cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Air Conditioner

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking at a freestanding 8000 btu air conditioner. It's rated at 1040 watts and 9.2 amps. I don't know if that's running or startup rating.

I would like to know if my Honda eu2000i generator will run it?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
10 REPLIES 10

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Get a dual hose like mine.
It takes outside air from one hose and cools the condenser then dumps the hot air outside through the other hose.
It also uses the condensed water from the evaporator and pushes it out the through the condenser further enhancing cooling and simultaneously draining the water.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
1L243 wrote:
I am looking at a freestanding 8000 btu air conditioner. It's rated at 1040 watts and 9.2 amps. I don't know if that's running or startup rating.

I would like to know if my Honda eu2000i generator will run it?

That is running and it will be darn close. it might or not.

Starting could be as high as 30 amps on that model but so brief odds are it would NOT trip the Honda's overload sensor. a 15 amp breaker should work on that model.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Does the freestanding have a water drain? If not, how will you monitor the water build up in the catch pan of the AC? Depending on the humidity, the catch pan can fill up in a few hours. Which renders the AC inop until you dump it. Kind of a drag if you are not always in the RV. Doug

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The amps listed is almost always the continuous draw not the startup surge.

It likely will start it but it's on the edge, so no guarantees.

One thing to keep in mind with these is you want the 2 hose versions. The single hose version pulls air from inside the RV to cool the coils...the result is you are constantly pulling the already cooled air out and dumping it outside.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It depends on the surge. It may run it. It may not depending on your location.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, your Honda will run it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
How are you planning to exhaust the hot air?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that Don, but in this case dealing with a single appliance I didnt think potential vs real was enough difference to matter. And for what its worth, Honda in their brochures defines it as watts. So staying with that term seemed reasonable.
Is there a circumstance like this where it would make an appreciable difference?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
That is 1600 VA not 1600 watts.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
As you know from the specs you listed it should "run" it easily. Your running watts rating is 1600, The starting watts will be closer, and without knowing what the claimed draw of the AC it's difficult to answer, but, the honda's have a reputation for being able to go past their published specs by a lot of folks in here. You're close with a listed starting watts of 2000, but others in here have said they run 11,000 btuh units with them. Just make sure you are only powering the ac when you try it, shut off the converter and any other draws. And if you go to a higher elevation all this changes, so consider that as well.