Washington Post Story

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
15 REPLIES 15

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
I am saddened but not too surprised by the negative response here to what is really a positive and well balanced article and some of the comments about full timers.

A few points are in order I think:

Wikipedia is not accepted as a source for anything by any college or university in the US that I know of. Better the Oxford Dictionary of American English.

Some of the posts seem to belie the authors as being threatened by those of us who can full-time and be perfectly happy about it. There is a whiff of superiority adrift here.

If any of you have been around this country to any extent you could not help but notice the surge in people living full time in RV's and working normal jobs and staying in one place. At the cost of housing in some areas this seems to be a reasonable alternative to me. This is just RV's as alternative housing.

There are also a cohort of those who travel and live in their RV's full time and do "Temp" or distance work from a permanent employer or are self employed. (I know people who do this from their boats also) This is their choice and if it works for them what business is it of others to criticize?

Then there are the just "Full Timers" who follow some pattern of travel around the country, do not work and are able to support themselves just fine.

I think some posters here are just threatened by those who don't share their view of what is the "correct" way to live their lives.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Do you people have nothing else to do?

Nope! It's winter and everyone's campers are closed up! Nothing else to do right now.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Do you people have nothing else to do?
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Nice little fluff piece as a counter to recent articles painting fulltimers as bums living at Walmart and along the streets.
-jbh-

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I think the key point is that 'nomads' don't wander freely, they follow herds because they depend on the herd animals to provide food and hides.

How many people here follow a herd of buffalo around?

We're 'vagabonds' or 'wanderers', not 'nomads'.:)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, maybe my terminology is wrong, but are all of the homeless people living in junk RV's still considered as Nomads?

From Wikipedia. I think according to this definition, anyone who travels in an RV is a "nomad".

----
A nomad is a person with no settled home, moving from place to place as a way of obtaining food, finding pasture for livestock, or otherwise making a living. The word Nomad comes from a Greek word that means one who wanders for pasture. Most nomadic groups follow a fixed annual or seasonal pattern of movements and settlements. Nomadic peoples traditionally travel by animal or canoe or on foot. Today, some nomads travel by motor vehicle. Most nomads live in tents or other portable shelters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomad

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
And since I only rode motorcycles for fun, does that mean motorcycles are recreational vehicles?

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, maybe my terminology is wrong, but are all of the homeless people living in junk RV's still considered as Nomads?
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are what I call long trippers. About 5 months a year.
Met many living fulltime. Most with professions paying good money such as heavy equipment operations medical people people setting up new stores plus seasonal jobs. Can't see doing it with children or traveling with a dog.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Just my opinion but once someone starts living in an RV fulltime then it ceases being an RV and becomes a primary residence.

If someone lives fulltime on a boat is it no longer a boat :@

If the RV never moves (and can no longer do so) is it still a vehicle? :h

If you live in the same RV, that doesnโ€™t move , and you go to work every day is it recreational living? :@

Regardless there are lots of people who live in these things..
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Just my opinion but once someone starts living in an RV fulltime then it ceases being an RV and becomes a primary residence.

If someone lives fulltime on a boat is it no longer a boat :@

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Nice article, but we ALL know, even those of us who are not "full timers", meaning we still have a stick-and-brick house somewhere, know there is more to "it" than what the article indicates. It's not all sunshine. I do think the article correctly emphasized it takes WORK to make the lifestyle enjoyable (and that is so true!)

ktjensen
Explorer
Explorer
you need to have a DOMICILE state/county/town for tax/registration reasons and voting. Primary residence will mean nothing