cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F350 def alarm

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 2016 f350. I would like to know if anyone has found a mod to add a chime to the def filter cleaning warning that comes up on our display. The small orange display that pops up for a few seconds is easy to miss so I hope to add an alarm/chime so it catches my attention. Thanks everyone.
10 REPLIES 10

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
NRALIFR wrote:
naturist wrote:
..........This isnโ€™t anything worth your attention .........

I politely disagree. Knowing how often your DPF is cleaned will at least keep you from making unbelievable statements like โ€œIโ€™ve driven my (whatever brand) Diesel for over 20,000 miles and it has NEVER cleaned!โ€ :W

:):)

Ya got me there.

My BMW X5 diesel does a regeneration about every 500 miles, which I know only because Iโ€™ve added instrumentation to watch exhaust gas temperatures. In normal use, they run in the neighborhood of 300 degrees C. When they suddenly shoot up over 500 degrees, itโ€™s due to a dpf regeneration. BMW provides no little light or other marker. Itโ€™s supposed to be totally invisible to the owner/driver, because after all itโ€™s supposed to be something you donโ€™t need to worry your little head about. All anti-pollution measures are required to be totally invisible to owner/operators. The DEF system is the only one allowed to violate that, and only because it was shown to be so effective. And only then after a huge fight.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Scan Gauge II and I programed it to show regen, that is the only way I know its in regen and when its done. I also have it show exhaust temp on the first sensor and it is interesting seeing it hit 1100 degrees sometimes.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d need to see some actual ECM log data to believe that.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
naturist wrote:

I politely disagree. Knowing how often your DPF is cleaned will at least keep you from making unbelievable statements like โ€œIโ€™ve driven my (whatever brand) Diesel for over 20,000 miles and it has NEVER cleaned!โ€ :W

I have driven my RAM 54K miles and only once after the fact figured out that it had been in regen.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got the % full DPF display on mine and find the DPF cleans every 500 miles. When the 500 miles is up the filter will be only from 20 to 40% full if the previous clean was allowed to finish. If the truck gets shut off before cleaning is done it might reach 80% full next time the 500 miles is up. I think the reason the % full display is not provided from the factory is that it's not worth driving extra miles to finish a cleaning cycle.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Check on the Ford Enthusiast forum site. I see there is a way you can add a percentage display for the DPF in a program called Forscan. Forscan is a software that is available on for your phone than interfaces the truck via certain OBD modules. I have no experience with it but it's out there.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct guys, I did mean dpf, sorry about that. Thank you for the replies.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Iโ€™ve never heard of a vehicle that has a def filter, so I, too, suspect you mean the dpf, ie the diesel particulate filter. This isnโ€™t anything worth your attention and the fact thereโ€™s even a light that blinks momentarily is more notice than most vehicles give you.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe you mean dpf. I don't know of any audible alarm but you can take your truck to the Ford dealer and have the add the dpf status scream that shows you a percent full status of your dpf and this way you can predict when a regen will occur.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"