Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Great Smokies

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Shenandoah National Park, down the Blue Ridge Parkway, and into the Great Smoky Mountains. Ideally I'd like to enter Shenandoah in Front Royal, traverse Skyline Drive down to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and take BRP to the Smokies, camping along the way.

I'm flexible on season, length of trip, and miles travelled per day. I'm flexible on hookups or no hookups. We like hiking and to see wildlife, and we like cultural/historical stops and museums too.

I'm aware that my fifth wheel won't clear three of the BRP bridges, and that BRP ends in Cherokee. I'd consider getting off BRP in Asheville and taking the camper on I-40 to Gatlinburg to avoid those bridges. In that case, I'd finish BRP with the truck at a later time.

A few questions, in no particular order:
If it were you, how would you structure this trip? How long would you spend in each national park, and how long traversing the parkway?
Would you stay in national park campgrounds, or do you recommend private campgrounds, and why?
Would you get on and off the parkway to visit towns along the way?
What are your experiences with Verizon cell and data service along the Blue Ridge Parkway? I figure it'll be zero in the Smokies and spotty at best in Shenandoah. I'd love to just shut my phone off, but telecommuting gives us the flexibility to take the trip.

Thanks for any info you can provide! I'm thinking a lot about the trip and looking to talk to other people who've done similar.
2018 Grand Design Reflection Fifth Wheel 28BH
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L
18 REPLIES 18

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
ncscz wrote:
From now through September there is a resurfacing project under way on the Parkway. WLOS Asheville

There are 3 sections between MP 359 to 469 that will be in the project. Weather will have some effect on the schedule. The Parkway web page usually has current road conditions and closures updated daily.

Thanks, thatโ€™s good to know.
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
From now through September there is a resurfacing project under way on the Parkway. WLOS Asheville

There are 3 sections between MP 359 to 469 that will be in the project. Weather will have some effect on the schedule. The Parkway web page usually has current road conditions and closures updated daily.
CarriGo
Model 2320

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your suggestions. These are really helpful. Iโ€™m excited!
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
No, we did a series of cabins and motels. Sorry. For what its worth Fairy stone had no coverage, Peaks of Otter was weak, the rest was generally decent, if m'lady needed to make a call, and the signal was too weak we would just continue a mile or two and it would come right back. There are so many overlooks that are higher elevations that you may have to stop, but you could stop and recieve any calls or messages.

Thanks, this is really helpful. Puts my mind a little more at ease.
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Big Meadows Campground. It was ok. As others had mentioned,Loft Mountain is nice. But if you want to get off the parkway a little,Sherando Lake is a nice Forest service campground with electric hookups,nice showers and a lake with a beach.Further south is Philpot Lake. The forest service campground has some real nice sites right on the lake. They have electric hookups

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
runeatcamp wrote:
Hello all,

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Shenandoah National Park, down the Blue Ridge Parkway, and into the Great Smoky Mountains. Ideally I'd like to enter Shenandoah in Front Royal, traverse Skyline Drive down to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and take BRP to the Smokies, camping along the way.

I'm flexible on season, length of trip, and miles travelled per day. I'm flexible on hookups or no hookups. We like hiking and to see wildlife, and we like cultural/historical stops and museums too.

I'm aware that my fifth wheel won't clear three of the BRP bridges, and that BRP ends in Cherokee. I'd consider getting off BRP in Asheville and taking the camper on I-40 to Gatlinburg to avoid those bridges. In that case, I'd finish BRP with the truck at a later time.

A few questions, in no particular order:
If it were you, how would you structure this trip? I would start exactly as you stated, at Front Royal, Skyline Dr. is 105 mi long, with a speed limit of 35 mph.
How long you spend depends on what you want to see? do, and how much hiking you want to do, there are about 500 mi of trails on Skyline dr.
I would absolutely stay in the Park, we have stayed at Big Meadows CG, F loop has large pullthrough site, lots of shade, like most Fed parks, there are no hookups, but a nice dump station and water fill.
There is also a No generator area, ( I don't remember which loop).
We have also stayed at Loft Mtn CG, great CG especially A loop, pullthroughs mostly level, shade, & great views.
We usually don't visit the towns off the Park, except to shop & resupply.
We have only done the Northern end of BRP, which I don't find as nice as Skyline Dr., many of the overlooks are grown up, completely blocking views in some places.
We have Verizon, and find service to be spotty, at least on the northern end. We don't worry about data, except in a CG, we've never camped on BRP, but, there is a gorgeous little National Forest CG just off the BRP, Sherando Lake, with elect hookup, in B & C loops, and a dump station & water fill, along with 2 small lakes for swimming & fishing, C loop takes reservations, but is hard to get a site at times.
How long would you spend in each national park, and how long traversing the parkway?
Would you stay in national park campgrounds, or do you recommend private campgrounds, and why?
Would you get on and off the parkway to visit towns along the way?
What are your experiences with Verizon cell and data service along the Blue Ridge Parkway? I figure it'll be zero in the Smokies and spotty at best in Shenandoah. I'd love to just shut my phone off, but telecommuting gives us the flexibility to take the trip.

Thanks for any info you can provide! I'm thinking a lot about the trip and looking to talk to other people who've done similar.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/tunnel-heights.htm

The heights on this chart are the very edge, off the road and into the shoulder, and the center of the tunnel.

I have driven the Skyline and Blur Ridge Parkway many times; it is one of my favorite drives. Unless your RV is over 13" tall, you will have no problem with ANY of the tunnels. The tunnels are curved archway, so the confusion starts when the Park Service lists the clearance at the edge of the tunnel instead if the actual driving lanes. You may have to hug the center line, or partially straddle it, but you will not crash into the ceiling unless you drive off the road!

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Stay at Pine Mountain Resort in Pigeon Forge and explore the GSNP. The Pigeon Forge/Gatliburg shuttle stops at the campground. Very clean, quiet campground. Donโ€™t forget to stop at Nashville for a few days/nights, while in the area. Stay at the KOA in Nashville. Have fun.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
No, we did a series of cabins and motels. Sorry. For what its worth Fairy stone had no coverage, Peaks of Otter was weak, the rest was generally decent, if m'lady needed to make a call, and the signal was too weak we would just continue a mile or two and it would come right back. There are so many overlooks that are higher elevations that you may have to stop, but you could stop and recieve any calls or messages.

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
I haven't driven all of the BRP but my experience has been that about half of it had signal from Verizon, Places where I did not get a signal I only had to go another mile or two and the signal came back in Virginia. In NC below Boone NC area you may run into more problems. Skyline drive I had pretty good coverage through all but a couple of spots.

Places to stop and tour some, a few suggestions
From Front Royal, visit Harpers Ferry WV before getting on Skyline Drive. There are several caverns to visit along the drive, wineries and micro breweries. At the southern end stay in the Charlottesville area. Tour Monticello for a day before starting down the BRP.
Around mile 27 from the BRP off route 56 is an exit to go to Crabtreee falls its just a few miles east of the BRP. Easy hike of about 3 miles to the main falls. Easy parking for a truck, RV can be tight.
Farther south, Peaks of Otter (mile 86) is a nice stopover.
The town of Floyd for some Bluegrass Music, (mile 165)
Rocky Knob visitors area. As well as Fairy stone State Park, which is a quiet park but limited number of hookups.

The US 58 exit at Meadows of Dan gives you a short (10-12 mile) run to the east to see Lovers Leap which is spectacular, but be cautious on that stretch of road, it has some sharp twist and turns.
New River Trail State park in Va, near Galax Va, (exit 205) has numerous trails is very popular with Hikers.
The Blue Ridge Music center (mile 215) has some free demonstrations and covers traditional bluegrass music.
From there south there are several nice NC State parks, side trips that may interest Blowing rock , Tweetsie RR,
Mount Mitchell, Tallest point east of the Mississippi, And Asheville south as mentioned by others.

From there south others have mentioned, Asheville, etc. Have a great trip.

Terrific, that's better cell coverage than I was expecting. Did you by chance stop in any campgrounds along Skyline or BRP?

And thanks for all the stop recommendations!
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

runeatcamp
Explorer
Explorer
DouglasC wrote:
Been a long time ago but we did the whole Skyline Drive, BRP in 5 days, a little over 100 miles per day. Stayed in campgrounds on the SD/BRP including Loft Mountain. We did the trip in September with a Class C motorhome - -
our friends had a 33' Class A MH. It was a leisurely trip with beautiful fall colors! Made lots of stops along the way - - mostly sights on the SD/BRP. Only got off once to visit the Luray Caverns in VA. Would love to do it again sometime.

Thanks, this is helpful!
2019 Ford F-350 SD 6.7 L

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't driven all of the BRP but my experience has been that about half of it had signal from Verizon, Places where I did not get a signal I only had to go another mile or two and the signal came back in Virginia. In NC below Boone NC area you may run into more problems. Skyline drive I had pretty good coverage through all but a couple of spots.

Places to stop and tour some, a few suggestions
From Front Royal, visit Harpers Ferry WV before getting on Skyline Drive. There are several caverns to visit along the drive, wineries and micro breweries. At the southern end stay in the Charlottesville area. Tour Monticello for a day before starting down the BRP.
Around mile 27 from the BRP off route 56 is an exit to go to Crabtreee falls its just a few miles east of the BRP. Easy hike of about 3 miles to the main falls. Easy parking for a truck, RV can be tight.
Farther south, Peaks of Otter (mile 86) is a nice stopover.
The town of Floyd for some Bluegrass Music, (mile 165)
Rocky Knob visitors area. As well as Fairy stone State Park, which is a quiet park but limited number of hookups.

The US 58 exit at Meadows of Dan gives you a short (10-12 mile) run to the east to see Lovers Leap which is spectacular, but be cautious on that stretch of road, it has some sharp twist and turns.
New River Trail State park in Va, near Galax Va, (exit 205) has numerous trails is very popular with Hikers.
The Blue Ridge Music center (mile 215) has some free demonstrations and covers traditional bluegrass music.
From there south there are several nice NC State parks, side trips that may interest Blowing rock , Tweetsie RR,
Mount Mitchell, Tallest point east of the Mississippi, And Asheville south as mentioned by others.

From there south others have mentioned, Asheville, etc. Have a great trip.

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Been a long time ago but we did the whole Skyline Drive, BRP in 5 days, a little over 100 miles per day. Stayed in campgrounds on the SD/BRP including Loft Mountain. We did the trip in September with a Class C motorhome - -
our friends had a 33' Class A MH. It was a leisurely trip with beautiful fall colors! Made lots of stops along the way - - mostly sights on the SD/BRP. Only got off once to visit the Luray Caverns in VA. Would love to do it again sometime.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Always have been down there in mid June or early September.