cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue Ridge Parkway

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a campground close to the Blue Ridge Parkway for our 40 foot class A motorhome around the middle of May for a week to 10 days. The parkway is over 450 miles long. Don't really want to be too far off the beaten path. We want to ride the parkway end to end on our Harley trike. We don't really care whether we are in the middle, south or north end. Planning to spend a couple nights away from the motorhome so we don't need a place with a lot of amenities but would like somewhere safe with 50 amp and water.

Does anyone have a place they would recommend?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
32 REPLIES 32

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farmboy666 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
huachuca wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:
........... Better choices, Hwy 209 to Hotsprings, Hwy 226A to Spruce Pine, Hwy 80 Marion to Micaville to name a few.

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll add Hwy 209 to my list; Have driven the other two and totally agree on their scenic value and the difference in traffic, drivers and attitudes when compared to The Dragon. Still, its a lot of fun in a 2.0L turbo Solstice even when staying in my lane and around the speed limit. Too busy watching the road to check out the scenery.

Just to be clear. Do NOT try to tow a large TT, or 5er from Marion UP, or DOWN Highway 80. MH either for that matter. there is even a big sign that says DON'T do it. It's OK once you pass under the BRP going up, but getting there is not a easy thing

Hwy 80 and 209 where about MC riding.

Understand. Just a caution, incase they wanted to camp in Marion, and tried to get there on 80
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
huachuca wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:
........... Better choices, Hwy 209 to Hotsprings, Hwy 226A to Spruce Pine, Hwy 80 Marion to Micaville to name a few.

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll add Hwy 209 to my list; Have driven the other two and totally agree on their scenic value and the difference in traffic, drivers and attitudes when compared to The Dragon. Still, its a lot of fun in a 2.0L turbo Solstice even when staying in my lane and around the speed limit. Too busy watching the road to check out the scenery.

Just to be clear. Do NOT try to tow a large TT, or 5er from Marion UP, or DOWN Highway 80. MH either for that matter. there is even a big sign that says DON'T do it. It's OK once you pass under the BRP going up, but getting there is not a easy thing

Hwy 80 and 209 where about MC riding.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
huachuca wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy666 wrote:

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:
huachuca wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:
Stay as far away as possible from Tale of the Dragon. It's a nightmare, plenty of better roads for riding.

I guess we all have our own definition of 'better'.:B

One camping possibility I overlooked which may be of interest is Lake Powhatan. Convenient access to the BRP near Asheville and it does have some full hookup sites.

My definition of 'better' would be scenic and more interesting roads that have less people and less traffic doing stupid things like trying to get a selfie on the famous Tale of the Dragon that sometimes get others killed which is based on 35 yrs of riding in western NC. Search the Youtube videos if you need conformation. Better choices, Hwy 209 to Hotsprings, Hwy 226A to Spruce Pine, Hwy 80 Marion to Micaville to name a few.

Tail of the Dragon

:W

Sorry I thought it was a story about a dragon

dedmiston
Farmboy666 wrote:
huachuca wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:
Stay as far away as possible from Tale of the Dragon. It's a nightmare, plenty of better roads for riding.

One camping possibility I overlooked which may be of interest is Lake Powhatan. Convenient access to the BRP near Asheville and it does have some full hookup sites.

My definition of 'better' would be scenic and more interesting roads that have less people and less traffic doing stupid things like trying to get a selfie on the famous Tale of the Dragon that sometimes get others killed which is based on 35 yrs of riding in western NC. Search the Youtube videos if you need conformation. Better choices, Hwy 209 to Hotsprings, Hwy 226A to Spruce Pine, Hwy 80 Marion to Micaville to name a few.

Tail of the Dragon

:W

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
huachuca wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy666 wrote:

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Original poster here - thanks for all the replies. Will take a look at all of them. We have done portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway already. Have also ridden the Tail of the Dragon and some other routes near Hendersonville, NC and the Chimney Rock area. Loved Mount Mitchell. That is why we are looking at going back and doing more of the parkway.

Typically when I am looking for a campground it is within about a 50 mile area. This trip is a little different just due to the overall length of the area we want to see and since we want to see it all, it is a much larger area to search. Also throw in that we will be leaving the coach for a couple nights, you can see why I want to be sure that we pick a good safe place that is still convenient. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
einy wrote:
x3 on mama gerties

Loved or stay

pretty sure this was the same site we had last summer.... huge thumbs up. steep climb to the top but campground roads are paved and can handle big rigs

einy
Explorer
Explorer
x3 on mama gerties

Loved or stay

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
huachuca wrote:
Less than an hour's drive from the southern end of the BRP, the Cherohala Skyway runs from Robbinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN and the scenery is, in our opinion, just as good as that on the Parkway. Combine that 40 miles with the 10 mile Tail of the Dragon for a great day of riding the trike. On the eastern end of the Skyway, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is a nice stop with a short hike to the 'big trees'. In TN, take a side trip to Bald River Falls (visible from the road).

Cherohala Skyway

Tail of the Dragon

Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Bald River Falls

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Less than an hour's drive from the southern end of the BRP, the Cherohala Skyway runs from Robbinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN and the scenery is, in our opinion, just as good as that on the Parkway. Combine that 40 miles with the 10 mile Tail of the Dragon for a great day of riding the trike. On the eastern end of the Skyway, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is a nice stop with a short hike to the 'big trees'. In TN, take a side trip to Bald River Falls (visible from the road).

Cherohala Skyway

Tail of the Dragon

Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Bald River Falls

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
bucky wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
bucky wrote:
The KOA in Luray VA is in a beautiful setting. Worth a look.
Just to split hairs, Luray is not on (or near) the BRP, it's off Skyline Dr.,
Approx. 85 mi from the North entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway at I-64.

Good catch, sorry. The Skyline Drive is only the section thru the Shenandoah National Park in VA.
True, but if you want to do the entire length of BRP, doing Skyline Dr. is just another 105 mi., with better views from the overlooks, at least better than the Northern part of BRP, many of the Northern overlooks on BRP have grown up so much that you pull into the turnout & look at trees.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund