cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wow is my truck fast. I bought it used so not bragging.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I almost never getting to drive my truck without the TC on it.

Today, after safely arriving in Florida from a 1600 mile trip with a TC and a 12' trailer full of stuff on the truck, I finally got to drive it by itself.

It's got a straight pipe, Edge performance computer, plus all the mods for the weight.

So I thought I'd see what it can do. I was going hard. I can spin the tires a bit in almost every gear. And that's not popping the clutch. That's proper shifting with no torque applied until my foot is off the clutch pedal. Then press the accelerator and the tires lose grip a little in every gear but 6th, as it pushes you back in the seat. . Around 1800+ RPMs it feels like the power band of a dirt bike.

I was going 80 with everyone on the highway today and let it creep up to 90. Then I floored it. It STILL pushed me back in my seat.

Way too squirrely to push any harder than that without the TC on the back. Suspension and wheels and tires way too stiff and bouncy for it to be safe to push it any faster.

I assume some of you with modded diesel trucks can relate.

This thing is WAY more powerful than my first car was. A Mustang 5.0 Gt.

Iโ€™m astounded the difference the diesel torque makes when you use it for speed.

Before anyone yells at me, I'm done being a maniac. Just wanted to see what she can do. Cruised comfortably at 75 with TC and 12' trailer for 1600 miles. Cruises comfortably at 80 all day long with the TC. Empty, it's a freaking* rocketship. Unbelievable acceleration.

Just felt like sharing in case others have modded trucks.
28 REPLIES 28

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
All you hotshots are a reason I never buy used or modded vehicles

:W

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trailer tires are designed mostly for 65 mph.
Towing fast is definitely possible but a bad idea.
I would not even mention how I feel about going 110 with a camper.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
When it comes to freeway driving with a camper and/or trailer I like to get behind a big-truck thatโ€™s cruising at a good rate. I know heโ€™s not gonna do a panic stop I canโ€™t match and heโ€™s gonna take out whatever jumps in the way.
It also discourages most of the jerks that cut directly in front of me, because they donโ€™t want to be behind the big truck.
The big secret is a lot of later model big trucks come with HUGE power and they roll right along nicely.
When Iโ€™m hauling horses in a Peterbilt long-hood and 51 foot trailer, I set the cruise control at about 62 and that Caterpillar C15 keeps it there.

Iโ€™m an old hot rodder. That means Iโ€™ve got even faster stuff than I had as a kid but now I drive it responsibly.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

_squish
Explorer
Explorer
We drive a 2000 F350 4x4 with a 7.3 and a manual transmission. And SRW
My pops he has a 2000 F350 dually 2x4 with the triton v10 and the slush box.

Both trucks bone stock, and my PSD is slow off the line but it can climb a vertical wall.
His is a rocketship compared to our truck.

And our truck drives nearly the same performance wise with or without the big foot in it.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
It's rare that I drive my truck empty as well.... but when I do, it blows me away the power it has. Camper is off right now and I made a few dumps runs with it. YEEHAW. I mashed the skinny pedal pulling out on to the highway and watched the boost PSI go up to 28. Not bad for a stock truck.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Modding diesels is intoxicating, not cheap though!
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
HadEnough wrote:
I almost never getting to drive my truck without the TC on it.

Today, after safely arriving in Florida from a 1600 mile trip with a TC and a 12' trailer full of stuff on the truck, I finally got to drive it by itself.

It's got a straight pipe, Edge performance computer, plus all the mods for the weight.

So I thought I'd see what it can do. I was going hard. I can spin the tires a bit in almost every gear. And that's not popping the clutch. That's proper shifting with no torque applied until my foot is off the clutch pedal. Then press the accelerator and the tires lose grip a little in every gear but 6th, as it pushes you back in the seat. . Around 1800+ RPMs it feels like the power band of a dirt bike.

I was going 80 with everyone on the highway today and let it creep up to 90. Then I floored it. It STILL pushed me back in my seat.

Way too squirrely to push any harder than that without the TC on the back. Suspension and wheels and tires way too stiff and bouncy for it to be safe to push it any faster.

I assume some of you with modded diesel trucks can relate.

This thing is WAY more powerful than my first car was. A Mustang 5.0 Gt.

Iโ€™m astounded the difference the diesel torque makes when you use it for speed.

Before anyone yells at me, I'm done being a maniac. Just wanted to see what she can do. Cruised comfortably at 75 with TC and 12' trailer for 1600 miles. Cruises comfortably at 80 all day long with the TC. Empty, it's a freaking* rocketship. Unbelievable acceleration.

Just felt like sharing in case others have modded trucks.

RAV 4?
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
What r u driving? Fil out sig plz...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of this camper pullng a 5er that passed me on the Interstate but had to get off to refuel. He then again passed me about 20 miles farther on and then he was on the side of the road with a blown trailer tire. Bet I got to my campsite sooner than he got to his and a lot cleaner too.

Speed kills and kills tires too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œCruised comfortably at 75 with TC and 12' trailer for 1600 miles. Cruises comfortably at 80 all day long with the TCโ€

Did you try stopping quickly? 400 feet in a well maintained car/pickup at 80 mph. Truck with camper...550? Add a small trailer...650?

For sure! This is open highway speeds. You don't really stop on a highway. You change lanes or take the shoulder.

Gotta be gentle on the back roads.

So long as the idiot in front of you don't do anything stupid. Think it's termed 'assured clear distance' when it comes to an accident and liability for it.

65 mxa for me. It's a vacation, not the Indy 500.

All gets back to the 'me too' attitude. Have to be first no matter what. Myself, I prefer to be bringing up the rear and get there safely and in one piece. So does my wife and our dog.
2015 Backpack SS1500

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œCruised comfortably at 75 with TC and 12' trailer for 1600 miles. Cruises comfortably at 80 all day long with the TCโ€

Did you try stopping quickly? 400 feet in a well maintained car/pickup at 80 mph. Truck with camper...550? Add a small trailer...650?

For sure! This is open highway speeds. You don't really stop on a highway. You change lanes or take the shoulder.

Gotta be gentle on the back roads.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
Keep this traction issue in mind on wet roads. My truck on wet roads is o.k. until my tires rollover painted lines. If I got any pedal at all, that tire will spin. It's pretty hard to drive on wet roads because of that. Intersections are worst because of the thick white lines for crosswalks and such. As I drive over a cross walk wet,my tires break loose and I just gotta get off the throttle.

Yes. These startle the heck out of me sometimes.

I'm very light on the throttle when it's wet. I don't end up sliding on these things when accelerating, but they scare the heck out of braking!

Feels just like ice with these semi tractor trailer type tires I have. Slips and slides on paint until I find pavement again.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I've learned in 70 odd years and that is someone always has something faster....

You might be surprised if some old fart has a Gixxer in the garage.

I gave up on that **** years ago.
2015 Backpack SS1500

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m that grandpa in the old white dually that will blow your doors off if I feel like it.
Almost nothing under my hood is stock.

Heh heh heh... ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.