Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on travel in maritime provinces

CaptainNemo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

We are planning a trip to the Canadian maritime provinces (NB, NS, NL) next year and looking for some help with figuring out driving times. Typically in the US, we are comfortable traveling a max of 300 miles in a day, figuring that is up to 7 hours of driving, including stops, etc. As we're working out details of our trip, we're wondering whether the same approach will work for us in eastern Canada.

For example, Moncton to the North Sydney ferry is about 300 miles - - can we make that drive in a reasonable amount of time driving a 40ft MH with a toad? If not, how much time should we allow?

Is there a difference in driving times in Newfoundland? Is driving from Port au Choix to Grand Falls-Windsor do-able in a day?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.
CaptainNemo
7 REPLIES 7

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
You are getting some good suggestions. How much time were you planning for your trip?
- 2 months
- 3 months.

NOW. Congratulations. One person almost has the lingo right. Atlantic Canada includes Newfoundland. The Maritimes is the 3 provinces a part of Canada pre 1949.

I lived in NL (pronounced NEW fun LAND) for 24.5 years. Two weeks for that island is just a tease. The place is loaded with scenery and things to do. 2 really superb visitors centers in Gros Morne National park, one south of Bonne Bay and the other north. Not to mentioned the World Heritage Site at L'anse aux Meadows and the site at Norstead.

NS, Cape Breton Is. -- a week Meat Cove, Fortress at Louisbourg, Bra D'Or Lake, Farmer's Daughter at Whycocomagh.........Halifax, Bay of Fundy....

NB somewhat covered earlier, but really how's about the islands: Grand Manan, Deer Island, Campobello Island and near by parts of Maine. Tidal Bore.........Saint John City Market.

PEI, yeah, you can drive tip to tip in 4 hours, but heavens to betsy, what you'd miss. Oodles of scenery, historic places......

Like I said. Be a shame to try to whiz through on the transport highways.

:B

Oops, left out Labrador. Another week , fer sur!

I trust you're going to contact each province for their visitors guides.
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Krow
Explorer
Explorer
Just to avoid confusion... the "Maritime Provinces" are New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. The "Atlantic Provinces" are those three and Newfoundland and Labrador.

If you stay on the Trans Canada Highway in Newfoundland you'll see NOTHING but trees and hills (maybe the odd moose). You have to the leave the TCH to really experience the island. If you're going to Port au Choix then you'll pass through Gros Morne National Park - absolutely spectacular scenery. Visit both sides of Bonne Bay - Woody Point, Trout River on the south; Norris Point, Rocky Harbour on the north. Take the boat trip into Western Brook Pond.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Hopewell Rocks, NB at the Bay of Fundy, is a good spot if you want to experience the tides. We did both low and high over a few hours, same day for around $20(?) entry fee. Walk the "ocean" floor at low tide, have lunch and a nap, then head back down to the shore to see it all submerged under water. Nice way to spend a day/few hours.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention......book your ferry to NFLD early.

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
A trip like that you should maybe look at doubling
your time. There is so much to see and do, thatt planning
300/day will be the same as flying over it.

If you want to see the tides at Bay of Fundy, you buy a two-day
pass. This allows you to see the high and low tides.
Cabot trail is a good part of one day.
Nova Scotia has many areas of Amish people using horse and buggy.

Crossing over from Nova Scotia to PEI is "FREE". You pay to get off.
We crossed over on the ferry (40'MH towing a toad) for free and came back
on the Confederation Bridge. I believe they charge 17.50/axle.

The Maritimes are not huge areas like many US States. Enjoy the roses
and welcome to Canada.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Except nearer to the main cities and towns, there aren't many 4 lane roadways. Your best bet will be to try to stay on the Trans Canada (104/105) as much as possible, as it should be a bit straighter and less challenging for a big rig. If you get sidetracked and off on any of the "Cabot Trail" routes, you'll enjoy the scenery, but perhaps not the drive. I would try to stay on 105 between Port Hawkesbury and North Sydney with a large/long setup. I haven't driven the roads on the rock yet, so can't comment on them.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We have done the Moncton to North Sydney in an easy day with our 45; MH towing a car. You'll find Canadian roads very similar to U.S. roads.

You will want to slow down a bit going from Port au Choix to Grand Falls-Windsor first for the scenery and and second for the moose.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S