cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone/Tetons Big Site Campgrounds

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a Yellowstone/Teton trip for 2020. I will be towing a 38' 5th wheel w/ long bed dully and traveling buds have a 43' class A motorhome. We get confusing info as to which campgrounds will accommodate our rigs. Which YS/T campgrounds will handle our size rigs? Which commercial campgrounds would you recommend if we have to stay outside the parks?
'01 Ford F350-7.3l PS Diesel, Lariet, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dully,
BTS transmission, Air bag suspension, exhaust brake, post gauges,
performance chip, 4" exhaust, remote start
'11 5th Wheel 38'Forest River Cardinal
'15 RZR 900 50" Trail, S x S
23 REPLIES 23

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
retispcsi wrote:
Did Yellowstone and Tetons this past summer. Grizzly for Yellowstone. Nice park just remember you need time to drive to different locations in the park. Fishing bridge is closed for remodel. Colter Bay RV park has full hook ups and big rip space. Plus you can just walk down the slope and sit on a beach at the lake and look at those mountains at sun up and sunset.

And watch your back for bears! We seen many in the 3 dats we were there. Both in the campground and down by the beach and peninsula!

Loved it there!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Did Yellowstone and Tetons this past summer. Grizzly for Yellowstone. Nice park just remember you need time to drive to different locations in the park. Fishing bridge is closed for remodel. Colter Bay RV park has full hook ups and big rip space. Plus you can just walk down the slope and sit on a beach at the lake and look at those mountains at sun up and sunset.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

greyhook
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Fishing Bridge last summer. The folks who run it (Xanterra) told us there will be fewer spots but they will be larger. I think the current length limit is 40ft. We were told the CG will be reconfigured to accommodate the influx of larger rigs.

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
In Jackson at the south entrance of the Teton park is The Virginian Lodge RV Resort. They are in town and our 36โ€™ with a car caddy fit with no problem. We were there mid September and the park was much less crowded than in the summer. RV park reviews is correct in that they are expensive but for a couple of nights on the way to Yellowstone on a one time only trip there was little choice. I bumped into Lucy the local doe and her fawn in the dark one night on the way back from the trash bin. Scared the **** out of me as they turned and scrambled away. Glad it wasnโ€™t a bear.

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Fishing Bridge can accomodate some over 40 MHs,we had one next to us last year. We like FB because of the central location. In the Tetons we like Gros Ventre because of the size,trees, animals, and location. There are a few (about 35) sites with electric hook-ups, first come first serve. GV hardly ever fills up.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I hope so! When I reserved for our 35ft trailer I reserved a 40ft site. I would love to see them get a 40ft trailer into that site. My coupler was just slightly into the road and the rear was into the tree in the site behind me!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if they might be adding any larger, >40' sites during the Fishing Bridge reno?

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is from the Yellowstone NP road construction website for 2019.
2019 Construction
Canyon Village Area

2019 season: some destinations unavailable as part of the Canyon Overlooks and Trails Restoration Project.
Fishing Bridge to Indian Pond (East Entrance Road)

2019 season: expect 30-minute delays along the East Entrance Road between Fishing Bridge and Indian Pond (excluding holidays*).
Norris to Mammoth

2019 season: expect 30-minute delays between Roaring Mountain and Apollinaris Spring (excluding holidays*).
*Holidays include Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I thought just the RV park was being closed for renovations. I might be wrong but I have not heard about bridge replacement.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just a question here. With fishing bridge closed and the bridge being replaced how do you get into Yellowstone from the east?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is Yellowstone Valley Cabins & RV Park which is about half way between Cody and the park. We found it to be a good place to stay.

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
Any places near the East entrance?

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, with Fishing Bridge Campground closed for all of 2019, it's going to be even tougher to get a "big rig" spot for a while!!

This may be helpful.

West YS RV park info

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoBoy wrote:
wildbyon wrote:
Thanks for all the Teton info. How about Yellowstone?

Grizzly RV Park in the Town of West Yellowstone.

Make reservations well ahead of time. We tried to get in last mid September and they had no consecutive nights available. We would have had to move each day to stay there 4 nights.