cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Simple modification to make steps more visible

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When parked at home, the 5er sits in the drive way in front of the garage. I can park the camper on either side of the drive way and with the back door on the opposite side, I have even more options now.

I very often switch sides of the drive way, depending on how wet it is or how soft and muddy the ground is. When the ground is soft, I always park the camper in the drive way so the main entry door opens over the asphalt. In the Summer months, when it's more dry, we enjoy the door opening over the grass on the opposite side of the drive.

With doors on both sides of the camper now, the entry steps are always in the drive way now. The only problem with these MoRyde style steps is, they extend outward quite a distance.

Backing the trucks out of the garage bothers me, especially having to leave for work in the morning at 7:00 am or before and it's still very dark outside. I live in the country, and it's dark here.

The problem I'm up against is seeing those steps and knowing how far out they are from the camper, especially if the slides are retracted (in). So I came up with a simple solution to make the steps a bit more visible and considering we have the steps on the opposite of the trailer, in campgrounds, I see where this could be an obstacle, especially at night with kids running through your campsite. I can just visualize a kid, or even an adult tripping over the back steps. So came up with a simple starter solution. At least in my own drive way they will help. If anyone else has concerns about someone stumbling over these type of steps, even on the regular side, feel free to copy my idea.

First, reflective automotive red and white tape on both sides of both sets of steps. Simple. Second, I had some left over brackets from several years ago for installing wire racks, which I installed two travel trailers ago. And the self-taping screws were from a project I did almost 30 years ago. The reflective tape was less than $10 for 4 pieces, and 2 pieces when on each side of the steps. The drive way end reflectors on the stick were about $2.50, all from WalMart. The slide catches and screws, were parts left over from years gone by.

Enjoy the pics:

The drive way and garage. House is to the right. We park the camper on either side of the drive, depending on how wet the ground is. As you can see, when it's dark, and slides in, it's hard to see those steps. So, added the tape and the reflector.

Other side of the trailer with tape and reflector installed:

Closer up:

11 REPLIES 11

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Truck stops and aotu parts sell that, so dies Wally Wrold.

Search for "Conspicuity tape" on Amazon if you like online shopping.
That's what the stuff is called that has alternating red and white.

Searching for "DOT-C2 tape" should also get you the same or more hits, if you have trouble spelling "conspicuity".

I took some all white DOT tape and cut it narrow to put on the edges of my Kwikee steps and also marked my slides with it so it shows front and back when extended.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Use a good solar light with motion sensor

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
" I see where this could be an obstacle, especially at night with kids running through your campsite."

The little Bast#@ds get what they get running thru Camp Sights!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Almot wrote:
Reflective strips are a wonderful thing in the night. Look a bit industrial in daytime, though.

3M makes that stuff in any colour in the rainbow, including black.

Invisible during the day, glows bright white when lit up.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
reflective automotive red and white tape on both sides of both sets of steps.

Truck stops and aotu parts sell that, so dies Wally Wrold.

Search for "Conspicuity tape" on Amazon if you like online shopping.
That's what the stuff is called that has alternating red and white.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like tom Boudet simply leave the light on.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the reflector isn't enough try a bike flag.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
The reflectors are a good idea.
If you're not using the fifth wheel, why not just retract the steps on the driveway side?

Probably doesn't want to retract it. Reflective strips are a wonderful thing in the night. Look a bit industrial in daytime, though. Painting the sides in white or yellow would help too, if there is some old can of paint around.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
If you're not using the fifth wheel, why not just retract the steps on the driveway side?

X1, I had the same question but figured I didn't really understand the situation :):):)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
On our snall motorhome, the steps are black and are open like most. After our older, larger dogs both passed away, we acquired a much smaller toy dog, who had been trained not to jump off of or onto anything, especially a grooming table. So, it turns out that he did not have any idea how to jump. With the bigger dogs, the steps were no problem at all, but ith this small one, he was totally clueless, even after we led him up the steps many times. Then I figured out the problem, that being very low, all he could see was the narrow edge of the steps!! We fixed the problem by putting reflective tape on the edges of the steps, and on the side of the rig at the top of the steps. Now, he can see the steps, and has no problem coming up them. Only problem is the clear screen door, which he bashed into when getting in a hurry. Put some tape on the bottom of it also.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer