Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED for the stove hood

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Something I should have done a long time ago:

LED for the stove hood
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
17 REPLIES 17

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I would be afraid of the heat from a stove top damaging the LED. As others noted, its not used for long anyhow. The stove top, and the one in the clothes closet are the only two I have not converted to LED. For ceiling lights I bought ones that look similar the ones in the Jake2250 post above, that are two layers with space between to allow for cooling of components. I got them from M4Products and like them very much. I also got the quarter sized G4 side pin lights to replace halogens from M4.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
I don't think the brake lights need to be LED. It gets energy mostly when the tow truck is running and therefore don't draw much from battery reserves.

There isn't much need to upgrade stove hood to LED either. This is only a single bulb, often lower intensity than ceiling lights, and it's only On during a part of cooking time. Won't hurt though.

I replaced my stove light with LED. At $1.50 on Ebay it's a no-brainer. A little tip here - look for LED boards with the socket rigidly attached to the board, - makes replacement easier. Can be a round board or a "cob light" like the one in the video. Another tip - get at least 150 lumens, but not more than 300. You don't need too much light at this short distance.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer

I bought a pack of six of these from a seller on Ebay, 250 lumens, they work perfectly under the stove hood.
I used a small strip of Velcro to mount, has been working for over three years now!

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
I don't think the brake lights need to be LED. It gets energy mostly when the tow truck is running and therefore don't draw much from battery reserves.

It (the brake lights, marker lights and tail lights ONLY get power from the truck, and NEVER use onboard battery power.

The advantage though is LED is really bright and penetrating -- for added safety.

Saw the difference lately between my LED rear lights of my truck and the non-LED of my trailer.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

It (the brake lights, marker lights and tail lights ONLY get power from the truck, and NEVER use onboard battery power.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Seems like a "paddle" type LED would make more sense in the hood. That's what I installed.

x2. Slightly cheaper than a cob, too.

Electricity savings on stove light are negligible since it's (usually) installed less bright than ceiling lights, and is only needed while you cook. OTH, 3 or 4 room lights that are On for a few hours daily - each one being a double light - save a lot of energy when converted to LED.

Sellers claims on "superbright" are about as informative as some Chi-bay item description saying "The Best ..... "- fill the blanks :). What you should be looking for is brightness number in Lumens and color in K. Old ceiling bulbs have brightness 300 Lumens and color 2700-3000K. K higher than 3000 means color less yellowish and more whit-er/blue-er.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just went out and replaced my stove light with one of the flat panel LED bulbs. I did not see an easy way to change the mounting to aim the light down on the stove, so I slowly and gently twisted the flat panel while hold the connector. It turned part way pretty easy, dug some silicon out of the base and finished turning it 90 degrees, points down on stove now.

Thanks for the reminder on changing it, I think I am down to a couple of lights left, the bedroom florescent (sp?) fixture (I have the led strips, just need to remove bulbs and ballast and install) and the halogens that are on a dimmer.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bartlettj wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:

Coleman. I don't think the brake lights need to be LED. It gets energy mostly when the tow truck is running and therefore don't draw much from battery reserves.

The brake lights should be the best place to use LEDs because of the bright, instant on light helps get the attention of the texting tailgater.

Some tow vehicle circuits do not like LED's.

That is true if replacing the tow vehicle incandescent bulbs with LED. I haven't heard of an issue doing it with the trailer lights. Can you sight an example?

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
bartlettj wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:

I have a new RV and I'm glad all of the lights are LED and not those energy hog counterpart. Also, it actually made me decide to save money into buying another battery.

What brand RV? The current Rockwood and previous Keystone were advertised as "LED lighting". They did have LEDs....except for the range hood, porch light, running lights, brake lights, etc.

Coleman. I don't think the brake lights need to be LED. It gets energy mostly when the tow truck is running and therefore don't draw much from battery reserves.

The brake and marker lights are powered by the tow vehicle.

Must be asking too much with LED price 4 to 8x ordinary bulb.

I mean alternator is running to charge battery hence energy draw is less than replenishment in charging.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:

The brake lights should be the best place to use LEDs because of the bright, instant on light helps get the attention of the texting tailgater.

Some tow vehicle circuits do not like LED's.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:

I have a new RV and I'm glad all of the lights are LED and not those energy hog counterpart. Also, it actually made me decide to save money into buying another battery.

What brand RV? The current Rockwood and previous Keystone were advertised as "LED lighting". They did have LEDs....except for the range hood, porch light, running lights, brake lights, etc.

The brake and marker lights are powered by the tow vehicle.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
RTCastillo wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?