cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rock protection for toad.

ssands
Explorer
Explorer
What are you using to protect the front of your toad? I have a Tiffin DP towing a 2015 Chevy Equinox.
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government
results from too much government."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
--Thomas Jefferson

Steve,Sharyl and Cody
2014 Allegro Red
2015 Chevy Equinox
14 REPLIES 14

deeje1
Explorer
Explorer
Dolly vs Flat ? FWD vs 4WD = $ ? I've noticed that Saturns are very light. Toyotas are heavy.
LTZ 6.2
Convince the young ones that you must work 6 days in order to rest 1.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the Roadmaster Guardian since 1999 and had very good luck with that.

Ed Headington

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
dkreuzen wrote:
I use a Roadmaster Tow Defender. Attaches to Roadmaster tow bars and it is easy to install. Like other similar units it can be a problem if you have rear exhaust.
I used the Tow Defender for 35,000 miles with no trouble. My Journey had a rear exhaust, but it had a downfacing deflector. Since the Tow Defender sits above the tow bar rather than below it (like the Protect-a-Tow does), it was kept out of the way of the exhaust.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Roadmaster Tow Defender. Attaches to Roadmaster tow bars and it is easy to install. Like other similar units it can be a problem if you have rear exhaust.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
nothing. no real ding issues.

I'm fairly new to Motorhome ownership but I have towed our Jeep over 3000 miles and don't have any protection for the toad and no damage as of yet.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

ssands
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We use a Protect-A-Tow to protect our toad, but there can be some issues installing one on a rear exhaust DP.

That's my problem. I contacted protectatow and they said not to use their product.
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government
results from too much government."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
--Thomas Jefferson

Steve,Sharyl and Cody
2014 Allegro Red
2015 Chevy Equinox

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We use a Protect-A-Tow to protect our toad, but there can be some issues installing one on a rear exhaust DP.

Yep, that's what I use on my Bounder. Easy to Instal and stow. Fabric won't tear. Only ding I got was when I dollied once before I set up my flat tow and not using any protection.

I use a 10" drop hitch and was concerned about it going under it. E-mailed the company and they said cut a hole in it and I'll be fine, it won't tear. That's what I did and good to go.

deeje1
Explorer
Explorer
We have found that a small detail of Gurka always helps. To them it is like trap shooting.
LTZ 6.2
Convince the young ones that you must work 6 days in order to rest 1.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We never got one ding towing our Jeep Liberty with our Seneca (even going to Alaska). When we went to Alaska in 2016 with the Dutchstar, we did almost $4,000.00 in damage to the Jeep. Insurance covered thank goodness. We now use the Blue Ox Kargard. So far it has protected the Jeep over 10,000 miles since the 2016 Alaska trip.

When we leave for Alaska next month, we obviously will be using the Kargard. I am also going to secure a piece of carpet across the windshield upside down to protect the windshield.

We will see if those two work up the Alcan.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
One RVer, on a trip to Alaska, installed a plywood shield in the front of the toad.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Wrangler, and use an 8' x 6' HD mesh cargo net to cover the nose (lights and rad). It's secured with bungee cords hooked under the Jeep, and through it's numerous brass grommets.
We fold the 8' length in half to 4' of vertical double protection, and place one 6' edge along and and secure it in place just above the knuckles for the tow bar. That covers the lights/rad and the top edge of the hood. The top 6' edge is secured to the outside mirrors, again using bungee cords through the brass grommets and wrapped and secured around the mirror arms.
It cost us about C$45 for the HD mesh net, and a few bucks for the bungee cords at Harbor Freight. HF probably has similar HD mesh cargo nets. We got ours in Canada at Princess Auto.
Princess Auto HD mesh cargo net

Sorry I haven't taken any pictures of it in use. If the weather ever improves....
It's simple and does what the other store bought solutions do for a lot less $$$.
We have towed with nothing and have seen very minimal evidence of stone hits. Maybe we were just lucky?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
I use bra's from Coastline RV and Offroad on both my Bus and toad. This is the second coach bra from them, and the third toad bra. If you contact them and they do not have a pattern for your toad or rig, they will make one for you if you bring it to their business. They've done this for me for three covers. We regularly travel to Alaska (7 trips) and the southwest (every year since 2005) and have no issues with their bra's. Yes, you do have to clean behind them, but we have had NO PAINT DAMAGE using these bra's
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
nothing. no real ding issues.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate