Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moab, Utah early Oct 2019 - CG Suggestions

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moab, Utah early Oct 2019

We are in the early planning for a two week trip to Moab, Utah. We will primarily be off-roading in Jeeps (75%) with some time visiting the nearby National Parks (25%).

We want a nice developed commercial CG, clean, maintained, good bathhouses, dog area, wi-fi, etc. It needs to be centrally located to the offroad trailheads if possible. We will be in a truck camper pulling a small boat and we will be driving our Jeep Rubicon. Currently we are looking at the Moab KOA. We stay in KOAs a lot and this one looks very nice. We know nothing about the campgrounds or the Moab area. We have only passed thru Moab one time many years ago.

As mentioned before, we will be there primarily to ride the local trails in our lightly modified Jeep Rubicon. There will be other friends traveling/riding with us with their Jeeps. Will mainly be on the easy-moderate trails.

The approximate dates are 1-14 Oct 2019.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
BradW
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
20 REPLIES 20

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Onion Creek and Fisher Towers are actually listed in the Funtreks Moab Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails book.
I love me some land yachting

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
We ended up reserving two RV sites for ten days at Archview. Thanks all for the help.
Brad

A must drive is up Onion Creek off Hwy 128 fantastic rock formations and not many peeps know about it.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We ended up reserving two RV sites for ten days at Archview. Thanks all for the help.
Brad
Wake Up America

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
We like Portal but don'tknow if they like truck campers.

unlblkrubi
Explorer
Explorer
Had I looked a little harder when I was in Silverton and bought the Funtreks book for Colorado I would have got the one with a chip for my GPS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utTrFSmEzus

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
4runnerguy wrote:
Busskipper wrote:

4runnerguy has done a lot of the research for you. Take a little time and read through his info and you will learn a lot on Moab.

Thanks for citing my post on everything Moab. I should have chimed in earlier. I did a few more updates after my return from my April trip. Probably a continuing project.

Lots of great Moab info on your thread. Man, I wish I had that blue 86' 4runner we bought new back. That was a great truck, but wasn't much of a tow rig in those Colorado mtns pulling a 16' Sunline TT. I had to drop all the way down to 1st gear to get up to the Eisenhower Tunnels on I70. Oh, the locals just loved me. They all waved as they went by. ๐Ÿ™‚
Wake Up America

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
unlblkrubi wrote:
https://funtreks.com/product/guide-moab-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trials-3rd-edition/

Yep, that is the book we bought a couple of weeks ago on Amazon. Lots of very good train info in there.
Wake Up America

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely stop at the Visitor Center in town for trail information and books for sale. Sells has one but there are others. October is a great time to be there.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Busskipper wrote:

4runnerguy has done a lot of the research for you. Take a little time and read through his info and you will learn a lot on Moab.

Thanks for citing my post on everything Moab. I should have chimed in earlier. I did a few more updates after my return from my April trip. Probably a continuing project.

Ken,

I've recommended this often - even on the other Forum - irv2 - few people know the Southwest like you - thanks for sharing.

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

unlblkrubi
Explorer
Explorer
I was all over the San Juans and Moab for the last three months, may follow you guys out next year.

unlblkrubi
Explorer
Explorer
https://funtreks.com/product/guide-moab-backroads-4-wheel-drive-trials-3rd-edition/

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
BTW; the road off Rt 279 that you will automatically connect to as U come out of the canyon bottom past the Evaporation pools company may be called Jug Handle arch not Tea pot. There is a 4x4 book sold all over Moab town, about $20 at the visitors center. It Fully describes all the trails in the Moab area with point to point and even turn by turn with GPS coor. It breaks down trails acording to difficulty, easy, fair, hard, you WILL break something and You may die categories.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
jolooote wrote:
Either the ones on the north side of town so U don't have to drive thru town traffic whenever U go somewhere. The best located for off roading is Arch View. Just be aware, if you don't ask, they will automatically rent you an 'Improved' RV site. Cost alot more. Only improvement at these sites is you can see the Arches in the Nat'l pk. When Jeepin, make sure to do the easy Shaffer Trail loop. Go out Rt.313 (May want to stop at the visitors center to ask trail conditions) to the pull out for Shaffer Trail switchbacks. It looks alot scarier from the top than it really is.(In dry weather only)go down the switchbacks into the bottom of the canyonlands, past "Thelma & Louise point where they drove the car off the cliff in the movie, continue all the way past the evaporation pools. Watch carefully for the left turn across train track at Tea pot arch. Drive all the way up this canyon (Long canyon) under the giant fallen rock(Pucker Pass) to the top. Get out and take some of the most amazing pictures ever. Continue following the good dirt road to reconnect with Rt 313. Turn right to go back down to the Arch View Camp. Also, see the Gemini Twin arches. Two ways to get their...the fun, fairly easy Jeep trail, up the cliffs across from the Campground or the good gravel road that can be done in any car. Ask at the office.

Great trail info. I'm printing it out and its going in the trip folder. Our jeep club has gone to Colorado many times, but next year they want to go to Moab. None of use have spent more than a day there, so we have started research early. I will be driving our "city Jeep" so we will be looking for the fun scenic trails and not the more challenging trails with difficult extreme obstacles. Can you recommend a good 4x4 trail guide book for the Moab area?

Thanks all for the great info!

BradW

Be sure not to Miss RT 128 along the Colorado River, not 4x4 but just beautiful with a few good drives along the way

Best of luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach