cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bully Dog Rip Off!

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
The computer on my 07' dodge ram diesel dually took a dump ($5000+ thank you Chrysler stealership!!) and when I went to re-install the bully triple dog e3 program back into the new computer it wouldn't
t load. I called bully dog up and the tech told me that the loader was married to the computer that had failed and it was now a $500+ paperweight however they were kind enough to offer me a $40 discount on the new model they replaced mine with! I think this is total bunk, I bought that programmer when I bought the truck, used it once and it sat in its case since and they should be able to unlock it in the event that the vehicles computer fails but as it was explained to me (in a rather condescending tone) that this is how they protect themselves from owner's sharing their programmers and costing them customers! Well that has failed as I'll never buy another of their products again nor will I refer them to anyone!

Red Green: There's only two things that excite
a man, expensive toys and real expensive toys.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...
30 REPLIES 30

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MPI_Mallard wrote:
Again I appreciate all the opinions and help from you guys, I'm going to give them a call, perhaps I just got a pissy employee that day! Your right about the cost of the pcm opposed to the tuner but these days with money being what it is I like to get my value from what I buy and a single use fro that tool seemed kinda' lousy
!

Hope you'll come back and let us know how it goes.

Just a different perspective, but if you think about it, you got years of use from that tool. The tune it installed was used daily.. that's what you're really paying for. The tool is just the mechanism for you to implement their tune.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
When I bought my truck used 4 yrs ago, it had a Bully Dog programmer on it. I don't remember all the details now, but I removed it and with the help of Bully Dog tech support, got my truck ECM back to stock, plus the Bully Dog tuner reset, and sold it on ebay for almost $500. From reading this thread, guess I was very fortunate ...

Not applicable. The OP no longer hase the computer. Ideally they would have done exactly the same you you did. Not fortunate, that is the way it is supposed to work.

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Again I appreciate all the opinions and help from you guys, I'm going to give them a call, perhaps I just got a pissy employee that day! Your right about the cost of the pcm opposed to the tuner but these days with money being what it is I like to get my value from what I buy and a single use fro that tool seemed kinda' lousy
!
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
If I have to, I guess...

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my truck used 4 yrs ago, it had a Bully Dog programmer on it. I don't remember all the details now, but I removed it and with the help of Bully Dog tech support, got my truck ECM back to stock, plus the Bully Dog tuner reset, and sold it on ebay for almost $500. From reading this thread, guess I was very fortunate ...

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
As stated above, the invoice from your dealer should get you the reset code for free or limited cost. I know Diablo does it for free.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
MPI_Mallard wrote:
I unfortunately I'm at the mercy of the dealership!

You're never at the mercy of the stealer. There's good mechanics around.

Would a computer from a pick and pull been an option?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
MPI_Mallard wrote:
I unfortunately I'm at the mercy of the dealership!

You're never at the mercy of the stealer. There's good mechanics around.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I would call Bully Dog again and ask for a manager and explain the situation. It's entirely possible you got someone the first time who doesn't quite know what they can do. You may also find that the manager can explain the situation better if the unit is out-dated or some other reason it can't be unmarried from the original PCM. I have never dealt with them in particular, but every other one I've dealt with (mostly SCT) they can un-marry the tuner for a nominal fee. It wouldn't hurt to call again and get clarification. On another note, I hope you don't take this as being snarky but I would be a lot more pissed at paying 5K for a new PCM than the pennies in comparison to the tuner.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
MPI_Mallard wrote:
I appreciate all the responses and opinions and it should be known that I'm not a gear-head and unfortunately I'm at the mercy of the dealership! This whole ordeal from the get-go has been horrible, we had to return the truck to the dealership three times for them to get things fixed only to arrive in Florida with a check engine light/AC compressor crapping out but as they say "we flew, we jumped , we lived" but as far as the bully dog is concerned I just felt only being able to use it once was ****, I wasn't expecting anything new and was fine with the program it originally had but the snotty attitude of the kid at bull dog who by the way didn't even mention that I could have gotten it re-opened for a price really put a sour note on that company and I will find another one to replace them!

Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em
into a quart of vodka.

Make sure you have the engine clutch fan checked. 1 of the biggest causes of the A/C pump to blow on you model truck. The computer controls the high side pressure with the engine cooling fan. It will not shut the compressor down because of high pressure, only low pressure. :W
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Honestly, I'd take another stab at getting your tuner unlocked again. Bully dog can have a bad employee just like anyone.
If you want to name drop, the tech tat helped me a couple times when my tuner had issues was Chris...maybe it'll help.
Otherwise you could probably pick up a used Smarty Jr for a few hundred. Make sure it's not vin locked. IE, make the seller wait until you load it before getting his benjammins.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the responses and opinions and it should be known that I'm not a gear-head and unfortunately I'm at the mercy of the dealership! This whole ordeal from the get-go has been horrible, we had to return the truck to the dealership three times for them to get things fixed only to arrive in Florida with a check engine light/AC compressor crapping out but as they say "we flew, we jumped , we lived" but as far as the bully dog is concerned I just felt only being able to use it once was ****, I wasn't expecting anything new and was fine with the program it originally had but the snotty attitude of the kid at bull dog who by the way didn't even mention that I could have gotten it re-opened for a price really put a sour note on that company and I will find another one to replace them!

Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em
into a quart of vodka.
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
If I have to, I guess...

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
Chances are the tuner is no longer legal as the emmision laws are being enforced and tuner manufactures are fined.

I don't think any of the tuners were certified for on-road use.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chances are the tuner is no longer legal as the emmision laws are being enforced and tuner manufactures are fined.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
The tune on my Eco is from Green Diesel Engineering and if an update is needed it costs me $50 or if the ECM were to take a dump it is still $50 if I provide the ECM or $650 if they provide the ECM.

Not sure how you got charged $5000+ for an ECM at the dealership though! I think I would call around to some other dealers and find out what they charge and go back and ask them why they over charged you. You can buy a brand new programmed ECM for $1400 all day long and a used one for $250. What else did they do to the truck to rack up a $5K+ bill?

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.