cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Zoo Atlanta

EagleScout-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Good day. We would like to visit the Atlanta Zoo as we pass through the area in April with our RV in tow. We called the Zoo today, and they told us that there is an area for bus parking, but it is not permissible for RVs to use that lot. The suggestion was that we seek on-street parking; however, those of us who tow regularly know that taking a chance on navigating a residential neighborhood is challenging enough, but trying to find some type of on-street parking would be impossible. I am also thinking of low-hanging tree branches and other challenges. Has anyone visited the Zoo in Atlanta with an RV in tow? My family would be most grateful if you could please share with us what you did about parking.
6 REPLIES 6

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't take the chance of trying to navigate and park the rig anywhere near the zoo. I think that's a horrific idea. I agree with the idea of picking a campground somewhere else and commuting. We went to the aquarium a few years back and since we were traveling from the south, we stayed at High Falls State Park and just drove the truck into town. I think it took 45 minutes or so.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade probably has the best suggestion. Spend a night in the area, and drive your tow vehicle to Zoo. Stone Mountain if you want to be super close, otherwise somewhere north or south of the perimeter would likely not be too far out of the way.

Consider hitting the GA aquarium while you are in the area. One of the best in the nation.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I'd be very tempted to find a nearby Walmart and take an Uber to the zoo.

Based on MANY visits to the area and casual observation......I STRONGLY suspect that WalMart in the Atlanta metro area is not "RV friendly" like they are in some places.

Be sure to ASK before you park at WalMart......or anyplace for that matter. The charges for recovering a towed RV likely would break your budget.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
We did Atlanta zoo last year, but not with RV. I would not dare try it, I remember it being a pretty tight residential area. We parked on the street street with our van, even that was not very easy.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be very tempted to find a nearby Walmart and take an Uber to the zoo.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
You are totally justified in being careful about this.

I suggest that you stay at the Stone Mountain campground at least one day and drive your tow vehicle to the zoo.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"