Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WIFI extenders on sale at Amazon

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon Sale

Just a comment, I have no connection to this company or Amazon and haven't used this device. But I assume it would work in an RV park to extend the WIFI range/signal strength. It has 26000+ reviews...
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
7 REPLIES 7

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use a Ubiquiti Bullet powered outdoor antenna / router with PoE with an old Linksys router as access point. Full speed access for all my devices in my RV.

Probably too complicated for many people but if you know anything about networking, it's great.

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
If it helps to know this, I recently changed my office service to an internet based calling service. Spent a lot of time with the tech, who'd been in the business 30+ years. I asked him about those WiFi extenders Camping World sells for $450 or so...

He said don't do it! It's a waste of money. The strength of the signal depends solely on the bandwidth the RV park provides, and this, of course, is more costly for higher bandwidths. Theoldwizard is correct, in that the signal the extender "receives" is simply a repeater, and reliable WiFi would come best to those who are closest to the source. Then, too, the system can be overloaded when there are more users than the bandwidth can support.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Read this post...
WiFi

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fizz wrote:
It's not the best for RV use in a campground.
It's for in house use with your own router. Use it to extend the range to remote locations in your house. I have one and it works ok but it's not that powerful.

What is better for CG use? I think I have a diamond repeater but I'll have to check in the camper.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the Netgear repeaters and it does allow my tablet to stream Netflix without buffering when I plug it into the RV, something it will not do without the extender. This is with the RV parked beside the garage. It does not change the bandwidth available and in fact while signal strength goes up the speed of connection seems to be less, although still enough to avoid buffering Netflix. That is my observation.

So in a RV park it may help get the signal you are receiving from one end of the RV to the other but will not improve your connection speed.
Turret Class traveler

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Tech guy, but NOT a WiFi expert !

From my research, most "extenders" are actually "repeaters". They pick up the signal and repeat it (in theory amplifying it). Because the data is transferred in packets and must be repeated in packets, it cuts your through put in half.

The simplest way to get extended range on a laptop is to purchase a USB-WiFi adapter that supports and external antenna. Run a wire to your RV roof and hook up an antenna. This is not rocket science, and should cost less than $100.

Of course, it only works on the laptop. If you want all of your wireless devices in your RV to enjoy a better signal, it is going to get complicated/expensive.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the best for RV use in a campground.
It's for in house use with your own router. Use it to extend the range to remote locations in your house. I have one and it works ok but it's not that powerful.