cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice when dealership has caused damage to rv

Ejp
Explorer
Explorer
I will try to make this short....bought new fifth wheel last November and paid dealership to winterize. When we “unwinterized” it and turned pump on the inside flooded up through the floor. Turned off pump and it continued to flood. Service department is being upfront and honest as far as we know. Replaced hot water tank and split pipes underneath. Checked for any water damage. We may be picking it up this weekend and I thought we should make appointment with dealership management. Yes, no ? If yes, how should we approach it. What would you do? (FYI, we have have been rving for 15 years)
26 REPLIES 26

Ejp
Explorer
Explorer
Totally different departments. Dealership is separate from their service department. Even have two different locations. I know, then why are the dealership techs winterizing? I’m sure they’ve done it hundreds of times. I’m thinking communication was the issue. Someone screwed up. Service manager has never had this happen (so he says, and from the conversations I am inclined to believe him)so I guess we were just the unlucky ones. Story of our lives ??

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Is the dealership that was incapable of correctly winterizing the RV now the same dealer that is being trusted to make it right?

Depends on the tech. Probably different, and more experienced, techs did the repairs.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Is the dealership that was incapable of correctly winterizing the RV now the same dealer that is being trusted to make it right?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are going at it the right way.

i thought that old adage of lawyer up right away is hilarious. Around here any lawyer worth his salt is going to be right st $100 per hour and the RV will probably sink into the earth while the lawyers make money.

Hang in there and hoping you have a positive reply coming in the future.

Ejp
Explorer
Explorer
I’d like to thank everyone for their advice and opinions. We did not pick our Rv yet because my husband decided to have dealership change out the tires. Unfortunately ours came with load range e’s and he wants g’s. Anyway....so far we are satisfied with the way it is being handled. New hot water tank, split pipes replaced. Everything that could be inspected for water damage has been. All insulation is foam so that should be fine. Fortunately I was there when the water started pouring in and by using 4 large washer loads of bath towels I kept the water from soaking in. We immediately put fans anywhere we could. Unfortunately we are 2 hours from dealership and because of our schedule we could not be there to see when they took everything apart. Regardless we are going to insist on something in writing stating they were responsible for the damages and will be responsible in the future if there be any problems. The service manager told my husband that the dealership was at fault but we want proof and assurance of their responsibilities. I feel they should reimburse us for the $ we paid them to winterize it and I would like them to reimburse a reasonable amount for the cost of fuel to and from.
Hopefully they will be responsive to these requests, if not we will have to rethink what to do. I didn’t want to do any of this over the phone but I want the dealership to have this written letter ready when we meet with them before picking the Rv up.
I will definitely post the outcome. Thanks again!

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
A little water can cause a lot of damage but that does not mean it can't be fixed. Personally I would have been there to see what they were doing to repair it and see what real damaged was caused under the floors in cabinets or where ever while it was opened up.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got to love the folks that first thing out of their mouths is LAWYER. Don't you think thats a lot of whats wrong in this world today? Sounds like the dealer is taking care of it. Give them a chance.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
These posts are about as amusing as the crash reconstruction ones. Almost zero info on what actually happened much less if there was actual damage. Now we have lawyers, diminished values claims, or just throw it out and have the dealer give you a new one.

I agree with you...... "demand a new RV". Really???? Almost comical. IMHO Downtheavenue has it EXACTLY right. Get the dealer to make it right as in like new condition and warrant his work. Replacing ALL the water soaked insulation and making everything like "new". The dealer messed up, give them a chance to make it right before retaining lawyers! Geez :S

Dan

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
1 post from OP, rest are proven facts from expert posters. :S

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
These posts are about as amusing as the crash reconstruction ones. Almost zero info on what actually happened much less if there was actual damage. Now we have lawyers, diminished values claims, or just throw it out and have the dealer give you a new one.

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry this happened to you. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck getting things fixed.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do we know that the plumbing problems weren't from the factory and not caused by the dealer? Maybe the same thing would have happened if the pump had been turned on prior to the dealer doing anything with it. What does the dealer think happened? Maybe the factory needs to make it right.

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
If you get a lawyer as some on here suggest that will be the end of any communication with them. Their lawyer will only talk with your lawyer. You will be out of the loop. They can and probably will drag it out for months and your expenses will continue to mount. Lawyers are expensive and should only be a last resort.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
I would NEVER except an RV that was flooded. Think- floor rot, mold, destroyed insulation. Your floor will wrap before it rots.
Ask for a package of toilet paper????? How redicious when you could be looking at a destroyed RV !!!!! Except nothing less than a NEW RV.
GET A LAWYER.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co