected to the hot lug of the twist lock outlet? With an unbonded output, it really doesn't matter which inverter output line is connected to which outlet lug. Easy enough to ohm it out with the generator not running.
2009 Fleetwood Icon